Temple_Carraig_Admissions

Quoted post

ArthurG

#8 Just a thought

2014-02-18 21:44

.... Church of Ireland is in a minority. Of the 7 feeder schools to Templecarrig, only 2 of them are COI, and one of them so far as I know at least, does not exclusively have COI pupils. Not looking for a row, but I don't think this level of reaction is required.

Replies

GervaiseL

#11 Re: Just a thought

2014-02-18 22:21:24

#8: ArthurG - Just a thought

The trouble is that the secondary school age population is going to double within the next few years:

There are 263 children currently in sixth class in Greystones and 519 in Junior Infants in the seven feeder schools. So Templecarrig and St Davids  will both be heavily oversubscribed within the next few years.

St David's dosn't have a religious priority and Templecarrig gave a clear commitment not to do so when seeking expressions of interest from local parents. Those expressions of interest were what got them the patronage. They got mine and I feel very misled!

All Are Equal, surely?

#29 Re: Just a thought

2014-02-26 13:59:26

#8: ArthurG - Just a thought

It's a point of principle - should children be discriminated against on any basis? Is one child more equal than another?

This is nothing to do with the school being under CoI patronage for the BOM have done no more here than many other BOMs in other faith based schools around the country do (but not St Davids in Greysotnes who do not discriminate on the baisis of religion).

No school should be allowed to discriminate on the basis of religion, more so if everyting - land, building, teachers, etc - are being paid for by the State, and where the bidder (CoI) said it would be open to all children, of all faiths or none, equally.

Such discrimination is just wrong, seperating tiny children on the basis of what religion their parents say they have is the stuff of dark the dark ages.

And by the way I also think it is wrong for any of the 'RC' primary schools in Greystones, or anywhere, to disciminate against 'non-RC' children as well. We need to move beyond such notions in Ireland.

In any event the short-sighted actions of the BOM have ensured is that the CoI, and probably any other faith, will never again be awarded patronage of any new school in the State until such time as the equal status Act is amended to remove the provision for schools to discriminate on the basis of religion. In short no faith can be trusted not to abuse this provision to 'look after their own', and it is clear that the Minister and the Department are incredulous that the BOM have done this and are kicking themselves at awarding the patronage of the school to a faith. It was a mistake they will not make again.

What a pity, what a mess, this could have been a great school and now it is just a monument to sectarianism. The BOM should surely review their position and resign, and the CoI should review its partonage and hand the school back to the State.