Temple_Carraig_Admissions

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Temple_Carraig_Admissions.

2014-02-18 15:09

I believe Temple Carrig School Should give equal access to children from all local schools, regardless of religion as they did for 2014.

2014-02-18 15:12

I think it is a disgrace that we even have to petition for this as Temple Carrig School should give equal access to children from all local schools, regardless of religion as they did for 2014 applicants.

2014-02-18 15:33

After extensive research of the 3 bidders and their commitments my support was given to TempleCarrig's original application (to the exclusion of other competitive bidders) based on their explicit and repeated assurances that they would provide equal access to children of the area regardless of their religion. As someone who attended a COI primary school I have many happy memories of education within the COI ethos. It is therefore all the more disappointing to feel that commitments that were so clearly set out as the fundamental positions and values of the school might potentially be set aside. I personally see this as a real moment of truth for the BOM of TempleCarrig in establishing how this school is established and perceived within the wider community. I hope that the BOM are beginning to appreciate the broad questions and concerns this issue has raised and return to their original policy and principles of open and equal access for all. In this day and age in Ireland surely equal opportunity and access is the only acceptable and responsible example we can set and the only reasonable standard we can accept for our children and our future generations.

2014-02-18 16:19

The school is to be built and run with taxpayers funds. It is essential that the commitments given at the time of the bids for patronage are honoured and all local children have equal access regardless of colour or creed.

2014-02-18 18:40

I supported the CofI patronage bid on the basis that all children from the 7 feeder schools in the local area would be given equal access to Temple Carrig secondary. I'm extremely disappointed and angry to hear that my children will now be discriminated against as we no longer meet the selective Admission criteria. I call upon the BOM to do the right thing and give us the school we were originally sold.

2014-02-18 20:00

Was going to write the same as #5 post, so a ditto here.

2014-02-18 21:14

I totally agree with comment 5. I think it is disgraceful that the school has made a U turn on what they promised when they were canvassing.
ArthurG

#8 Just a thought

2014-02-18 21:44

.... Church of Ireland is in a minority. Of the 7 feeder schools to Templecarrig, only 2 of them are COI, and one of them so far as I know at least, does not exclusively have COI pupils. Not looking for a row, but I don't think this level of reaction is required.

2014-02-18 22:05

There was so much optimism for this school, and now everyone I talk to is angry and let down by what is seen as underhanded and deceitful behaviour by the BOM. It is a such a sad start to what should have been a cause for celebration. The BOM needs to act.

2014-02-18 22:10

Absolutely deceitful,what a terrible start to what should be a positive time.I feel very angry and let down
GervaiseL

#11 Re: Just a thought

2014-02-18 22:21

#8: ArthurG - Just a thought

The trouble is that the secondary school age population is going to double within the next few years:

There are 263 children currently in sixth class in Greystones and 519 in Junior Infants in the seven feeder schools. So Templecarrig and St Davids  will both be heavily oversubscribed within the next few years.

St David's dosn't have a religious priority and Templecarrig gave a clear commitment not to do so when seeking expressions of interest from local parents. Those expressions of interest were what got them the patronage. They got mine and I feel very misled!

Puppy2

2014-02-18 22:40

Sibling priority isn't fair on those wishing to apply in later years. It only benefits the parents of those kids who get places in the early years. Based on the figures you give anyone without a sibling wouldn't have a hope of getting a place in 2021. I think it should be random selection for local kids attending the 7 schools.
Hipster

#13 Re: Sibling priority

2014-02-18 22:50

#12: Puppy2 -

That's a fair point Puppy2, it would just seem to make sense though to have siblings in the same school from a traffic management point of view and it's far easier for parents. In any school I know of siblings get priority entry and this will benefit any family who gain admission to the school.There is no doubt this school will be over subscribed regardless of any enrolment policy but it would be good to know that the selection process is fair and does not discriminate against children on the grounds of their religion or lack of religion.

GervaiseL

#14 Re:

2014-02-18 23:03

#12: Puppy2 -

Without sibling priority parents will be doing mulitple school runs and juggling different schools - we'll all be driving round in circles!

Puppy2

2014-02-18 23:05

Well it looks like Greystones needs yet another Secondary School!
GL

2014-02-18 23:08

That may be the best solution! I hate the idea of a big monster school that kids get lost in - 1000 pupils should be the max

2014-02-19 07:43

As a very concerned parent of one of the feeder schools, who changed her selection of the school representation based on promises made by COI in relation to adnmission policy at the time

2014-02-20 15:43

Genuinely shocked and disappointed at change in enrolment policy. Sad to see.

#19 Concerned!?!?

2014-02-21 20:50

What's wrong with St.David's? Jumping on the new school.com,patronage was won by COI are we all a little nieve but they are hardly going to turn COI children away now are they? There is no other school for them to go to is there?

#20 Another School needed

2014-02-22 11:57

I think we need to be fighting towards another new primary & secondary to cater for all the demand.

#21 Re: Concerned!?!?

2014-02-22 12:14

#19: Guest - Concerned!?!?

The question is  whether the patronage was won under false pretences.

It would be interesting to see how a re-run of parental preferences of primary school children would go now given that many parents claim that they gave preference to COI bid on the basis of the school being open to all regardless of religion.

This is why many feel that they were deceived and are upset about this deception.

The first time around a majority of parents opted for non-faith based patronage. This seems to have been forgotten:

Educate together-1440

VEC-577

COI-1843

It would be interesting (and appropriate) to do a re-run on the basis of what has transpired.

Hipster

#22 Re: Concerned!?!?

2014-02-23 16:51

#19: Guest - Concerned!?!?

St David's has always welcomed CoI children as well as children of other denominations and none. They don't discriminate against children based on their religion or lack of religion. All children living locally have an equal chance of attending the school if they apply in time.

Puppy2

2014-02-23 19:08

Fact is that most people who have signed this petition wouldn't touch St David's with a barge poll. They want their children to go to the shiny new school with a brilliant principal.

2014-02-24 11:32

I supported the CofI patronage bid on the basis that all children from the 7 feeder schools in the local area would be given equal access to Temple Carrig secondary.

#25 Stats

2014-02-24 19:38

The COI pupils in the 2 COI primary school are not going to fill all 120 places probably only at the most with parish affiliation your talking in the region of maybe 40 children approx leaves 80 spaces for every other child from remaining 5 schools I don't think it's that big a deal based on the COI winning Patronage! We do need another secondary school as well as this one as the numbers are getting bigger as the years go forward.