Reinstatement of Coach Brandon

Quoted post

2015-05-29 23:54

As a parent of a National team member, I feel that this decision has not taken my expectations of the BTA Coaching staff into consideration.

My expectation of the coaching staff on the national team (besides developing my swimmer) is to open my kid's eyes to different styles of coaching precicely so that he can make the determination as to what he wants and doesn't want to experience if and when he commits to swimming for 4 years in college.  I think that Brandon has met those expectations and provides a very realistic picture of what they can expect from D1 college style coaching.  Does his coaching style always resonate with my kid's personality in particular? Frankly, no - not always. Has he helped to motivate and develop my swimmer? Absolutely, yes.  And that is great because that is real life and the lesson that true respect has to be EARNED is a life lesson that my son has learned from Brandon.  If he walks aways from swimming right now and this is the one thing he has learned from 10 years on this team then I will consider that money and time well spent.

I think Brandon works very hard to prepare these kids for the reality of swimming at a high level, and his experience coming right from a top D1 college program carries enormous credibility and realism.  I use the term realism because I feel that he represents the reality of what swimming D1 in college could be like for them.  Some kids will figure that a program like that (with the coaching style that comes with it) is absolutely what they want and desire.  For some kids, that level of intensity and commitment will not be what they want. There is no right or wrong, it's all about what fits for their personality. 

But if a key expectation is to prepare these kids for making the right decision for their collegiate-level swimming, then there is no question that Brandon meets and exceeds those expectations.  

This action (which appears to be sudden and was certainly unexpected) makes me question how much focus we are putting on coaching staff expectations and development on a long-term basis, a facet of the team which is critical for the future success and stability of this program.  

I feel the loss of Brandon frankly takes this team down a notch in credibility, and drastically weakens our ability to recruit coaching staff going forward.  

I am hoping that there is a proces for reconsidering this decision.

Replies

#12 Re:

2015-05-30 00:24:31

#11: -  

I could not have said this better myself. Brandon prepares our kids for reality.

#22 Re:

2015-05-31 16:45:47

#11: -  

I could not agree more.  Very well said.