Request for reviewing the final year exam for the year 2019-20
We, the final year undergraduate students of Calcutta University in West Bengal, are in a state of confusion regarding our final examination. On this matter, we would like to draw your attention towards the prevalent practical issues in the wake of Covid-19 pandemic, keeping in mind the WHO’s guidelines on this subject.
1) Non residential students, usually stay in mess or rented house within the vicinity of their college . Currently , all these students are at their home due to lockdown. Thus, these students may not get suitable accommodation if the exam is taken in a haste without proper logistical planning. And problems like social stigmatisation arise on contamination for many students especially the ones from a rural background.
2) As our Govt. is announcing repeatedly to adhere to WHO's social distancing guidelines (10/12 feet) as well as to stop mass gathering to break the cycle of transmission. Now social distancing process may not be kept by all outside the examination hall during exam days which is troublesome.
3) a. There are many students who have qualified for admissions in reputed Institutes/ Universities in India / abroad as they had pre-planned for higher study after finishing graduation. So a health risk or delay in exam schedule may prevent him/her to do so.
b. There are many students who have opportunities to start their professional career after completion of Graduation. These section too are vulnerable to the risks aforementioned.
4.There is no confirmed news on the transport facilities like trains or buses commuting regularly and punctually without having any special rules. This is a huge concern for us.
5. Appearing physically for pen and paper mode examination at this stage of the pandemic , might backfire and infect a part or section of the students.
6.There is a big rumour about giving the exams online because going to the home centers possess all the health related problems mentioned above. Also appearing for exams from home is not feasible because some of us don't possess the means or proper internet connection to go through the entire process smoothly.
- All the above category students have submitted declaration to give Certificate on passing the graduation within July. Considering all Certificates would have been issued by the respective Universities within June as per previous records.
REMEDIAL ACTIONS TAKEN BY OTHER UNIVERSITIES:
To maintain Govt. Circular and to stop spreading of COVID 19 as well as to grab all opportunities by all the students, few Institutes / Universities have taken some remarkable decisions to overcome this situation. Some examples are mentioned below:-
1)University of Hyderabad(Website:www.thehansindia.com ) have decided to issue Certificates with two flexible option i.e. having average number given by the authority without Exam or give Exam after a certain period of time as per student’s choice .
2)Presidency University – As per news published by Anandabazar Pratrika (Bengali Newspaper) on 16th May’20, they have decided on some scientific method to judge all students through online assessment before issuing Certificate.
3)Delhi University published notification vide Ref. No.Dean (Exams)/02/2019-20 dtd.14.05.2020. Decision will be taken after carrying out open book test in their home if written exams can't be held from 1st july.
Considering the gravity of situation, we feel, you will be kind enough to review our appeal in such a manner that all the final year’s students would not have to go through the physical, mental and psychological stress of dealing with an exam in the midst of a pandemic.
With best Regards,
From: UG Final Year Students 2019-2020,
UG Final Year Students of CU Batch 2019-20 Contact the author of the petition
|Log in to manage your petition.|