A Petition for Transparency in Media Content Provided by the School District of Columbia County, Georgia
WE, THE UNDERSIGNED PARENTS AND TAXPAYERS OF COLUMBIA COUNTY, GEORGIA:
- The Columbia County School District current Media Policy states that "The Columbia County School District accepts the obligation to provide for a wide range of abilities and to respect the diversity considered in meeting this obligation."
- Media Centers and Teacher Libraries currently contain the book "Drama" by Raina Telgemeier, which contains overtly homosexual themes.
- When brought to the County's attention, the County has ruled that this book qualifies as "diverse" reading material and may remain in school Media Centers and Teacher Libraries.
- Homosexuality, along with general sexuality and transgender ideology, are sensitive topics that are best addressed at home.
- All schools in Columbia County should be required to inform parents that these topics are present in Media Centers and Teacher Libraries BEFORE children have access to them
- Items containing themes on sexuality, homosexuality, and/or transgender ideology be removed from Media Centers and Teacher Libraries
- If items are not removed, the County embraces a spirit of transparency and adds the following text to the current County Media Policy:
"The Columbia County School District hereby informs parents that Media Centers and Teacher Libraries may provide material containing sensitive topics such as sexuality, homosexuality, and/or transgender ideology."
SIGNED: PARENTS AND TAXPAYERS OF COLUMBIA COUNTY, GEORGIA
Katharine L. Allen Contact the author of the petition
|Log in to manage your petition.|