Balinese Artist in Residence for Music 8 (Balinese Gamelan)

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Balinese Artist in Residence for Music 8 (Balinese Gamelan).

Linda Burman-Hall
The author of this petition

2014-06-14 01:32

Please join me is requesting than an ethnic Balinese master musician remain associated with the Balinese Gamelan program in the coming year.

2014-06-14 02:56

Please make it possible to engage a Balinese Artist in Residence for Music 8. A Balinese artist brings so much to the program, both in terms of musical knowledge and expertise as well as cultural background, which makes the classes so exciting and enriching for the students, and certainly results in increased enrollment and higher levels of achievement.

2014-06-14 03:10

I experienced two years of this program, and having an actual Balinese musician and dancer was essential to the quality of experience. We learned far more musically and culturally than would have been possible without him. I have found many videos from university gamelan programs that do not hold ethnic and first degree artists in residence, and they look very silly indeed, not to mention uninformed. The resource is already here, and the connection made. Please keep him in residence.

2014-06-14 03:25

This makes a lot of sense to me, I'm definitely in support!

2014-06-15 05:42

please support this cause!

2014-06-15 05:55

The passion of this Balinese Artist really expresses himself in the cultural history of his music is really engaging and inspiring! His love and passion for it really embodies the realization of his music coming to life and into the student population. I would strongly recommend this Balinese Artist to make a difference in student's lives and to teach student's to experience his cultural history in his musical career

2014-06-15 07:08

He is an amazing leader and teacher. I loved hearing stories from my boyfriend. He really loved the course.

2014-06-15 14:36

Having Gde drum for this class the last year really enahnced the experience. It would be more than a shame if he or another balinese artist couldn't join us next year.

2014-06-15 18:05

Since Lou Harrison introduced the wonderful world of Gamelan to this area it has become a joyful musical
addition to our varied musical culture! I need to remain as part of the full musical student experience.

2014-06-16 00:17

I ran the Merrill Field Program fr. 1969-1993, and had students who were going to Indonesia w. Volunteers in Asia take gamelan with the music department. Also, I have attended many gamelan concerts, and feel that we have a wonderful resource at UCSC.
Nick Royal
joze

#11 Support excellence in education and the arts

2014-06-16 16:13

The reach of this program has extended far beyond the music department at UCSC because of the amazing depth and range of experience brought to this class by a native of Bali. Gamelan in Bali is inseparable from teamwork, community and personal dedication; qualities Gde exemplifies and brings out in all his work. This class has demonstrated its value for years. Please help it continue.

2014-07-09 13:37

It is a must not only for the Musicology students in general but for his family as well. He's passionately dedicated to his music and that's what matters most that's why it is a must to keep him!

Nestor Avillanoza

2014-08-11 11:08

Gede is a wonderful helper, much more a teacher. Great drummer as well! I hope to see him be a helper or a teacher at UCSC in the future!