Keep Historical Archives Assistant Position

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Keep Historical Archives Assistant Position.

Sue Kratsch

2010-12-13 18:16

Two friends and I traveled from Minnesota to Montgomery County Department of History and Archives, and other NY locations, to do research. This means money coming into the community. Please continue to staff this facility.
Christine Mangano

#52 Do not close the History and Archives

2010-12-13 23:30

My family was a founding family of Mongovtery County (the Winnes). I order the catalog at least every two years and stop at least twice a year. This research center is just as good as the New York State Libary. If it is necessary to keep it open, charge everyone a fee for using it. We cannot lose such a valuable assest to the History of New York State.
Barbara HOPPER

2010-12-14 18:26

As a user of this library's collections, I was impressed by its scope.

For those of us in the genealogy world, loss of this position would be a true hardship.

Libraries like this are so valuable to historians, researchers, demographers, and genealogists.

PLEASE keep the position active.
Terri Davis

#54 Stay put

2010-12-14 19:38

It is a comfort to know with everything else happening in this world, that history will be maintained in the area that it was created. Genealogists like myself, that are still finding family, in other states, need you and your history. Stay put and we will come.
Nancy Handy-Langlie

#55 Montgomery County Archives

2010-12-14 22:32

As a direct decendent of the original Palatine families of the Mohawk Valley, these archives are essential to the valley and its inhabitants. Please keep the archives open.

#56 unable to sign

2010-12-15 01:21

#55: Nancy Handy-Langlie - Montgomery County Archives 

I went to sign the petition just now and it has been closed. I want to support this effort. Please let me know how I can do that. 

Thanks,

Julia Gorrell

copy & paste

#62 Quoting the article in the Amsterdam Recorder 12/15/2010

2010-12-15 14:57

A resolution put forth by several supervisors cutting a part time archival assistant in the History and Archives Department failed. The cut would have left the department with one full-time position that is mandated by the state, and one part-time position.

This elimination would have been detrimental to the functionality of the department, and affect public access to the records, according to Fultonville village Historian Ryan Weitz, who started a petition to keep the position.

#63 ?Re:

2011-03-15 15:27