Keep Historical Archives Assistant Position

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Keep Historical Archives Assistant Position.

Sandy Allen

#1 Thanks Ryan

2010-12-10 00:35

for putting up this petition. I hope others will value the Department of History & Archives and that the supervisors will also appreciate the work that is done there.
Ryan Weitz
The author of this petition

#2 Re: Thanks Ryan

2010-12-10 01:02

#1: Sandy Allen - Thanks Ryan 

You're very welcome!!!! These are the times that we have to get out and let our representatives know what we think!

Sandy Nellis Lane

2010-12-10 01:57

The historical archives are important to people from all over the world.
Ken D. Johnson

#4 The Department of History and Archives

2010-12-10 02:15

Ladies and Gentleman,

We have been forced into this position by our elected representatives in Albany, the likes of former Assemblyman Paul Tonko, who think that there is simply no bottom to our pocket books. There have placed such undue burdens upon the working class to support the non-working class in a life style that many of us could only dream of having that we are finally broke. Yes, the County has a financial crisis on its hands. With that said, the County Board is either once again oblivious of simple economics or they have been forced to pick between supporting the non-working class or else! Maybe they learned this from the current economic wizard in the White House. The Archives is one of the few, if not the only political entity in this county which in the end, ends up bringing some economic benefit out of the expenditures of tax dollars. Each hundreds of persons from out of county come to Fonda to research the American Revolution, the Erie Canal, or simply family connections. Trust me one this one: I used to come to the Mohawk Valley for at least three weeks every year from Kansas and Nebraska. These tourists spend dollars in our county. A lot of them!!! Shutting down the county archives would make almost as much economic sense as shutting down our State Park System. So if we have to pick and chose between government funded programs for those unwilling to work [yes, there is a small subset of these individuals who truly deserve our support: VERY FEW!!!], let us choose one which generates tourism and local spending, not a continuance of the same old Democratic Party plan of robbing from those of us willing to work, to enrich the lives of those with no desire to work. I would suggest that they cut at least a dollar and a half from the County Welfare Budget for every dollar they cut from programs that benefit the County’s working citizenry.

Fort Plank Historian
Ken D. Johnson
Holly Thompson

#5 Keep Our Local History Alive!

2010-12-10 02:17

This position is so important to the preservation of our local history. Allowing the community to access the history of their family and their community will help to keep it alive for generations to come. Please do whatever you can to save our local archives. Understanding and appreciating our past can only help us serve our community and its residents in the future.
Sandy Allen

#6 Plead the case with an email to the board

2010-12-10 03:44

Email the Chairman of the Board of Supervisors

https://commerce.co.montgomery.ny.us/mail_secure/mailchairman.asp

We have to get them to understand the importance of the Department. It's more than just numbers on a sheet of paper.

Melissa Pilchen Zaleski

#7 Dont compromise what little we have left

2010-12-10 05:46

I agree that people come from out of state and other countries and utilize the archives.I have seen it myself first hand.Ancestral road trips bring people to our area.Its sad to say but what else does Montgomery County have to offer these days But history.Our area has an incredibly rich history that needs to be shared,we need to promote it not sabotage it .Money is made by the people that cannot make the trip via phone and mail for information these needs will not be able to be met while so under staffed.I think it is ridiculous that money will be wasted on things such as a bridge to no where in Amsterdam and our local treasure will be neglected.I understand in these hard economic times cuts need to be made but in the end I think these cuts are going to be detrimental to our community.
Dana Dunlap

#8 Earlene's help

2010-12-10 22:33

I want to thank Earlene in particular for her help in tracing my Revolutionary roots. Her insightful suggestions made ALL the difference. Her work is important and touches lives profoundly.
Please keep her on staff!!!!!!!!!!
Dana Dunlap
Sierra Madre Ca
323-394-4410
Sandra Lee

#9 Earlene needs to stay!

2010-12-11 00:09

Earlene has gone above and beyond the call of duty in helping me with my family research. The county should realize that they have a valuable resource at a bargain, considering the extra time and care she takes in addressing people's inquiries from all over.
Edward Knoblauch

#10 Support

2010-12-11 03:01

I am not a resident of Montgomery County, so I'm not signing the petition, but I am fully in support of the goal of the petitioners.

The Department of History & Archives was created in 1934, the middle of the Great Depression. We were a great deal poorer then than we are now but we set history as a priority. We still can.
Tom Planck

#11 Closing the Montgomery County Dept of History and Archives

2010-12-11 03:25

Closing down this Department will be a NATIONAL disgrace. Thousands of people from all over the USA have come to This Dept. of History and Archives to research/trace their family history/genealogy. They have Colonial, New york State and local/Tryon County records that are found NOWHERE else. It will be beond a national disgrace if any of these records get misplaced, lost, or most likely, under the current judicial conditions, somebody would steal certain records for a quick buck.
Melissa Zaleski (Mont Co Heritage society)

#12 Re: Support

2010-12-11 03:31

#10: Edward Knoblauch - Support 

Edward ,you do not have to be a resident of Mont. Co. to sign this petition so please do.And you have made a wonderful point,thank you for that.

Barbara Iaria

2010-12-11 03:32

PLEASE!!! Do not do this. The History and Archives is such an important place for anyone that loves history and family. Earleen has ALWAYS been such a great source of knowledge and help I don't know what I would do without her. Every year for the past 5 years I have spent numerous hours at the History and Archives in Montgomery County and others, looking for my heritage,( I travel from Vermont) I have always been able to count on Earleen, she is such an asset to this position. She loves this position and it shows though in every thing and everyone she helps. I am also worried about all the history they have there, who would see that it is being taken care of? I already know that in some of these type's of places the employee's don't care, information has been LOST and this is unacceptable. Our history weather it is a family history or not, is to valuable to be lost. PLEASE RECONSIDER THIS ACTION !!!! AND KEEP EARLEEN!!
alan scouten

#14 Montgomery County Archives

2010-12-11 03:51

Some of us have taken a lifetime to find our way to our family records in Fonda. You provide a priceless service. I hope to sit down with the Archives Assistant soon to be guided through the forest of Revolutionary War Records and to my fore-fathers and mothers.

#15 keep this going!

2010-12-11 04:54

Hello, I am among many persons who use Mongomery Archives . Many of our first were residents were from Montgomery County .I hope you consider keeping the Assistant position .Helene Hartley
Scot Brunick

#16 History repeats itself

2010-12-11 15:51

What looks good on paper sometimes yields irreversible damage! The majority of our state and its cities have gone down this road and they have never regained their original strength. There are other solutions worth exploring.
Christine Gregg

#17 Priceless Resource

2010-12-11 17:36

This archive is priceless and has served thousands of people from all over the US and Canada, and indeed even some from abroad. If the powers that be do not appreciate this facility and its staff for its historical and genealogical value, they should at least recognize its economic potential. Genealogy is one of the most popular hobbies in the world! This resource thus attracts many, many tourists and in so doing supports the local economy. In fact, many would probably willingly pay or pay more for current or expanded research services thus generating additional capital to support this position. This proposed cut is so short-sighted. I urge you in the strongest of terms to rethink eliminating funding for this archive position. Inch by inch bureaucracy is eliminating all that makes us human and adds richness to our lives in the name of economy. PLEASE explore other options.
Betty Garrand

#18 Family Connection to Montgomery County, NY

2010-12-11 17:38

My family (Van Alstine and Loucks) were early settlers in Tryon/Montgomery County and lived there for years. I visited the Montgomery County Archives two years ago to research for DAR documentation. The staff was wonderful and very helpful and the collection is extensive. What a shame if reductions are made in personnel or in operations when the benefits are to so many people. This resource is a Montgomery County genealogical treasure that attracts visitors to your county.

#20 Re: Support

2010-12-11 19:49

#10: Edward Knoblauch - Support 

What an excellent point! Thanks for underscoring the importance of maintaining our perspective and priorities.

Deborah Bickford

#21 Keep Historical Archives Assistant Position

2010-12-11 20:12

This is a position that helps not just the county, but helps nation-wide as people search for geneology records. It is vital that it is kept so that our history is not lost.

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2010-12-11 20:20

Deb Bickford

#23 Re: Plead the case with an email to the board

2010-12-11 20:22

#6: Sandy Allen - Plead the case with an email to the board 

This is the email I sent - If other people want to use a variation of it with their own personal information replacing mine, they are more than welcome.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am writing to strongly encourage you to keep the Historical Archives Assistant Position in place.  Every year, my sisters from Vermont and Maine visit your county to search for family history.  These are just two of the people you will lose income from if this position is no longer available.  The money you will lose from visitors will be far more than the money you will gain by cutting this position.

Again, I STRONGLY encourage the retention of this position.

Deborah Bickford
Sacramento, California

Deb Bickford

#24 Re:

2010-12-11 20:28

#13: Barbara Iaria -  

Did you send an email to the County Commish?  I've done the editing for you, so you can copy and paste what's below:

PLEASE!!! Do not do this. The History and Archives is such an important place for anyone that loves history and family. Earleen has ALWAYS been such a great source of knowledge and help that I don't know what I would do without her. Every year for the past 5 years I have spent numerous hours at the History and Archives in Montgomery County and others, looking for my heritage.  ( I travel from Vermont.) I have always been able to count on Earleen, she is such an asset to this position. She loves this position and it shows through in every thing and everyone she helps. I am also worried about all the history they have there.  Who would see that it is being taken care of? I already know that in some of these types of places where the employees don't care information has been LOST and this is unacceptable. Our history whether it is a family history or not, is too valuable to be lost. PLEASE RECONSIDER THIS ACTION !!!! AND KEEP EARLEEN!!
Love you sis!

This post has been removed by the author of this petition (Show details)

2010-12-11 20:37