Bring Emmaus Summer Parks Program Back

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Bring Emmaus Summer Parks Program Back.

2016-03-29 18:59

Please don't penalize the children for the actions of a few adults. This program is valuable and gives them a chance to meet other children in their community. Some of my fondest memories are of my childhood parks program. Let's get these kids away from their devices and outdoors for a few hours a day!!!!

2016-03-29 19:01

Do the right thing. Emmaus is one of the top towns to live in because of programs like this.

2016-03-29 20:00

I fell the children of the community need this program to help them foster social skills and friendships with other children from around the area. She never wants to miss out on the fun activities and talent show.

2016-03-29 21:25

Please sign the petition. It is extremely valuable to the children. Programs such as this develop team work, build relationships, and foster a sense of community with the kids. I grew up with summer programs and have the best memories of my summer days.

2016-03-29 21:43

Kids need summer programs! Make this happen. Do the right thing!

2016-04-01 00:12

Too many kids will b left home alone or with older siblings too young to supervise if there is no program like this. When I was a teen, I supervised a program like this and the kids attended for free.

#7 Re:

2016-04-01 00:15

#1: -  

What did the adults do?

2016-04-01 01:08

My children participated in this program last year and had a great time!! They were really looking forward to it again this year!!! If cost is an issue, I would even be willing to pay more per child.

2016-04-01 07:11

The program is needed.

2016-04-04 23:31

How do the other nearby communities continue to offer this program?  As a parent, I would be willing to pay more.  This program has been around for decades from what I understand.  If there are extreme behavioral problems, remove those children from the program.  Problem solved.  The Park's program helps kids appreciate our beautiful park and nature.  It helps out our working parents by offering a program that allows kids to strengthen peer relationships, have fun, excercise, learn to swim, and, teach all the social skills that go along with learning to get along with others.  Kids don't get much recess at school anymore and overall, don't play outside like years ago.  Perhaps, limit the age group if needed.  Another idea would be to offer a survey to the parents or kids about more structured programs.  My child attended the last few years and I have not head about anyone either asking, or, complaining about structured programs.  I believe children who attend the program are more willing to give back and respect their community when they are older.  Do the right thing Emmaus!

lola

2016-04-05 00:08

Just a thought....there are many epsd employees that already have all their clearances that might enjoy working in this program. Their summers are off from work and this could supplement their income and alleviate some of the cost burden on the borough.  Maybe someone could approach. The district and see if there is any interest 

2016-04-05 18:01

Another idea...many parents volunteer for EPSD and already have their clearances.  They may also be looking to supplement their income in the summer and be happy to volunteer if their children are in the program.  Parents who volunteer at the school know many of the children who probably attend the program already and certainly have more knowledge on how to handle conflicts, behaviors, etc than many of the teen counselors.  This may help the program reduce costs.  EPSD usually has an excercise program in the summer...could the school district and borough work together to somehow incorporate the two and work together?

2016-04-05 21:21

My son has been going to this camp for the past 3 years and was upset when he found out that they where not having it this year. It is a nice camp and was convent being right next to the pool
Emmaus resident

2016-04-14 00:31

Per Mr. Pepe, the purpose of the program was to provide a structured park program but "it ha turned into a taxpayer supplemented babysitting program."  Well whose running this program anyway?  It's not the parents or the children so it must be the borough.  Mr. Pepe goes on to complain that parents don't pick up their children in a timely manner.  Perhaps when parents sign their kids up, there should be a statement indicating the child will not be able to participate if this happens repeatedly.  The police should be notified if there is a child that was not picked up alleviating the liability on borough staff.  The police may be able to drive by the child's home and/or take custody of the child.  Physical altercations are a problem?  Ask those kids not to return.  There is too much liability.  High school kids not trained to handle angry parents and psychological issues?  Isn't there one experienced adult in charge?  If my memory serves me correct, I believe there is.  Perhaps the program could include the children somehow giving back to the community by volunteering in some way... Helping to beautify the park, planting, clean up, etc.  If parents don't like the idea of structure, then don't send your kids to this program!  Mr. Pepe talks a lot about costs but I haven't seen any real figures thrown out to us yet. 

2016-04-19 21:38

Because the summer parks program is a great opportunity for Emmaus kids to continue their school friendships during the summer outside in a supervised setting.