Pro lingua Latina in Jyväskylä

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Pro lingua Latina in Jyväskylä.

2016-04-14 07:12

I have studied latin both in high school and at the university. I agree with arguments in this petition about the influence of language in many different aspects of modern life.

2016-04-14 07:31

We as Westerners should preserve our cultural heritage in order to strenghten our cultural values developed through centuries of intellectual effort. This cultural heritage is closely connected with classical languages and ancient cultural history.

2016-04-14 08:39

Lingua litteraeque latinae sunt Europae propugnaculum, quo a barbaris, sive ex occidente sive ex oriente sole ingruunt, sive armis sunt sive nummis instructi, defendimur.

2016-04-14 09:01

Current attack on Humanities in Finland is an outrage. Latin is the necessary background for almost any branch of Humanities. Leaving Latin out of the curriculum is dumbing down students. Moreover it will very soon show in the 'international academic ranking' in the name of which such bureaucratic atrocities are done.

2016-04-14 12:47

I signed this petition as a Latinist, a Classicist, a Medievalist and a Humanist. There is no university with serious pretensions in the Humanities that doesn't offer Latin. The language and literature are thoroughly imbricated in western culture and indispensable for all research in the ancient and medieval worlds. Arguably for the early modern world too.

2016-04-14 12:57

At a time when the fundamental understanding of what it means to be a European is in flux it is dangerous and idiotic to eliminate a field of study that is at the core of a shared European experience of politics, literature, government, arts, culture, and civilization for 2,000 years. Latin unifies Western culture, and we cannot understand who we are without it.

2016-04-14 13:38

Latin is important......it's one of the mothers of our heritage
Robert J. Penella

2016-04-14 13:41

Abolishing Latin is a very short-sighted move. The University is an estate one of whose tasks is to preserve and foster cultural traditions. What could be more fundamental to traditional European culture than Latin? Latin and the other humanities should be fostered in a world that is becoming more and more crass, more and more dominated by technological geeks, and more and more disrespectful of the past. This will all end up being to the detriment of humanity.

2016-04-14 14:28

Latin must be taught anywhere.

2016-04-14 16:05

Lingua Latina nullo modo est amovenda ab universitatibus et scholis!

2016-04-14 17:47

Maximi momenti est L. L. non solum propter salutem studiorum universitatum sed etiam ut vita ipsarum vernacularum sarta tecta maneat. Globalizatio cultus civiis, artium, deorum, agrorum et coniunctio oeconomica totius orbis terrarum copias liberavit et bonas et malas, quarum nonnullae maiorem partem linguarum humanarum pessum dabunt. Sine traditione valida linguarum antiquarum serius ocius omnes valores quibus nos Europa donavit

2016-04-14 17:47

I defend Latin for cultural reasons; moreover in my capacity of professor fo Latina Language and Literature, I went to teach in Jyvaskyla and I am convinced that it would be a pity to renounce to Latin.

2016-04-14 19:19

incredible that in the country where the latin is an istitution can happens that!

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2016-04-14 22:08

2016-04-14 23:58

It is important that we maintain the link with the shared history of European civilisation that the study of Latin be maintained. It is particularly regrettable that this is under threat in Finland, the country whose `Nuntii Latini' news bulletins are a key resource for Latinists everywhere,

2016-04-15 07:13

It seems short sighted to cut Latin so as to benefit purportedly more "practical" subjects.

2016-04-15 10:28

Latin is not dead

2016-04-15 11:50

I fully agree with all the statements made before!

Universal

2016-04-15 20:40

Latin is so important because the vocabulary in different European languages - English included - is made up of Latin words or roots. Even scientific terms , not to speak of humanities, theology or law, are based on Latin.

2016-04-15 21:57

Supprimer le latin, c'est effacer notre mémoire et rendre illisible, en particulier dans les pays scandinaves, une partie fondamentale du savoir des siècles classiques. Ce serait d'autant plus injuste que le travail accompli dans ce domaine à Jyväskylä est reconnu mondialement et contribue largement au rayonnement de cette université.

2016-04-16 08:37

I am a language teacher ( retired ) being one of those who had Pro Exercitio in Latin. All my career , especially in English, Latin has been very useful in explaining vocabulary etc. Also in my Spanish studies. I find it uncivilized to " save " like this !!

2016-04-16 13:30

I had the opportunity to visit Jyväskylä University several years ago as I was a visiting professor in Finland (Tampere), and to meet and discuss several times with prof. Outi Merisalo, in Finland and in my university in Paris, where she was recently invited to give lectures as a visiting professor. I know that her teaching and research work is well known and appreciated, not only by her students but also by her peers throughout Europe. When living in Finland in 1993-97, I was really surprised as how much latin language and culture was an active and interesting field of teaching and research in finish universities, and it would really be a shame to put an end to it, especially in Jyäskylä, not only for the sake of latin language but also in relation to the history of romance languages and the full understanding of european languages and cultures .

2016-04-16 13:55

There is no doubt among educated persons who care Europe's traditions, that the study of Latin as a basic language of more than one and a half millennium is inevitable for a profound understanding of nearly any branch of cultural activities

2016-04-16 16:37

Our civilization is based upon the Latin language and its heritage. It's imperative therefore to keeping the classic studies in the University. And when it comes to Latin, It's worth mentioning the natural method adapted to this language by Hans Orberg, in his famous book Lingua Latina per se illustrata, the most efficient method of Latin teaching  I've ever seen.
Oportet nos curare ut plures discipuli recte Linguam Latinam colant atque discant.

2016-04-17 14:53

Spero multorum nuntiorum gratia fieri
posse ut institutio vivae latinitatis in
vestra studiorum universitate continuetur.