COS Department exam entrance allowance

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition COS Department exam entrance allowance.

2016-11-11 05:17

Even though I aggree with this petititon a student that has not been working at all during the semester should not be granted exam entrance. My degree should not have less value because of giving exam entrance to everyone. If this is the case exclude people from exam that do not deserve it
Concerned CS Student

2016-11-11 07:52

The COSI department has gone out of their way to accommodate students by making additional (Arguably easy) assignments and practicals available as well as giving us the opportunity to write our second semester tests (Thus an opportunity to make up for a failed first semester test). On top of that, other departments (Like Built Environment) cover work that is not extensively covered in online resources; That is not the case with COS modules.

If you've truly applied yourself throughout the semester, you should have at least 40%. If not, I feel the extra time spent on the content will help you gain proper understanding of it.

Good luck for the exams, everyone!

2016-11-11 07:57

It's been extremely difficult to do COS through correspondence... The lecturers lacked empathy even though they tried their best to provide online support it was futile
Another concerned cs student

#4 Re:

2016-11-11 08:04

#2: Concerned CS Student -  

While I do agree that they tried hard to save the semester, some of their solutions weren't ideal. For instance in some modules where they suggested that if you don't have a laptop to work on, find a friend that has one and work on their machine. Now we all know this is not a good solution as that will limit any individuals work time and no physical contact time was made for students and tutors, just online communication, which can be very limiting when it comes to such practical modules. I believe other faculties understood the difficulties that students went through that's why they made provision for this and mind you that some of these faculties use less campus resources compared to us.

#5 Re:

2016-11-11 09:58

#1: -  

Then said student will fail the exam.

#6 Re: Re:

2016-11-11 10:00

#5: - Re:  

If said student hasn't worked the obvious part is he/she will not progress.

2016-11-11 10:44

I'm signing this not for myself but for the people who require campus for thier studies,  people that don't have laptops or Internet and are only given limited time on campus to study and complete thier assignments, it is less than manageable for them and they deserve a chance to prove their knowledge.

#8 Re: Re:

2016-11-11 10:52

#4: Another concerned cs student - Re:  

If you're referring to 284 (Or any other module for that matter), the purple labs in the Informatorium had open access for any students registered for a COS module. Although access to campus was said to be regulated, it was easy to get in and go work in the purple labs.

My point is, no solutions would be ideal in such circumstances, but many students chose to "go on holiday" in this time rather than apply themselves and now they want to complain about not getting exam entrance (Which the majority would not have gotten even if there were classes).

#9 Re:

2016-11-11 10:57

EqualOpportunities

#10 Re:

2016-11-11 11:20

Obama

#11 Re: Re: Re:

2016-11-11 11:48

#8: - Re: Re:  

Firstly, campus was on total shut down for most of the time and when it was opened, access was regulated in such a manner that no one could have access to it unless they were writing a semester test. I tried going to campus on multiple occassions to work in the Infomatorium but was denied access by the security purely because of the fact that I was not writing a semester test and hence my name was not in the list. It is the same even till this point. Besides that, no student was notified on the fact that the Purple labs are open to work at so everyone was under the impression that no labs are available.

Students did not "go on holiday" but instead, they waited for educational material to be uploaded online so that students could try understand it without proper explainations. Students were mainly left to study from the slides ,which had minimum explainations on the concepts, and were tested with the same standard as if they had been lectured on it.

When it comes to COS284, as far as i recall, some of the online lectures were available for the students a couple of days before the semester tests. You cannot uphold the high standards(40% exam entrance mark) if the students are not given equal opportunities to work on it. And the online learning material for 284 was not uploaded on clickup( and still has not been), which means the students who do not have unlimited access to data could not view the lecturing videos that were on Youtube and so were at a disadvantage.

Practicals and assignments in the COS modules were not made easier(despite the fact that we had no tutors to help us), they were kept to the same difficulty level; the only way the faculty tried to compensate us was by giving us a slight extension.

The other faculties at Tuks understood this issue and gave entrance for all the students.By giving someone exam opportunity, it does not guraantee their module success but it compensates for the fact that the students were in a disadvanted situation this semester. If the Build Environment students from EBIT could get entrance, why can't we get fair treatment?

#12 Re:

2016-11-11 11:54

Whatwhat

#13 Re: Re: Re: Re:

2016-11-11 12:12

#11: Obama - Re: Re: Re:  

You are just lying now, the video lectures covered work that is only going to be in the exam. All the assembly type work in the semester test was covered in the physical classes, but I see you like to make excuses. I find it funny that when the lecturers try and help by giving video lectures you will still complain about them.

#14 Re: Re: Re:

2016-11-11 12:25

#8: - Re: Re:  

Where was it announced that the purple labs were open?? And most of the time they weren't.

ObamaSlayingOneByOne

#15 Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:

2016-11-11 12:31

#13: Whatwhat - Re: Re: Re: Re:  

Nothing that I have said there is a lie, if so, please back your statement. For instance for COS226, one of the chapters that will be in the exam was just introduced/video made available to us yesterday, a weekend before exams start. For it's semester test 2, one of the three chapters'(Counting 33% of the test) was only released a couple of day before it.

With COS284, for semester test 2, Chapter 4's(50% of the theory) videos were uploaded approximately a day before the test and it's assembler were uploaded 4 days before the test which could be considered fair.

And I cannot talk about 1st Year and 3rd Year COS.

If you actually went to the lectures, you would know that, not all the assembler were covered in class and so the videos were given to us. They have to help us in those circumstances as it a part of their job.

Please refrain from commenting, if you're here to just troll and not help the students who were in a disadvantaged situation. "If you ain't with me, you against me."

#16 Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:

2016-11-11 12:38

This post has been removed by the author of this petition (Show details)

2016-11-11 12:39

#18 Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:

2016-11-11 12:43

#15: ObamaSlayingOneByOne - Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:  

Also, you act like the matrial only exists once there are vidoe lectures . There is a mystical thing called a text book.

#19 Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:

2016-11-11 12:52

#18: - Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:  

I pay for my lectures and therefore, I expect it. If I really wanted to dig into the textbook and not wait for a proper explaination, I would've gone to UNISA.

163 People have signed it in 12hours, and you're the only one hating on it. How does it feel to be a sell out and not fight for fairness and carry on with the injustice?

Dude

2016-11-11 12:53

Wow the posts get deleted if you dont like what that say. keeping it classy

#21 Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:

2016-11-11 12:55

#22 Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:

2016-11-11 12:56

#15: ObamaSlayingOneByOne - Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:  

If you delete posts with actual evidence, you cant ask for evidence.

#23 Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:

2016-11-11 12:59

#22: - Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:  

What's stopping you from reposting the "evidence"?

#24 Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:

2016-11-11 13:02

#23: - Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:  

What what posted, saying that the ST2 covered none of the lecture matrial from the coding video, which is true. So why was  it deleted?

ObamaSlayingOneByOne

#25 Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:

2016-11-11 13:05

#24: - Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:  

Refer to the COS announcement dates for when material was posted and when the semester test was, if you don't believe what I am saying. Don't ask me why it was deleted.