Mashaba Bring back our WiFi

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Mashaba Bring back our WiFi.

2016-11-15 14:05

Citizens should be provided with the means thst give thrm total access and not be excluded. It's seems some people want business

2016-11-15 14:10

This is really impacting our learners whom are so dependent on the free WiFi. This is the one thing that cannot be taken from them.
Mayibuye iWifi yethu.

2016-11-15 14:16

To bring back our wi-fi

2016-11-15 14:19

Coz i think cllrs need d wifi as a perk

2016-11-15 14:20

we have so many students who where benefiting from the free wifi with the price of data being high it was easy for them to do thier school work with the joburg wifi .please bring back our wifi

2016-11-15 14:21

with the data price so high the students benefited alot from the free wifi at joburg ,please bring back our wifi

2016-11-15 14:43

Communication infrastructure and access to information is key for societal development.

2016-11-15 14:45

Because we wnt free wifi

2016-11-15 14:48

Simply because i believe is for a good cource.Communities and school children in particular were able to freely connect to Internet and do their research work without looking for 5rand and besides is exam time then why this.

2016-11-15 14:51

When ll it happen

2016-11-15 14:58

Technology is now part of our daily life and people in the townships must have access to wifi to able to access opportunities

2016-11-15 15:02

We want Wi-Fi back for those who can't have access to internet, they can't apply for jobs because everything this days is online, even fo study purposes

2016-11-15 15:23

Wi-fi a valuable to students especially in Soweto

2016-11-15 15:33

Because The D.A shouldn't be running Joburg in the first place

2016-11-15 15:50

Wifi switch off has denied the young poor black african child an opportunity to particularly be able to access internet to do school work research and related matters.

2016-11-15 15:53

I signed the petition because not every person can afford access to internet. The WI-FI access created by the previous (ANC) administration was very useful to poor citizens who needed (and still need) access to internet.

2016-11-15 16:12

Right to information is one of the cornerstone of our constitution and wifi is one such mechanism for facilitating universal access to not only this right but many other rights. Depriving access to wifi has negative consequences for our education, health and many other possibilities especially for youth and students.
SASABONA MANGANYE

#68 #MASHABABRINGBACKWIFI

2016-11-15 16:47

OPEN LETTER TO MAYOR MASHABA ELECTED BY DA-EFF ONE NIGHT STAND  

Dear Mayor Mashaba,   CC: DA-EFF and COJ Administration  

#MASHABABRINGBACKWIFI  

As the activists in the country are engaging on #DataMustFall given the exorbitant costs of data your administration deepens the crisis for a black and unemployed child of the Inner-City, Alexandra, Soweto, Orange Farm and other townships and black communities.

Given my professional area of focus, it really pains me that the first consideration in your cost cutting measure is limiting the black child from accessing the internet. Access to internet remains the major enabler to access to information. It is the internet that makes it easier for any government to promote access of information by its people. It is through internet that young people are able to access information that empowers them to fight the triple challenges of unemployment, poverty and inequality. It is through this internet Mr. Mayor that young people are able to further their studies with UNISA whilst they are busy in their casual employment to fund their studies and feed their families. Mr. Mayor, it is through this internet that a township learner whom the Provincial Education Department provided with a tablet is able to study after school using this tablet accessing internet provided by the caring government. It is through this internet Mr. Mayor that some of the young people from townships are able to do their research studies through this internet that you, Mr. Mayor are taking from them.

Our education system is transforming Mr. Mayor and the use of paperless class rooms require this infrastructure that has been rolled out for connectivity purposes.   Mr. Mayor don’t get me wrong but it is my believe that the Wi-Fi connectivity is very important to the working class and the poor. It represents a potential to change the trajectory of South Africa’s youth, building the leaders of tomorrow and encouraging many of us to become citizens of the world. At the same time, it will grow the economy and establish tourism as a key to unlocking opportunities for our people. Keeping this in mind, developmental local government is a constitutional requirement. Possible I need to mention this Mr. Mayor, you are not doing us a favour by providing access to internet but you doing what local government are required to do as their constitutional mandate. Stop your political squabbles and provide us with access to internet through Wi-Fi.

Therefore all demands made by the Joburg Social Movement and the youth of Johannesburg Metropolitan Municipality are fully supported and your office is requested to intervene in unlocking.

Yours Sincerely  

Sasabona Manganye

Joburg Community Activis

2016-11-15 16:53

U have no right bring back please

2016-11-15 17:01

A conected city will always help the poor when looking for jobs. I own a communication infrastructure development start up. .what should I do? Move? Conection in our city is essential to reach transformation and realise the NDR we should as a city of hope spreading the program to rural and poor places where big business gives less attention not kill the program

2016-11-15 17:37

It impacts the learners and young business entrepreneurs whom depend much on free WiFi. # bring back free WiFi...

2016-11-15 17:47

Because we were never consulted with regards to why the free wifi was stopped and so many young people are being disadvantaged cause the nolonger get accesses to information to better thier lives.

#73 Re:

2016-11-15 17:49

#5: -  

Agreee

2016-11-15 17:56

We need WiFi back

2016-11-15 18:11

To compel current City of Joburg continue with injustices that benefit the broader Johannesburg