Support Filipino Sign Language Act of 2012 - House Bill 6079

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Support Filipino Sign Language Act of 2012 - House Bill 6079.

Angel

#101 Re: Re: Re:

2012-11-02 08:34

#72: - Re: Re:

"Special Education Division that they have been using SEE as medium of instructions for years in all pubic schools as a result they have been producing graduates with poor English reading and writting skills shouldn't be the blame put to SEE not FSL?.."

POOR ENGLISH READING and WRITING SKILLS?? Where did you get this information from result??? You should prove it to us! How can they understand the words than visualizing the pictures? I know you never view as perspective of Deaf students that's why there are some problems with understanding and reading. I know you believe SEE what you can use, fine. How can you solve their problems from understanding the words? You need to give more visualizing the words.

I would give my tips to you what I can suggest you.

Four Kinds of stratergies how to process understanding.

Step 1: "Visualizing" the pictures

Step 2: "Listening or speaking" (using visual sign languages and of course, can be oralism  language) possible you can patiently communicate with Deaf students if they can understand and using Filipino Sign Language

Step 3: "Reading" (using storytelling include performances like action [e.g. dance, singing, drama, etc])

Step 4: "writing" (they can develop their skills how to write since they can understand from Step one to three. :D)

MAE

2012-11-02 09:04

I love FSL! I support FSL House Bill 6079 OR "FSL" Act of 2012
Honey

2012-11-02 09:06

We support FSL House Bill 6079 OR "FSL" Act of 2012
Toto

2012-11-02 09:08

Deaf power and support FSL!
Bhic2

2012-11-02 09:11

I support FSL! My two daughters and son are deaf..
Awee

2012-11-02 09:14

I support FSL! My kids are deaf.

2012-11-02 10:02

In solidarity with our Deaf brothers and sisters!
mil

2012-11-02 11:03

WE SUPPORT FILIPINO SIGN LANGUAGE-HOUSE BILL 6079 WE LOVE IS FSL :D

2012-11-02 15:49

we love FSL!!! PLS support FSL.. PROUD OF PHILIPPINES... i am really resident Philippines

2012-11-03 03:03

hi po
math

2012-11-03 03:03

4+2=6
math

#112 math

2012-11-03 03:04

i know easy all yeah it
Deafy

#113 everyone

2012-11-03 10:35

I support not FSL only but ALL!!! House Bill FSL "force" --"mandate" use FSL ONLY in all tv, school, cmmunicate, etc... this is not give respect to others who not use fsl. how about deaf use oral? we "force"them to use FSL also? House Bill FSL must change and say "use all ways to help deaf" not only FSL but ALL (asl, see, oral,etc)!!! which deaf comfortable..if not comfortable in FSL then use other. do not "force". everyone cool down. hearing people some love english, some love tagalog...up to them. Let us open to all. I want to learn all. So not limit only FSL please. so when go other countery can communicate with other people hearing. I want learn english also so communicate with hearing not only deaf.
Go4FSL

#114 FSL is the mother tongue of Deaf Filipinos!

2012-11-03 12:11

#16: FSLadvocate - Re:

I agree with you, FSLadvocate! Open your mind, Anika :)

bel

2012-11-03 16:15

i like to support Filipino sign language Act of 2012-House bill 6079//Mabuhay!!!
BornDeaf

#116 Re: everyone

2012-11-04 08:52

#113: Deafy - everyone 

Yes you are correct! I study oral elementary then high school SEE then college FSL. All help me talk, understand and write. Please give deaf people all not only FSL. I support sign language act not limit FSL. Please. Hope you understand and respect.
Giselle

#117 Re:

2012-11-04 18:10

#73: mother of a deaf -

I understand where you are coming from.

My advocacy and work involves bridging our Deaf graduates to companies for on-the-job training and employment.

The school uses FSL in teaching.  We found out concepts are more understood clearly. We do have a number of English subjects because we believe that communicating with the Hearing who are not signers will involve reading and writing in English.  It is very important that the Deaf understands written instructions and able to communicate back to his supervisor.

We believe that a deaf person gets hired because of his Attitude, Skills and Knowledge plus his skill in communication. Currently we have more than half of our graduates employed in different industries.  We have graduates in the graphics, food, service, hospitality, education and even call center (BPO) industries.  The most that require English as a requirement is the BPO industry.

One BPO who hired 3 of our graduates assigned them to send and receive emails from customers and their technical team.  For the whole 2 months orientation as part of the company requirement we provided FSL interpreters.  Aside from the English requirement, the job was also very technical- being able to follow the internal systems of the company and making decisions. Six months into the contract, they sent us an email to ask if we can assist them in improving their writing skills.  We have to meet with the group, do tutorials, find solutions using templates and do technical English advising. They have been with the company for 2 years now.  One of the Deaf workers is multi-awarded in the company for being an excellent worker.  I view their success  on their attitude of openess and willing to learn.

The service industry (hotels, restaurants) prefers Deaf people who   displays professional attitude, have a happy disposition and able to interact with co-workers well.   And our graduates work in different areas of the hotel including the kitchen, front desk, human resources department, business centers and restaurants.They do not evaluate the Deaf for their English proficiency.   I attribute a lot of development of having a “winning” personality, discipline, learning capacity, empathy and socialization skills to high self esteem and confidence. These are built if they are able to express themselves, work out personal issues and work for personal and team achievements. These are not taught. But the school provides venues to be able to develop such.  Our students engage in sports, the arts, volunteer, etc.

In the graphics/design industry, skill is very important as well as knowing rules for  written English and sometimes Filipino and understanding instructions in both languages.  FSL does come to play in design subjects up until the thesis subjects. Design concepts, computer processes are explained using FSL. Technical words are spelled out, then defined; a few meetings on, the class comes out with a sign (if the concept has no sign yet) for the technical word.  We do this to make sure that in the interviews (or job instructions) they understand both the technical word and the concept of the word.

Yes, Ma'am, FSL can feed your child. Expressing themselves, understanding concepts is very well done in FSL.  Learning to read and write in English is equally important. Learning FSL does not equate not learning English.

2012-11-05 10:18

Filipino sign language will be better appreciated by the Filipino deaf. The language will be enriched to the advantage of the Filipinos

#119 Re: Re:

2012-11-05 15:39

#117: Giselle - Re:

Hi miss Giselle: I just want to ask... How do you teach the English Subject- particularly communicating with appropriate grammar ? Do you use FSL? Thanks

giselle

#120 Re: Re: Re:

2012-11-06 00:52

#119: - Re: Re:

I taught Business Com (and motly multimedia thesis subjects). To level off,   I had to first discuss how Communication may differ with different kinds of people SL - Oral, Oral-Oral, SL-SL, different regional dialects (Oral and SL).  This (hopefully) gave my students an idea  about the differences in   structure  of languages vis-a-vis rules in communicating. I am also not very good in FSL. But in class my students tell me if there is a sentence that I signed and they did not understand.   So we help each other.

Of course I had to go back to basic English grammar. When I explain simple  syntax (S-V, S-V-O), I use  FSL.  I write down the sentences on the board so they see it and I write it in English.  When I explain rules I use FSl, when I interact with students in an activity, I use FSl. I do not check the English grammar when they do reporting in FSL; I do check it when they have something written on thier visual aids. Each week they were required to write letters.  I painstakingly edit them and they re-write it based on my comments.

Looking back, I would want to also see how effective my teaching was.  But I certaintly saw growth in  diligence, the love for reading and sensitivity to the written word among my students.

One of the rules is that when they do a presentation (specially) for Multimedia class, they have to make sure of the correct spelling and follow the rules of the written language.

Currently, I do more admin work (job placements, partnership building). But I still get  a lot of interaction with students (specially graduating ones). Checking on their resumes, job application form is one way I help teach English. In interview seminars, mock interviews we use FSL. But in answering forms,  they have to go back to the rules of the written word.

I hope this helped.

Here is my email: giselle.montero@benilde.edu.ph

#121 Re: Re: Re: Re:

2012-11-06 13:54

#120: giselle - Re: Re: Re:

Few questions madam....

Do you have educ units?

When you were in college... Were English subjects taught using your dialect?

Where there stategies implemented by the teacher to facilitate good and comprehensive understanding of the structure? Did the teacher model and gave examples for every rules?

Maam nakapagturo na po ba kayo ng Deaf sa Elem or Pre school? Salamat po

#122 Re: Re: Re: Re:

2012-11-06 14:27

#120: giselle - Re: Re: Re:

May I just ask... How many Deaf students can make it to the Entrance exam of CSB? out of how? You can use the recent roll of passers... Thanks....

2012-11-07 04:33

I love Filipino Sign Language. I support FSL. We are proud to be Filipino.
Fred

2012-11-08 20:47

Support to filipino sign lsnguage.
Jane

#125 Filipino Sign Language

2012-11-08 23:56

I am supporting this language as the natural language.