FairfaxVarsityBoy'sCoachNeedsToGo/FiringButton

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition FairfaxVarsityBoy'sCoachNeedsToGo/FiringButton.

2014-02-06 15:36

This is a joke! Coach button is a great coach. Kids these days need to grow up and stop being such mommys boys. I played 3 years for button, yea he yelled and got pissed but didn't make me cry made me work harder. Keep up the good work coach button!

#2 #1

2014-02-06 17:13

I did not play varsity boys basketball but Glenn Button is a great coach. All of my friends played for him and yes he may
Be a hard ass, but he motivates and encourages the players to be the best they can be. This is an absolute joke. BFA Fairfax would be making a huge mistake letting him go.

Anonymous

2014-02-06 17:23

#1: -

These boys aren't mommy's boys and do play hard...but you bully and verbally harass a kid and call the "pusses" and "retards" and stupied/idiots" enough is enough...I could tell you 100 players over the last 10 years that refused to, and didn't play their junior and senior year because of him. verbally demeaning and humiliating players it not acceptable...and that he was he is doing!!!!

Anonymous

#4 Re: #1

2014-02-06 17:25

#2: - #1

Yah that why he's had how many state champs over the last 20 years?!? Calling a player a "stupied retard" is great coaching?!?

2014-02-06 17:33

If you look at BFA's Mission Statement:

Mission Statement:
Bellows Free Academy, Fairfax is committed to ensuring all students become
informed, literate, critical thinkers who demonstrate responsible social and civic behaviors.

I have both seen AND heard the rantings of a coach desperate to win a championship. I am quite certain his actions and words DO NOT demonstrate responsible and civic behaviors.

Athletics are an opportunity to look at each of our actions and behaviors and see how we can be better people.

Unfortunately, as long as Glen Button is the coach, those actions and behaviors will not lead to better people OR basketball players coming out of BFA Fairfax.

2014-02-06 18:38

I played for Button Senior year and he is arrogant and disrespectful. His record isn't even all that great.
karmagetseveryone

2014-02-06 19:47

He isn't the only 1 that should go...take a hard look at the cheer coach.

2014-02-06 21:39

He made my sons senior year very difficult and didn't evencare
He not once followed up with him to see how he was doing. Thank goodness for Fred Griffin, a very caring coach.
GoButon

#9 Lol

2014-02-06 22:54

Wow a lot of crying in here!! Being I joined the military after high school I find this comical!!

#10 Definitely hurting the program

2014-02-06 23:28

I have watched coach Buton coach over the past 10 years. I happen to know quite a bit about the game of basketball and have coached to a couple of state championships myself. I don't know what he says to his players, but I do know that many over the past have hated him. A coach shouldn't be hated that tells me something is wrong. I never swore or yelled or put down players, it is absolutely unnecessary. I have seen him blow many games because of his coaching or lack there of. I also talk to many officials and other D3 and D2 coaches. He is not liked in that group of people either. Some ask me year after year when are they going to get rid of Glen so they can win a championship. If you've coached for 20 years and it hasn't happened yet, somethings wrong, because I have seen the quality of male athletes that have come through that program, it's been loaded. Coaches like playing against him because they know they have a good chance of winning. One coach even said to me" what was he thinking? what an idiot". It's time for him to move on. The boys team has a good shot at a championship this year and especially next. I hate to see all that talent go to waste, kids seeing their dreams disappear because of an incompetent coach. I think he is just in it for himself now, and consequently is exhibiting totally unacceptable behavior.

2014-02-06 23:30

But they keep winning. For a group of kids that don't want to play they sure are fun to watch! Coach Button is one of the best there is. Its a damn shame to start something like this in the midst of possibly a championship season. Not afraid to put my name here either. Scott L. Allen

2014-02-06 23:33

The only reason they are winning is because they have all played together since about 5th grade, Glens not actually doing a whole lot of coaching the kids know what to do!

#13 Re:

2014-02-07 03:22

#3: -

Really, 100? I'm sure it's more like two. One is probably your son who just wasn't good enough anyway. Coach Button puts out a strong squad every season who are annual contenders in the state tournament. Like them or not his methods work. A lot more people defending him than bashing him. Find a new cause!

#14 Re:

2014-02-07 14:52

#12: Guest -  

this might be the most ignorant statement I've ever seen

2014-02-07 16:54

Trust me when I tell you, if the athletic director wanted to be the boys basketball coach then Glen would have been gone halfway through last season. You can't expect ethical leadership from a rudderless ship.

2014-02-07 18:23

I never played for Coach Button, but I did coach for his Hoop Camp, and to be completely honest, the man is not all that bad. He clearly has a passion for the game, and has worked towards building up the team through the ages. I played basketball at BFA Fairfax my whole high school career, and although I did hear of players quitting because of the man, I also saw a lot of young men making the damn best of their high school sports career. I, however, was yelled and screamed at on my team (not varsity boys) and I dealt with it until graduation. I'm not saying that the way people say he's acting is okay, but I am saying this; you do not know what you have, until it's gone. Firing Button may feel okay for a week, or a month, but what happens when you hire a new coach and he's exactly the same, if not worse? Just think it all through. It's not every day you have this type of situation.

2014-02-07 18:34

I think Fairfax needs to stop firing every goddamn coach that steps on someone's toes. It clearly hasn't done much for any of the freaking programs. You can try and replace whoever you want, but it WILL eventually come back to bite you. Keep that in mind.

#18 Re: Definitely hurting the program

2014-02-07 20:08

#10: Guest - Definitely hurting the program

this coach that called button an idiot needs to go also as he may be doing the same

2014-02-07 22:54

trust me there are many state championship banners on the wall from this coach and he doesn't yell swear or belittle his players and they will do anything for him, I've never seen kids work so hard. Coach Button's son is on the bench great role model!

2014-02-08 03:07

Well the scoop is that is wasn't even the players that reported him, it was another coach that over heard him talking to his players during a game. Boy,tonight sure was different watching him coach, nothing but positive, hands behind his back,and saying good job boys and guess what it was the best game I've seen them play. We beat Winooski, we lost to them at Winooski. Players respond better when they are not called retards and stupid idiots. Thanks Glen! He will remain under watchful eyes!

2014-02-08 15:18

So it looks like this very weak attempt to get rid of a very good VARSITY coach is done. Maybe instead of trying to put a black eye on a championship team you should try getting to know the coach a little better, talk to him and work with him. In the end it will make a much better ending for EVERYONE involved. Good luck the rest of the way BFA! Everyone has worked very hard and still is working hard to get what YOU, the kids deserve, A DIV. 3 STATE TITLE! Scott L. Allen

2014-02-08 15:28

If you are going to sign a petition or make a comment in a forum like this. At least have the guts to man up and SIGN YOUR NAME TO IT !!!!
STEVE
Horseface mullet

#23 To Mr Ed

2014-02-08 17:47

It's pretty easy to hide behind a computer screen in an attempt to belittle and remove someone from a team. A genuine individual discusses an issue with the team directly with the coach. The same people who don't attend preseason meetings on expectations are the ones complaining in the bleachers. Eventually you will have to get over the fact that you are not the all time leading scorer at BFA. Instead of living vicariously through the players, why not be a team player as opposed to a "me" player. BFA doesnt need a cancer, it needs a community. 14 signatures in three days and personal family members advocating against your inebriated decisions should make you reconsider your foolish actions.

2014-02-08 19:44

Pretty damn close

#25 Re:

2014-02-08 20:16

#21: -

Oh it's far from over, it just got started