Save M&S Woolwich

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save M&S Woolwich.

2014-06-06 16:43

We have been shopping in marks and Spencer's for over 40years and find it very upsetting that it is to be closed. The staff are always very helpful and will be greatly missed. I ask you to rethink your decision PLEASE. It will e a great loss to woolwich, a town which is suffering already.

2014-06-07 07:13

Save this store! I'm in Woolwich all the time and use it a lot Abd know loads of others who do too

2014-06-07 08:21

Born and brought up in Woolwich in my early years was 1 of the many Woolwich stores my mum constantly took me into. M&S should be a part of regenerating Woolwich with a mix of old and new! Don't forget your history Woolwich! !

2014-06-07 08:35

Save our High street shops. Business should be profitable both now and in the future. A long term view of the trade especially in view of the massive regeneration of Woolwich should make the decision makers at M & S change their minds.

2014-06-07 09:26

Save our high street shops as out of town shopping destroys communities.

2014-06-07 11:23

Woolwich shopping centre is already on it's knee's if we lose mark's and spencer that will be the end of Woowich as a shopping centre. All that is left is charity shops betting shops and shops full of tat.

2014-06-07 17:45

2014-06-07 22:09

It will be a tragedy for Woolwich and the regeneration of this deprived area if a shop like m&s pulls out! I lived in Paris when they pulled the stores on Bvld Haussman and now the management rue the day and are trying to re-implant themselves in Paris 15 years later. DON'T DO IT!

2014-06-07 23:09

Why is it all the decent shops in Woolwich have already or are closing, and toot shops and bookies are opening in abundance, I understood that the powers that be are working to make Woolwich a better place, they are going the wrong way about it, the heart is being ripped out of Woolwich

2014-06-07 23:43

SIGN IT

2014-06-08 09:58

Marks and Spencer's is the only decent shop within a sea of
pounds hops and betting shops! Woolwich needs YOU

2014-06-08 11:00

Confirmed

2014-06-09 13:31

being an outlet store is very important there are not many about,and of course the food,Woolwich is easy to get to and I feel is a communitiy that is growing with the new crossrail & property being built.Please think again M&s.

2014-06-09 14:08

Save WOOLWICH!!!!!!!!

2014-06-09 15:27

M&S is a valued asset to Woolwich. It definitely needs a department store. This 'poor/wealthy' town needs a prestigious store to accommodate the spending habits of its inhabitants. Being an Outlet store also adds to the need for this store to remain in Woolwich.
gabby

#41 M and S Woolwich

2014-06-10 12:19

I would use this a bit more if it was done up. It isn't and I feel sorry for the staff who have gone from working in an exclusive M and S store to one that's reduced since 2007 from a main store to an outlet store.

Why can't M and S turn this store over to a main and outlet or just simply food and café. It makes no sense to close it down altogether. Without M and S no point going in to Woolwich.

I also disagree with Mark38. You keep saying M and S are closing 15 stores because they are not viable. The stores earmarked for closure are not viable because M and S haven't spent the money doing them up to keep them going. M and S are in trouble in general and I do think Greenwich Council should have tied a commitment to keep the M and S store in Woolwich with the new large flagship store in Charlton.

I do worry for Woolwich town centre. There has been no thought for those with disabilities, the elderly and those without cars to access the new store in Charlton. Shame on M and S for closing down local stores. With regeneration as with Gravesend, it really doesn't make sense.

I think this is more about M and S saving money because they are in trouble rather than closing down a poorly performing store as in the case of Woolwich or Gravesend as Woolwich is well used.
Gabby

#42 Re: Save M&S Woolwich

2014-06-10 12:24

#21: mark38 - Save M&S Woolwich

This is an uncalled for comment on a petition that is  about saving a store. You sound like someone who works for M and S and seem to be justifying the closure.  M and S should look at medium term trends not short term one's.

The Woolwich store is always busy because of the outlet part, but it would be busier if the store was brought in to the 21st century. Obviously that costs money, but I think like with South Shields, Chatham, Folkestone, Margate, and soon to be Gravesend, Redcar, and Lewisham with part closure, this smacks of saving money because M and S are concerned with short term profit.  If Marc Bolland reads this, it would have made a good M and S simply food. Shame on Marks and Spencer.

2014-06-10 18:52

Do join the call to keep M&S in Woolwich, with many new residents and Crossrail coming, we want Marks to continue as an anchor for the renaissance of Woolwich.
Lynne the lip

2014-06-15 11:11

Some of the M&S staff at the Woolwich store have been there for many years. One for 25 years, another 30 years and one woman has worked there for 50. It was her first job at 15 years of age and she is still there. It would be a tragedy for all the staff there. Yes, they may be offered other jobs but why close it when the store is so popular. It's a blessing for many working class people in Woolwich as the clothes and other items are much much cheaper than mainstream M&S, These are days when people are having to watch every penny so do not close the store! Lynne Chamberlain

2014-06-16 11:59

I have been shopping at the Woolwich M & S for 43 years and am so upset to hear of it's proposed closure.
It has played a massive part in the history of the high street and has always been not only a great shop but a part of the community.The staff are fantastic and it will be a great shame to see it go - Although there are other branches in and around London this particular branch had retained the old fashion values of a Community shop that is often lacking in the bigger more in personal stores.If this store shuts M and S would have lost a jewel in its crown.

2014-06-17 20:52

Keep m&s outlet in Woolwich. It meets the need of all local people.

2014-06-19 05:33

I'm gutted I get loads of lovely kids clothes from here it's another example of high street chains pulling out of poorer areas, Woolwich has lost so many good shops, this is terrible for the area and I'm disgusted by M&S

2014-06-21 18:29

Please do not close this store! M&S in woolwich has a very long history. It would be a shame to ignore that. In addition, it is the only decent shop on the high street with quality merchandise. The area is getting more housing and transport development each year. This area needs a M&S!

2014-06-22 11:44

M&S celebrating its 100 years in Woolwich this year and the result is closure - not good, we need to have decent stores like this in Woolwich.

2014-06-26 14:59

The solution is a refit, the restoration of the main entrance and a return to the non-Outlet brand. Thousands of young professional residents are moving to Woolwich every year and want quality food to purchase in the local area!