I Would Like Gila County to Cut Cell Phone Expenses Now.

Susan K

/ #29 Conversations with Shirley Dawson

2011-03-05 11:42

From Shirley D. to Joe but sent to me:

I will not be responding to Miss K until I am back. In the meantime, Joe, would you please waste your time and pull up my expenditures for DC

My response:

According to Arizona Revised Statute the information requested should already be documented and available for public access at any time during business hours. Having these records available is a condition of the position for which you were elected, as well as the law. It's troubling that a public official would deem them "A waste of time."

From Shirley D:

Susan,
The records are available; however, it takes valuable staff time to research and answer specific questions.
Gila County is one of the counties in AZ, which is recognized for its Transparency. Our budget is posted for review and comments.

My response:

I looked at the county budget, I could not find any information about trip spending, nor could I find the $223,000. a year cell phone expenditure listed, or the cost to the taxpayer to product and maintain records for public view. County employees are tired of the waste, tired of seeing new people hired, new positions created after the hiring freeze, money spent on upgrading facilities while they haven’t had a cost of living raise in 3 years, they are tired of their taxes going up. This is a “silent majority” that is not likely to be silent for long.

At appears Shirley D. attempted to forward my previous response and the following statement to county manager Don McDaniel’s but instead sent it to us:

Don,
We need a PR person handling this JUNK!