I Would Like Gila County to Cut Cell Phone Expenses Now.

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition I Would Like Gila County to Cut Cell Phone Expenses Now..

karen donaldson

#1 county cell phones

2011-02-16 21:02

Cell phones are a valuable tool and I'm sure some of the county's employees should have county provided phones.
Those who are on call and involved in emergency or medical services or those who travel for the county as pert of their regular responsibilities.
Otherwise a 'pool' of phones should be available for employees who only occasionally need them.
Donna Jones

#2 cell phones

2011-02-17 14:54

What did they do before cell phones? Pagers and car radios were used. The money being spent on cell phones could be better spent on the schools, mental health and low income programs. Who checks the usage, how many personal calls are made on these phones?
Susan K

#3 Re: cell phones

2011-02-17 16:02

#2: Donna Jones - cell phones 

There are unlimitted personal calls at no additionall expence. There is a law that protects gov agencies, group phone service for gov is unlimited calling. If you look at the list of County employees who have cell phones, you would think there  would be a law that protect the citizen from the government from their unlimited taxing plan. Do you think we have nutritional service emergencies? Go to our website and see the list of emplyees who have cell phones. gila1019.com in the news section. I think as a community, on this subject, we should be done demanding answers and start demanding change.  

#4 Quit Wasting Funds!!!

2011-02-17 18:14

Cell phones, vehicles, lap tops and God only knows what else it's time it stops! That money it to help the county not make life easy for the county employees!
judy smrdel

#5 cell phones

2011-02-17 22:15

we are public employees, not private industry where perks like cell phones & use of "company" cars are used to lure top quality employees. I would like to see the budget brought back to where we live within our means - cells phones are totally unncecessary and I would love to hear how providing so many has improved customer service. Actually, it has decreased customer services since the money used to pay over $200,000 per year on phones could have been better spent on school and health budgets. It is also the equivilant of a $100 per month raise, while raises have been (in theory, any way) frozen. I haven't been given even a cost of living increase while the price of food, gas, utilities & yes, cell phonesm, has steadily increased. It's time that the 'tighten your belt" mentality applies to more than just us lowly workers.
judy smrdel

#6 cell phones

2011-02-17 22:20

most of the county phones issued are used more for personal calls than for county business. I can see departments heads having one, and one per department for those going out of town. When it's almost 50%, that's pretty darned high for a government agency that is supposed to be CUTTING costs, not increasing them.
Why do all county employees who go out of town each take a separate car, rent a separate room (and of course, each have their own cell phone)? What's wrong with 4 or more to a car, and 2 to a room? That would make a better argument for "cutting costs". We can't keep operating on raising taxes, freezing wages and tightening our belts. Our supervisors and department heads need to help out here and quit pinching pennies with one hand while throwing dollars out the window with the other.
And what is an "unofficial" policy, anyway?
El Mariachi de Globe

#7 Cell Phones

2011-02-18 02:14

Gila County has been given the power to be an "Untouchable Sacred Cow" and does not care about the taxpayer. In my opinion, Gila County can sell the idea to taxpayers that Gila County needs to be updated with technology to keep up with the latest trends, however, Gila County Leadership should learn about holding their own accountable. Teach their own employees about victims rights and other basic Law Enforcement responsibilities about their jobs before being rewarded with cell phones and other perks. Hold their employees accountable for jeopardizing multiple criminal investigations. With accountability, respect for the rights of victims and improved customer service will follow. Then perhaps the taxpayer will be supportive in paying for these updated trends in Law Enforcement.

#8 Cell Phones

2011-02-18 07:29

What happended did you forget all of the Gila County Probation employee's that are issued Cell phones? I find it hard to believe a probation officer would need the ability to be called at a moments notice. Perhaps one phone could be used and assigned to the on call probation officer.

#9 Re: Cell Phones

2011-02-18 16:03

We sent a records request to the probation department. We should get that today. It appears many in administravtive positions in Gila County only work 4 to 6 hours a day, many 4 days a week, it takes a little longer to get info. That must be the new definition of "Superior Service"#8: - Cell Phones 

Leota Hodson

#10 Gila County cell ppones

2011-02-19 00:51

Gila County is spending way too much tax payers money so thier employees don't have to pay out of thier own pockets. I am upset at all of the folish spending
randall inbody

#11 cell phones/county employees

2011-02-21 06:49

CUT SPENDING--Quit Raising My Taxes- in the last 8 years my property taxes have gone up 153%. that is doubled and half again!!! I can assure you that my wages have not gone up that much.

#12 Cell phones

2011-02-22 01:35

I have seen a solution that has been very effective in lowering costs to the tax payers. The Departments issues only limited cell phones. The remainder of the employees that may need to be contacted via cellular phone gets reimbursed for all work related calls that are charged to that employees personal phone. I myself refused a work phone and all business calls are conducted on my own phone with no charge to anyone else.
randy inbody

#13 gila county cell phones/why not 2 way radios??

2011-02-22 03:57

as a bus driver for globe unified school district- we have 2 way radios in the bus--they work fine.
when i want cell phone service--i have to provide my own, at my expense. no freebies here.
Rita Sanchez

2011-02-22 17:14

I feel our "whole town" is in a economic hardship and we need to cut back on expenses!

#15 Re: Re: Cell Phones

2011-02-23 02:34

#9: Guest - Re: Cell Phones 

What no response from the Probation Dept yet? 

DIANE HANSON

#16 cell phone expenses/county employees

2011-02-23 22:01

The county is always complaining about expenses. Most county employees have received no raises in the past few years (except for the highest paid employees), yet can provide un-necessary items like cell phones (when how many employees already have personal cell phones?). Enough of this redundant bull crap.
Kimberly R

#17 Cell Phones

2011-02-24 23:00

I understand the need for communication. However I also feel there needs to be more of a watchful eye on the use of the phones. Better question is why so many county cell phones a Blackberry or expensive top of the line phone?
Paying citizen

#18 Cell Phones

2011-02-25 09:16

They should be used only for those that are on call for Emergency call outs, not just so they can say they have one !!

Please do not post my name, I am an employee !

#19 Re: cell phones

2011-02-25 09:20

#6: judy smrdel - cell phones 

You are right on sister !

Who Cares

#20 Re: cell phone expenses/county employees

2011-02-26 02:44

#16: DIANE HANSON - cell phone expenses/county employees 

This whole discussion is bull crap why you think theres only 33 people who even actually care...

Theres a whole lot of other CONCERNS that we should be worrying about in our community besides who has a Cellphone and who doesn't.  ITS THE 21ST CENTURY FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

#21 Re: Re: cell phone expenses/county employees

2011-02-26 19:40

#20: Who Cares - Re: cell phone expenses/county employees 

Response, "who cares, pass me the remote, what is on cable tv attitude" is why taxpayers are in position today of paying higher state and local taxes. Everyone else has been afraid to ask a simple question of where are our tax dollars going?

#22 Re: Re: cell phone expenses/county employees

2011-02-26 23:30

#20: Who Cares - Re: cell phone expenses/county employees 

#20: Who Cares - Re: cell phone expenses/county employee

Spoken like a person who benefits from a self indulgent government

$223,000. a year. $19,000. a month.

How many of those "OTHER CONCERNES that we should be worrying about" would benefit from a portion of that money? It s not about "who has cell phone and who doesn't, it's about who's paying for it?

You say "ITS THE 21ST CENTURY FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!"

Yes it is, and incase you haven’t been paying attention, our country is not only broke, but in debt up to our grandchildren's grandchildren’s great-grandchildren’s ears. Everyone knows the current condition of our country is a direct result of an out of control, self-indulgent government.

It is surprising to me that you think that $223,000 a year is not something to be concerned about, that it's not part of the bigger problem, a problem that is destroying our country. 

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, after all you think just because only 33 people have signed the petition, that there are only 33 people who are outraged. In a community dominated by bureaucracy its no wonder people are hesitant to take a stand. Hats of to those brave enough to speak out, to say enough is enough, people who are willing to stand up for what’s right rather than stand by what’s not. Above all though shall not be a bystander.

33 people have signed, there's one of you.

Darryl Dalley

#23 cells phones

2011-03-01 08:46

For every employee to have a county cell phone is wrong. Division heads okay...but all the workers...not....Sheriffs office is ok...but everyone in the court house
Joshua Cisler

2011-03-01 20:46

Why does 1/2 employees have - cell phones.\

#25 Re: Re: Cell Phones

2011-03-03 07:33

#9: Guest - Re: Cell Phones 

I see now that the staff of Gila 101.9 is a little more bark than they are bite. Why have you not provided a true list of Cell phones provided by Gila County? Is it really that easy to simply ignore the media when it comes to a public records request? Since Gila 101.9 has stirred this cell phone pot "demanding" to know why the County is providing cell phones to over half of it's employee's why have you the staff of Gila 101.9 decided to let a sleeping dog lay when it comes to such a large department as probation? It's my understanding in talking with friends that the cell phone issue is pretty much dead now and  the hot topics now are take home vehicles, assigned computers and employee's salary.

My only hope as an ex-employee of Gila County is that you the media take the responsibility to report not only accurately, but please compare salary's of County employee's accross the board with other comparable Conties in the state. I think you will find that even though mistakes are made at all levels of goverment as you have pointed out regarding the cell phone issue. I feel you will also find that the average employee of Gila County is willing to give everything of themselves to serve the public and have always and for the foreseeable future will continue to serve for far less compensation than those serving other Counties throughout the State of Arizona. I guess that is why so many like myself are unable to maintain employment within Gila County (home) and are forced to commute and work for neighboring Counties or private industry.

I know Gila 101.9 has never tried to focus on the positive in the community and local Goverment, Gila County, City of Globe or Town of Miami but maybe it's time that you as the media in this community take on the role of promoting trust and teamwork in local Goverment and focus on the positive along with the negative. Who knows if everyone worked together maybe we could truley impove the community as a whole instead of putting out the normal useless propaganda your station does that only the bottom feeders thrive on.  Lets all set the bar a little higher for what is truley a great area we call home.