Saba_probation_officer

US-Resident on Saba

/ #10 No Legal Assistance with Languaage - Communist????? perhaps

2011-07-04 20:32

As far as I know any person held for any legal reason or up for trial no matter what the 'offical language' is entitled to someone to interpert what is being said by all parties. How else is a person to testify... and what if the witnesses do not speak the 'offical language'? Saba was not built on the Dutch language and its people were originally English speaking in orgin (Scotts and Irish)... I would also go as far to say that many of the things that have happened with misunderstandings with the changes in 10/10/10 were a direct result of things not being provided in English as well as Dutch. If a language is not your day to day language then it leads to all sorts of things being misunderstood. The probation officer needs to look at the number of fluent 'Dutch' speaking people on the BES islands and then he can make comments as how to resolve this issue. The solution for everyone who does not speak the language to 'get out' is not a solution.... it is blatent intolerance....and a blatent disregard to the very fabric of the 'English' speaking islands of Saba and Statia.... The Dutch were not here first and the Dutch have not provided proper translation of legal items so far with the changes made with the laws yet have they gone in and told everyone 'You Must Speak Dutch' to live here... is that one of the new changes of 10/10/10???? Somehow I don't think so. This new 'probation' officer needs to go to 'sensitivity training' and get off his 'HIGH HORSE' or maybe the Jackass he has ridden in on and try and understand the population and its origins before he makes such injurious statements.