Opposing development of flats in the Whiteladies Picture House

/ #52

2014-04-01 12:40

I am a local resident who has followed the progress of the situation with interest. I have no affiliation to Medinbrand, but am just someone keen to have a local cinema back.

Another day, and another challenging statement from WLPH, this time from Business Development Director, Eric Hargrave. It is such a shame that things have come to this - one would think that the proposed plans were totally at odds with WLPH's own ideas. The fact is, they aren't. They still tick a lot of WLPH's boxes. So such constant one-sided attacks seem unmeasured, and unnecessary. Could you not present your more realistic concerns more collaboratively, so that they can form an on-going part of the planning process? Surely this would be preferable to your current approach?

I am confused by WLPH's latest statement. Is the essence of the statement that they have a better knowledge of the cinema business than Everyman, who have operated a highly successful cinema chain for almost 15 years? I know who I would back!

With respect to the argument that the cinema-only proposition is not viable, I would draw WLPH's attention to Everyman's first ever acquisition in Hampstead. Due to losses, the cinema was threatened with closure. But Everyman turned it around. What makes you think they can't do the same here? Whilst much missed, the ABC cinema is not what you would call a luxury outfit. Maybe a touch of luxury is what the people of Clifton, Redland and beyond are looking for? As far as I'm aware, Everyman haven't made any mistakes yet...

As for your argument about the contract completion date, I don't understand your point. Please could you clarify? Surely it is in the interest of both parties not to let it expire? Why would Medinbrand want to lose a 25-year contract? It's worth a massive amount to them. I'm genuinely confused, but maybe I'm missing something, in which case, apologies.

One other point I wanted to check - are CHIS supporting WLPH or not? Has a joint objection been filed? You made several statements to that effect, but most were removed. No formal retraction statement was made, and the comments on the petition still mention the joint objection. So please could you clarify?

I look forward to your response.

Thanks