Opposing development of flats in the Whiteladies Picture House

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Opposing development of flats in the Whiteladies Picture House.

Owner of Whiteladies Picturehouse

#51 Message from the owner of Whiteladies Picturehouse

2014-03-31 13:25

Dear All
As the owner of the Whiteladies Picturehouse, I feel it is important that I should clarify our proposals for the building.
I’m aware of a great deal of confusion being created by the so called “rival” proposals by the Whiteladies Picturehouse Group, and would like to take this opportunity to present the facts.
I’m incredibly grateful for all the support many of you have already pledged to our joint proposals with Everyman Media Group, and would like to thank you for that.
I have signed a legally binding contract with Everyman who are committed to leasing the building for 25 years and reopening it as a cinema as early as next year. They have publicly stated that they will invest in the region of £3 million fitting out the cinema. I will also be investing approximately £1million repairing and restoring the building. This is a real investment, and does not rely on public donation or grant assisted funding.
This deal is obviously subject to planning permission. We have applied for listed building consent to make minor alterations to the building in order to restore the 3 screen cinema. You may already be aware that the auditorium was split into 3 screens back in 1978 and we will be mirroring the existing sub-division in order to limit any further harm to the building.
We will be restoring the much-loved architectural features of the building including the ornate ceiling in the auditorium, the marble columns in the foyer and of course the iconic tower.
We have also applied for planning permission for 5 additional flats in the part of the building that was previously used as offices by Odeon and in the empty roof space above. These flats will not affect the cinema auditorium or foyer. Neither will they alter the existing exterior façade. They will be enclosed within the existing envelope of the building and will not change its appearance.
The flats are necessary to fund the extensive restoration work that must be carried out for the building to be re-opened to the public once again. This, in simple terms, is what makes our joint proposal with Everyman commercially viable and a very real opportunity to bring this building back to life as a cinema.
May I also address the question mark over the restrictive covenant put in place by Odeon when I purchased the building. I can confirm that an agreement is in place for this to be extinguished in return for an agreed sum of money. It is not a barrier to our proposals.
You may have received requests from the Whiteladies Picture house group to object to our proposals on the basis that they want to provide something “better”. The simple facts are:
• They don’t own the building and therefore are not in a position to do anything with it.
• They have never made a formal offer to buy the building or provided any evidence of having the funding to do so.
• The building is not for sale as a contract has been signed with Everyman
• The Clifton and Hotwells Improvement Society has not agreed to object to our planning application, despite the public claims made by the Whiteladies Picturehouse Group that it has.
• Our planning application is not, as WLPH allege, a “Trojan Horse” application in order to just build the flats and not the cinema. This is a ludicrous suggestion as Bristol City Council’s planners would never allow it. I have no such intention and am happy to confirm this in writing today. I am legally bound to provide the cinema to Everyman after planning consent is granted.
I sincerely hope this letter has helped you to better understand the issues being debated and given you confidence in our proposals.
1) This is the only viable option on the table and the only opportunity to reopen this historic building as a cinema after 13 years.
2) It is the only planning application up for consideration.
3) The Whiteladies Picturehouse group may have some nice ideas, but that’s all they are. Ideas. They don’t own the building.
4) If our planning application fails, I can’t stress enough that there is very real danger the building will sit empty for years to come.
Thanks for taking the time to read this.

David Lewin

2014-04-01 12:40

I am a local resident who has followed the progress of the situation with interest. I have no affiliation to Medinbrand, but am just someone keen to have a local cinema back.

Another day, and another challenging statement from WLPH, this time from Business Development Director, Eric Hargrave. It is such a shame that things have come to this - one would think that the proposed plans were totally at odds with WLPH's own ideas. The fact is, they aren't. They still tick a lot of WLPH's boxes. So such constant one-sided attacks seem unmeasured, and unnecessary. Could you not present your more realistic concerns more collaboratively, so that they can form an on-going part of the planning process? Surely this would be preferable to your current approach?

I am confused by WLPH's latest statement. Is the essence of the statement that they have a better knowledge of the cinema business than Everyman, who have operated a highly successful cinema chain for almost 15 years? I know who I would back!

With respect to the argument that the cinema-only proposition is not viable, I would draw WLPH's attention to Everyman's first ever acquisition in Hampstead. Due to losses, the cinema was threatened with closure. But Everyman turned it around. What makes you think they can't do the same here? Whilst much missed, the ABC cinema is not what you would call a luxury outfit. Maybe a touch of luxury is what the people of Clifton, Redland and beyond are looking for? As far as I'm aware, Everyman haven't made any mistakes yet...

As for your argument about the contract completion date, I don't understand your point. Please could you clarify? Surely it is in the interest of both parties not to let it expire? Why would Medinbrand want to lose a 25-year contract? It's worth a massive amount to them. I'm genuinely confused, but maybe I'm missing something, in which case, apologies.

One other point I wanted to check - are CHIS supporting WLPH or not? Has a joint objection been filed? You made several statements to that effect, but most were removed. No formal retraction statement was made, and the comments on the petition still mention the joint objection. So please could you clarify?

I look forward to your response.

Thanks

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2014-04-01 20:19

2014-04-02 09:29

It would be nothing short of a tragedy if the Whiteladies Picture House was converted to flats, let us please please keep some character on Whiteladies Road

2014-04-14 09:47

It was a gem. Let's have a cinema here.

2014-06-06 15:16

This building was part of my growing up, it has a history that should be preserved. Please don't turn it into flats, allow it to be used as it was intended. Allow other generations to see films in places other than the sterile chain cinemas that have no heart or sense of occasion.

2014-06-06 16:25

We must save this cinema

2014-06-06 17:19

I am deeply saddened to hear the proposals for this beautiful building.

2014-06-06 19:00

Please continue with your good work!

2014-06-08 10:36

Everything is being converted to flats. While we need houses and flats, there are plenty of brownfields or buildings with no quality that could provide the necessary homes.

2014-06-13 15:19

The comments section here is interesting, and there's clearly a lot of benefits to the Everyman proposals.

My concern is that any group which has financial interests in a project, particularly if (as is claimed here) it sufficient funds for a PR campaign to back it up will not be interested in community interests.

I don't dispute that the venue has always been a commercial venture, and whatever is decided needs to be financially viable or it will close for another decade or two. My worry is that Clifton doesn't need additional trendy eateries/bars, but does need somewhere where community groups can gather (because all the other have been similarly sold off for housing/service sector use).
That being said if the WLPH group makes unsubstantiated claims, such as support from other local groups, then they're only providing ammo for opposition parties and their PR firm. And you desperately need a financial plan that will make your project more likely to succeed. I know there's not much time, but if you can sort this out, we've got a chance to get something Clifton really needs.

2014-06-14 10:30

Most old cinemas have been completely destroyed, and modern multiplexes are horrible impersonal, empty boxes. Cinema trips should be about shared experience, a big screen and a pleasant environment. With so much available on line people base cinema trips on different criteria to the 1980's and 90's, which is why the Watershed is always packed and Cineworld or wherever empty. Please don't let such an asset be destroyed. If someone wants to watch a film on a 'small' screen they can do that at home.

2014-06-15 21:30

I support the proposal you've put forward to save the cinema.