Opposing development of flats in the Whiteladies Picture House

/ #62

2014-06-13 15:19

The comments section here is interesting, and there's clearly a lot of benefits to the Everyman proposals.

My concern is that any group which has financial interests in a project, particularly if (as is claimed here) it sufficient funds for a PR campaign to back it up will not be interested in community interests.

I don't dispute that the venue has always been a commercial venture, and whatever is decided needs to be financially viable or it will close for another decade or two. My worry is that Clifton doesn't need additional trendy eateries/bars, but does need somewhere where community groups can gather (because all the other have been similarly sold off for housing/service sector use).
That being said if the WLPH group makes unsubstantiated claims, such as support from other local groups, then they're only providing ammo for opposition parties and their PR firm. And you desperately need a financial plan that will make your project more likely to succeed. I know there's not much time, but if you can sort this out, we've got a chance to get something Clifton really needs.