Opposing development of flats in the Whiteladies Picture House

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Opposing development of flats in the Whiteladies Picture House.

2014-03-25 20:51

You can't support plans to restore the building to its former 1920's grandeur as there are no viable plans to do so! The only option on the table is the Everyman one. You should be careful what you wish for. If you object to the planning application for the 3 screen cinema and the flats that are needed to pay for the refurbishment, and the application is turned down, the building will sit empty for another 13 years. The Whiteladies picture house group do not own the building. They do not have any funding to restore or run it. They only have ideas and aspirations. That is the simple truth.

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2014-03-25 22:28

Charlotte Crofts, Whiteladies Picture House Ltd

#28 Clifton and Hotwells Improvement Society join WLPH ltd to object

2014-03-25 23:09

We are pleased to announce that the Clifton and Hotwells Improvement Society fully support our vision for the building. Here is what they have to say: "Clifton has long lacked any kind of Centre which could provide a focus for community activities. Not only is the Whiteladies Picture House a building of national importance which must be preserved intact for the benefit of future generations,it provides the ideal opportunity to fill a long-felt void. The WLPH ltds plans aim to serve the Community,not to exploit Clifton's heritage for private commercial gain. By conserving and ,where possible,reinstating the historic fabric of the building they acknowledge its architectural importance. And by highlighting its possibilities in serving the Community as a mixed use arts venue and social hub they underline its incalculable potential for every kind of educational and cultural activity without which Clifton continues to be impoverished". We will be submitting a detailed joint objection to the Medinbrand planning application shortly which will address many of the concerns expressed in these comments.

2014-03-26 07:25

I used to live in AlmaVale rd next to the Whiteladies cinema . It is a part of Bristols heritage and and a historic landmark. There is so little of 'old Bristol ' left we need to cling on to what's left.
Melanie Chiswell Brooks

2014-03-26 10:00

I have just spoken to the coordinator of CHIS and they have not agreed to support you. Once again, you are misleading people.

2014-03-26 11:48

The whiteladies road former cinema site has so much potential as a multi facet art venue to do anything else would be crime and a serious let down to all art lovers in the City of Bristol and surrounding areas.

2014-03-26 13:30

As an expat our beautiful buildings are very important heritage and should be protected. So much is ruthlessly pulled down and regretted later. What would London ,Paris or Rome ect be like if all old buildings were obliterated. We should respect and preserve what is part of our history.
Sandra Scott

2014-03-26 13:35

Sounds like a ploy to get change of use on the building.

2014-03-26 14:43

I can't believe we are still having to fight off these developers to try and ensure the Cinema's return to use, for the benefit of many and not just the pockets of a greedy few.
Good luck with the campaign

2014-03-26 15:14

I totally agree with views of the petition wording and deplore yet another attempt by the owners to significantly alter this heritage and wonderful building in order to bolster their profits. Whiteladies Picture House should be restored and used as a multipurpose arts and entertainment venue, and not for residential use whatsoever.

2014-03-26 20:26

A city that once had the aspiration to be European City of Culture should have the courage to defend this unique piece of our cultural heritage. The acceptance of the residential/cinema proposal would be pusillanimous.

2014-03-27 09:59

I like the idea of keeping the Whiteladies Picture House as a community space.
smr

2014-03-27 10:48

I visited the Hampstead Everyman in London last weekend, and have been visiting the cinema for nearly 50 years! Over time it has changed and modernised, but it is still a place where one can be guaranteed to find quality and diverse film programming - unlike the ever increasing number of cinematic chains where one can Vue only the latest blockbuster films (in greater comfort maybe).
I welcome the idea of having an Everyman Picture House in Bristol. If the price of reviving the Picture House is extensive internal redevelopment (even including some flats) - so be it - with the proviso that the external building structure and as many historial key features as possible remain intact.

2014-03-27 10:50

The Whiteladies Rd Picture House is a building of outstanding architectural value and therefore should be preserved in the most sensitive and communal manner. It should not be used as an opportunity to profit a development company but protected and managed by those who truly care.

2014-03-27 11:16

This cinema was always viable, but was closed by greedy developers. It is a listed building and so planning permission for various proposals has been denied. The current plan should be opposed, because it includes inappropriate residential accommodation.

2014-03-27 11:26

Why are people against the idea of commercial use? It's a cinema! Please could someone from WLPH confirm whether historically the building has ever been used for anything other than commercial purposes?

Pls could they also say how how much they need to raise for their project, and how they will do it?

2014-03-27 11:40

The Whiteladies picture house do not own the building and are therefore not able to do anything with it. It has always been a commercial arts venue. What's wrong with that? At least it has some guaranteed funding and will be open once more. Theatres are struggling to survive everywhere so why waste time with that. I have not once heard how WLPH will 1) buy the building 2) get the funding. Simple as that.

2014-03-27 11:49

It is sad that after all that has happened the owner seems to want to persist in developing the building in an unsympathetic way, and is clearly only motivated purely by profit. This latest application does nothing to change the owner's earlier applications apart from providing a small cinema within, clearly a sop to try to get the flats application approved.

2014-03-27 12:00

If you took the time to review the proposed Everyman plans, you would see that the amount of cinema space has not been reduced at all. The area taken up by the flats was never cinema space. It has been either empty or office space since the 1970s

2014-03-27 15:19

I live in Clevedon where our small local cinema is a vital part of the community. I feel it would be tragic not to keep this most important building / cinema open for the occupants of the community.

2014-03-27 15:21

An essential part of the local community and should be maintained

2014-03-27 19:02

This is an amazing building with many unique architectural features. If these features are lost to a modern development they can never be recovered. There are more than enough dwellings in the Whiteladies Road area so this iconic building should be restored to its original state as a cinema with space for other forms of entertainment.

2014-03-28 01:50

Save the interior of The Whiteladies Picture House; It is too rare & too precious to be destroyed so mindlessly.

2014-03-30 18:34

I strongly oppose development of Flats in the Whiteladies Picture House and feel the Property would be of great value to the Bristol Public if it was developed into a Public Theatre/Concert Hall. Particularly for Hire use, by Amateur Music and Drama Clubs, who would welcome such a new venue. Thank you Terry J. Maggs. 29/03/14
HeritageMatters

#50 Re:

2014-03-31 12:04

#26: -

I don't live in Bristol but appreciate Britain's cultural legacy and do not want to live in a country devoid of character and heritage. I suppose it's no co-incidence the Medinbrand plans are being driven by the same PR person behind years of Tesco's demolishing of buildings and communities to make way for faceless supermarkets? Just a thought. It could be that 'the simple truth' turns out to be quite the opposite, so do not give up hope for another solution.