KEEP THE TRADITION OF SALMON NETTING ON THE TAMAR TAVY

Orri

/ #59

2014-04-02 12:40

53 When have the angling lobby or river trusts ever offered to work with netsmen on anything?
As a past net representive I have attended public enquiries and Net Limitation Orders and as
an angler I have attended angling AGM's and presentations and I can assure you there is no will
from anglers to work with netsmen in any way or form in fact they are working vigorously to bring about their demise at every level.Even the EA offer very little assistance to netsmen and its not surprising as most of their fishery staff are anglers themselves,come from an angling backround or have done their training in angling establishments they are by vocation anti-net.When the 1975 Freshwater Fishery Act was being compiled (yes I took part)you'd be surprised how much horsetrading took place especially as the ACT later recognised three distinct groups nets,rods and owners two contributed to the RA/NRA/EA running costs through licence duty and one did not and the same applies today yet one of those recognised groups have now been nigh on eliminated by a EA,rods and owners stitch up proving my point precisely.