Save RHS

Kaisala

/ #152 RHS Music

2014-08-25 01:29

I was part of Varsity Chorus during my time at Ren. No, I did not pursue a musical field, but music has helped me throughout my life. I have suffered with depression throughout many years beginning during high school. The only thing that really has been a continuous thread to hold me together. Every year, I have a concert with my mom of music from my RHS days. She's still trying to get her church to do our music properly. But the song "hear my prayer" has kept me from feeling lonely during many episodes. It reminded me to pray and that god is always near. I've never been good at memory verses , so the music has helped me write the very scriptures in my heart that got me through my life's most tragic times. Even not having the will to get out of bed for two weeks, singing those songs to myself has saved my life. 

It's about career for so many. The people I sang along side are now entrepreneurs, doctors, opera singers, and on broadway directly as a result of the music program. One of the greatest voices that could make me cry didn't even know she had that voice until joining the choir. She was class of 94. How can the Motown City lose it's music programs. It's the heart and soul of the city. Children who otherwise see the world looking at them expecting failure in such a "devastated city" have less to hope and dream for... The child said it's their turn and now it's gone. The research clearly shows how math and sciences are better understood by students of the fine arts, and is that now to say the thing that helps motivate and inspire students is reduced to a budget item that no longer holds enough value. 

I'm saddened that people who have lived through music being a lifeline can so easily take it away from others as if the impact has been minor. What will happen to children without an outlet? I imagine any pressure cooker without a release valve will explode. These children NEED an outlet. It's not optional. If they are not guided in how they express themselves it will more than likely become a negative expression. Doesn't Detroit have enough of that? As talented as these children are at least give them an opportunity to fundraiser to save their futures. Give them a chance to show their hearts for what they love before they even know the fullness of what it will bring. Give alum an opportunity to help them because we know the value from personal experience. Renaissance is known across the globe in part due to the fine arts program. Will it now lose it's impact and reach? 

Is the only solution a win or lose decision? Has the foundation of education not been set on the ability to seek out alternatives to what we already believe? Are students being taught to exercise a level of thinking not being used to determine a portion of its fate? Show students, not tell them, how to be solution focused. Show them, not tell them, how their futures are worth the fight. Show them, not tell them, they have a chance to paint their own life's canvass. Don't take away their tools.