Help The Recovery of the Wye Salmon

pencil

/ #27

2015-01-02 20:47

There is absolutely nothing wrong with SNR, the survival rate to smolt proves it. There are lots wrong with the ridiculous system of brood stock, striping, and growing alevins on in plastic tanks, in other words HATCHERIES. The scientists have proved hatcheries don’t work. So let’s except their word and join them in condemning this faulty system. All of us, one way and another, have allowed the habitat to degenerate into an unbalanced shambles. The proof is obvious to see.  Habitat improvement has worked to a certain extent, by addressing harmful effects, but without realistic improvement. The ongoing reduction within indigenous stock, while invasive creatures increase, proves that.

I believe SNR has proved its worth, and should be supported by all. I also believe, the present hatchery system lowers the effectiveness of SNR, and must be changed to something much more natural. In river Egg boxes are a tiny step in the right direction. I believe another way is to build SNR ponds in series, and connected by managed, spawning stream areas. I suggest your petition should seek to promote a more natural spawning system, while openly joining the scientists, by rejecting the present, and damaging, hatchery system. Surely, the more we unite, the better the salmon’s chances.