Alert ! French conservators-restorers are in danger !

/ #49

2016-04-04 09:15

Generations of great effort went into raising art conservation to its high international and scientific level of education and practice. To return this profession today to a mere 'mister fix it' level would a barbaric act in an otherwise so culturally rich country like France. It would effectively turn the French nation into a cultural pariah.

In fact it may be time for another 'French Revolution' to bring an end to the outdated feudal-style system in which curators still wield absolute power over a large population of conservators in private practice, desperately hoping to be awarded contracts by museums. Lets hope a revolution is not necessary and it will be understood - by reason - that a scientifically trained conservator is the equal partner of any curator in the care of cultural heritage. And, that this would lead to a balance of both curators and conservators as permanent staff members in French institutions, for nowadays young conservators are required to study as long (if not longer) in a university to earn their degree as young art historians to get their degrees.

Although I am not French, I consider the cultural treasures of France - created over millennia - of immense importance for humanity. The importance of these treasures rises well above any national interest. In my opinion there is a duty to continue taking care of these treasures on the highest professional level. I wish everyone involved enough wisdom to consolidate the conservation profession at its highest level in France.