Save Maize German Program

Anonymous

/ #10

2012-01-16 04:00

My family has been to Germany. It is an amazing country with rich culture that naturally draws you in. I think it is wrong to deny students an opportunity to experience diverse cultures here at Maize. My younger sibling and many of his friends were passionate about learning German, as our family is sure to go back and a solid background of the language would be extremely beneficial. Now he must choose between either Spanish or French, neither of which he wants to take.

I think that languages should be offered at the school to encourage students to branch out and become more aware of the world around them. By limiting the choices of future students, they may no longer feel passionate about the language they are studying. They will no longer be taking the class for the benefits and joy it offers, but rather to get the graduating requirements in. Is there even any point in including language in the curriculum if students will let themselves forget the language and culture as soon as the class is over? By limiting the choices, you are limiting the amount of students who will actually benefit from the class.

As many people have mentioned before, German is very close to English, and can actually help students understand our language better. Many students have European roots, so to deny them a chance to learn the language and culture of their ancestors is unreasonable. Even if German has a smaller interest group, the majority of German students are extremely passionate about the language.

It is easier for students to find classes that teach Spanish or French outside of school than it is for German students. Since these languages are more popular, it is easier for those who really care about the language to find ways to supplement their classroom learning. However, German students do not always have this opportunity. By getting rid of the German class at school, you are getting rid of some student's only ties to Germany and their backgrounds. This may be their only chance to learn the language without buying expensive CD programs. I have a cheaper version so I could get a little familiar with the language before our trip. It failed to provide the education that I had hoped for, and was much harder to learn from. The system taught hundreds of phrases and words just fine, but nothing included sentence structure, grammar, or answers to questions you might have. It also didn't provide a look into German culture at all. The classroom provides you with a chance to ask questions, practice with others, and actually try speaking the language.

As far-fetched as this seems, I would like to live in Germany some day. Even in a few short weeks overseas, I was captivated. It was the most amazing experience I have ever had. Since the program offers German trips every two years, it allows others to actually see the place that they have been studying about. Even if students were to find ways to learn elsewhere, they would not get the actual experience. When you learn about a country in a classroom, it almost doesn't seem real. However, when you actually go there, everything that you learned in class suddenly seems real. There is something about the charm of ancient buildings, unique food, beautiful mountains and landscapes of Germany that is unmatched by anything I have ever seen.

In conclusion, German is extremely important to the community. I am sure that many of the students would be willing to make sacrifices in order to keep German class at Maize. Many people fail to realize that the fine arts not only include music and art, but also languages. German class is my absolute favorite class at Maize High School, and if it was removed, I would be extremely disappointed. German is a huge part of my life, and to be denied this opportunity to experience this culture and language every day is heartbreaking. Please consider our pleas. German means a lot to us. <3