Save Maize German Program

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save Maize German Program.

2012-01-14 17:19

What in the world is going on with our educators? Removing German as a language course will only be detrimental in the short and long term at Maize.

2012-01-14 23:23

I'm not even in German, but I still think that Maize should keep it. It's an important language to many people! In fact, one of my friends is taking it so that she can speak fluently with her extended family, who happen to live in Germany. How else are kids going to learn this language? I, for one, think that we need to start having MORE languages at Maize, like Arabic or Italian, for example, instead of narrowing down our choices. Learning new languages is fun and it opens up your future job opportunities! So many people are learning Spanish and French nowadays that it's not even uncommon to know them or have had some prior training. Now German, on the other hand, is still a language that not many people in America know. It's more impressive on job resumes! I hate how Maize is canceling so many of our favorite classes. I was in Sewing and am VERY upset about both of these classes no longer existing. They're very important to our future jobs and careers!!

2012-01-15 09:19

The German program helped me experience a new and interesting culture that allowed me to relate to other diversities and even helped me understand the English language.

2012-01-15 10:01

No language should ever be cut as long as one person still wants to learn it, especially not such an amazing language as German.

2012-01-15 18:18

It provides another option for students. If German is cut, that will leave them with Spanish and French, both romantic languages. Students should have the option to branch out and study a Germanic language.

2012-01-15 20:13

Learning another language is so important for our students. It improves their learning ability and also helps them learn about another culture. German is a challenge that should be met by students everywhere and should be one of the schools' choices.

2012-01-16 02:11

Even though I've never taken a German class, the German program has extreme dedication from its students. Please keep their passion alive.
Mathias

2012-01-16 02:52

My friend was planning on taking German his Junior year, with the recent news that makes it impossible for him to take it now.

Let's keep German in the school district!

2012-01-16 03:17

Save German class!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

2012-01-16 04:00

My family has been to Germany. It is an amazing country with rich culture that naturally draws you in. I think it is wrong to deny students an opportunity to experience diverse cultures here at Maize. My younger sibling and many of his friends were passionate about learning German, as our family is sure to go back and a solid background of the language would be extremely beneficial. Now he must choose between either Spanish or French, neither of which he wants to take.

I think that languages should be offered at the school to encourage students to branch out and become more aware of the world around them. By limiting the choices of future students, they may no longer feel passionate about the language they are studying. They will no longer be taking the class for the benefits and joy it offers, but rather to get the graduating requirements in. Is there even any point in including language in the curriculum if students will let themselves forget the language and culture as soon as the class is over? By limiting the choices, you are limiting the amount of students who will actually benefit from the class.

As many people have mentioned before, German is very close to English, and can actually help students understand our language better. Many students have European roots, so to deny them a chance to learn the language and culture of their ancestors is unreasonable. Even if German has a smaller interest group, the majority of German students are extremely passionate about the language.

It is easier for students to find classes that teach Spanish or French outside of school than it is for German students. Since these languages are more popular, it is easier for those who really care about the language to find ways to supplement their classroom learning. However, German students do not always have this opportunity. By getting rid of the German class at school, you are getting rid of some student's only ties to Germany and their backgrounds. This may be their only chance to learn the language without buying expensive CD programs. I have a cheaper version so I could get a little familiar with the language before our trip. It failed to provide the education that I had hoped for, and was much harder to learn from. The system taught hundreds of phrases and words just fine, but nothing included sentence structure, grammar, or answers to questions you might have. It also didn't provide a look into German culture at all. The classroom provides you with a chance to ask questions, practice with others, and actually try speaking the language.

As far-fetched as this seems, I would like to live in Germany some day. Even in a few short weeks overseas, I was captivated. It was the most amazing experience I have ever had. Since the program offers German trips every two years, it allows others to actually see the place that they have been studying about. Even if students were to find ways to learn elsewhere, they would not get the actual experience. When you learn about a country in a classroom, it almost doesn't seem real. However, when you actually go there, everything that you learned in class suddenly seems real. There is something about the charm of ancient buildings, unique food, beautiful mountains and landscapes of Germany that is unmatched by anything I have ever seen.

In conclusion, German is extremely important to the community. I am sure that many of the students would be willing to make sacrifices in order to keep German class at Maize. Many people fail to realize that the fine arts not only include music and art, but also languages. German class is my absolute favorite class at Maize High School, and if it was removed, I would be extremely disappointed. German is a huge part of my life, and to be denied this opportunity to experience this culture and language every day is heartbreaking. Please consider our pleas. German means a lot to us. <3

Anonymous

2012-01-16 19:46

I think German should stay in the curriculum. It helps expand international understanding. First we got rid of Japanese and now they're trying to cut out German? There's nothing right about this at all. We're taught to be more open and understanding of different cultures but we can't do that unless we have a WAY to better understand.

2012-01-17 07:15

German is awesome we need to save it!

2012-01-21 19:39

It would have been nice to know that the administrators were thinking about cutting German when our son registered for classes. We may have made a different language choice if he wasn't going to be able to complete 4 semesters of German. He loves this class and would love to study abroad. Is German offered at Maize South? If not, then why not pool kids from both schools.
S

#14 Official language?

2012-01-23 00:25

If you have the power to edit the petition, please read this. You say that English is the official language of the US. We don't have an official language because that would restrict our freedom of speech. If you change that, I will sign the petition.