Petition for a Balanced Calendar in Cobb Schools

Enrich our Students Academics!

/ #200 The Breaks Allow Time at Home to Focus on Education

2012-01-17 15:59

Teachers are on limited "instructional time" and are forced to rush through standards to accomplish their tasks. With the increase in classroom size, many students fall through the cracks and are unable to grasp their studies to there fullest potential. It has been extremely sad for me to see, over the years, how teachers don't have time for the hands on learning, field trips, etc. that fulfill the needs of so many of our students. The Balanced Calendar, surprisingly, provided our family with breaks from the rush of school, to take a hold of what material was being taught and attempt to do the fun activities, take field trips, read, and even watch videos to better support the curriculum so that my children would be in a better position "get it." "Education" in our school systems has been so quantified and with the strong demands on the teachers and admin, it is a wonder how any student is really having any fun in learning. The breaks throughout the year (i.e.: various timing) have allowed, our family, to capitalize on the FUN of learning. With a set schedule, businesses will come around, new opportunities will abound (GREAT opportunity for working parents to enroll their students in mid-year camps or for service organizations to provide care in exchange for sought after service hours! Scouts can take amazing trips and GROW... bringing back this knowledge to their peers.) Education is about a well-rounded life experience... NOT JUST PASSING A STANDARDIZED TEST! Let's bring back LIVING TO LEARNING -- AND REALLY ENRICH OUR STUDENTS ABILITIES!