Petition for a Balanced Calendar in Cobb Schools

/ #216 Where are all the working parents?

2012-01-17 19:29

While I love having fall and winter breaks personally and can manage the balanced calendar, what about families where both parents work? It's fairly easy to find summer camps. It's very difficult to find camps during these breaks - there are hardly any that exist. Which leaves working parents with no options for childcare. It's not realistic to think that parents can take 3-4 weeks off DURING the school year to stay home with their kids. So what happens to the kids? Do they get left at home while their parents go to work? This is what concerns me. I'd LOVE to take my family on a vacation to see their grandparents in February. But let's be sure to consider the families who have no options for childcare during these breaks. Until the county/schools can provide "break camps" then I don't think it is a wise decision.

When I grew up, I started school after Labor Day and ended June 1 or so. Our days were longer - until 3:15. I do love having a winter break and/or fall break, do keep working parents in mind. Basically I'm torn on this issue.