Petition for a Balanced Calendar in Cobb Schools

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Petition for a Balanced Calendar in Cobb Schools.

4Ed

#201 Our goal is education....not fixing tax revenue problems and special interest issues.

2012-01-17 16:02

Cobb County students were less stressed out by the shorter summer and breaks every so often. Teachers were out sick a lot less with a report from the CCSD school board calulating $1,000,000 in savings on substitute teacher pay (talk about tax revenue issues) which can support education's constant budget cuts. Don't forget who the school board represents. Parents, students, and teachers in support of education (not private industry). We love our local businesses but lets stay focused on education.

#202 Re:

2012-01-17 16:07

#199: -

Re:

"This recent week off in January.....working parents found very challenging as they need to return to work the first week in January."

- but working parents don't have to work during the August 1 calendar's September and February breaks?

#203 Re: Our goal is education....not fixing tax revenue problems and special interest issues.

2012-01-17 16:10

#201: 4Ed - Our goal is education....not fixing tax revenue problems and special interest issues.

Cobb County students were more stressed out by the more frequent stops and starts to their school routine.

Teachers were out sick a lot less with notification last that they would be subject to RIF's if they had a high number of absences.

Savings from substitutes last year was due to change in compensation rate on substitutes coupled with new RIF policy notification.

#204 Re:

2012-01-17 16:12

#199: -

72% of Cobb County residents did not vote for the August 1 start date calendar last February.

#205 Re:

2012-01-17 16:14

#196: -

Given that, when given a choice between a candidate supporting the August 1 calendar and a candidate supporting a later/more traditional calendar, the voters have in every case chosen the later - I think they are listening to the voters.

2012-01-17 16:28

The balanced calendar was better for my youngest, who didn't get burned out in school last year. And for our family to be able to take breaks together throughout the year.
cobbmom2

#207 question

2012-01-17 16:35

For those who are in favor of the balanced calendar, has there been a discussion on the impact of those weeks off on children in low-income homes? Many of our non-affluent areas have schools where the only meals children receive are at school, and parents cannot afford/have the resources for childcare during those odd weeks off. There are programs in place in the summer for these children, but will enough be done for them during the breaks? Just curious on the proponents' thoughts on this.

#208 Re: Re: School Calendar

2012-01-17 16:42

#158: - Re: School Calendar 

"virtually unopposed"= they won their primaries then didn't face any opposition in the general election. And calling a meeting in less then 4 days on a Sunday when these a regular meeting scheduled for later that week? Sounds kinda like they wanted to have their own little meeting and if you check the records where they were investigated by the grand jury and sac's they got spanked for that meeting!

#209 Re: Re: two people doesn't tell us much

2012-01-17 16:45

#177: - Re: two people doesn't tell us much 

And what about fulfilling any other campaign promises? They fulfill one and their done? Good job...

#210 Re: Re: Re: School Calendar

2012-01-17 16:56

#208: - Re: Re: School Calendar

So they faced opposition in the primaries.

"own little meeting"  - they didn't prohibit anyone from attending.  I think LCE said she wanted to attend her yoga class rather than the board meeting didn't she?

Sounds like they wanted to do exactly as they said they were doing:  have the new chairperson set the agenda for the new board meeting (just as they did this year) rather than have the old chairperson do so.

The ousted board that voted in the August 1 calendar voted improperly in executive session what was it - 51 times?

The current board, recognizing that the whole first meeting agenda/chairperson selection process needed to be clarified/formalized - is addressing the issue.

2012-01-17 17:42

My biggest concern regarding the current Cobb County school calendar is the timing of the December/January break...for years, my family has enjoyed the week before the Christmas holiday and further, we have built traditions around all being home together during that time. A few of those traditions were were broken this year because my daughter was in school until 3 days before Christmas.

I am open to hearing both sides of a discussion around the February and September breaks before taking a firm position on those points...but this petition is highly needed and I am very supportive of it, and looking forward to discussions ensuing on all of the related matters.

2012-01-17 18:08

The balanced calendar is better for kids. As expectations increase, we've got to give them "time to breathe".

#213 For the balanced calendar

2012-01-17 18:20

As a parent and employee of Cobb County, I can say the balanced calendar is wonderful. The students and teachers are renewed with the breaks. Absenteeism is less with students and teachers. The balanced calendar was originally a 3 year study to see if test scores, absenteeism improved. 3 years did not happen. As a parent, employee of the county, getting out a couple of days before Christmas is unacceptable. Having my own kids having final exams on the last day before break at the last period of the day is also unacceptable as well.
At least make the decision based on education, not your own personal agenda. Get off of the Texass band wagon, which most of our board is on. Hopefully, most of the board will only have one term.
Mich

#214 Should hold for 2013/2014

2012-01-17 19:11

I think this should be on agenda for the 2013/2014 year. Because again, summer camps have already completed their programming and changing this mid year hurts small business. That said, I approve of the balanced calendar, but not when summer plans are already being made.

#215 Re: Should hold for 2013/2014

2012-01-17 19:13

#216 Where are all the working parents?

2012-01-17 19:29

While I love having fall and winter breaks personally and can manage the balanced calendar, what about families where both parents work? It's fairly easy to find summer camps. It's very difficult to find camps during these breaks - there are hardly any that exist. Which leaves working parents with no options for childcare. It's not realistic to think that parents can take 3-4 weeks off DURING the school year to stay home with their kids. So what happens to the kids? Do they get left at home while their parents go to work? This is what concerns me. I'd LOVE to take my family on a vacation to see their grandparents in February. But let's be sure to consider the families who have no options for childcare during these breaks. Until the county/schools can provide "break camps" then I don't think it is a wise decision.

When I grew up, I started school after Labor Day and ended June 1 or so. Our days were longer - until 3:15. I do love having a winter break and/or fall break, do keep working parents in mind. Basically I'm torn on this issue.

#217 Re: question

2012-01-17 19:46

#207: cobbmom2 - question

For those who are in favor of the balanced calendar, has there been a discussion on the impact of those weeks off on children in low-income homes? Many of our non-affluent areas have schools where the only meals children receive are at school, and parents cannot afford/have the resources for childcare during those odd weeks off. There are programs in place in the summer for these children, but will enough be done for them during the breaks? Just curious on the proponents' thoughts on this.

I'm not affluent, but I am also do not have very low income, either. I do, however, volunteer, talk and work with many lower- income families.

In 2010, some of the older kids of these working families participated in different free programs located at various Cobb County recreation centers. They put the really young kids in daycare- and some of those daycares had programs for older kids. It really wasn't expensive because these facilities made sure that they had accommodations. As a matter of fact, it ended up being about the same or lower than if they had a longer summer, because the rates were lower in the fall.

But to tell you the truth, the families that put their kids in these types of programs were a small percentage in 2010. The great majority of lower-income families actually went on vacation in 2010... many of them for the first time! Most of them drove down to Florida, taking advantage of lower rates on hotels and discount theme park tickets. Many of them went on cruises. Some went to Tennessee and stayed there and had fun. And some stayed home and just relaxed.

#218 Re: Re:

2012-01-17 19:46

#18: - Re:

Actually the one did not "campaign" on a later start.  He just does what the others tell him too!

#219 Re: Re: Re:

2012-01-17 20:02

#218: - Re: Re:

Re:

"Actually the one did not "campaign" on a later start.  He just does what the others tell him too!"

I'm confused, which school board member are you attempting to disrespect here?

2012-01-17 20:31

Thank you for the opportunity to comment once again. I do hope that the input on this issue, which appears to be overwhelmingly FOR a more balanced calendar, would be taken into serious consideration by the school board this time around. We are all on the same team!

#221 wow

2012-01-17 21:38

I see the passion on both sides. I appreciate the mother who wants a balanced calendar because it's how her child learns best. I appreciate the moms and dads who want a traditional calendar. I appreciate everyone's reasoning.

I want my children to be well educated and well equipped to thrive in a hyper-competitive world. I want all our kids to be well equipped for a rough future. I agree with post #10 regarding correct battles - is this it?

Honestly - the debate on both sides has just made my decision process regarding home schooling my kids a bit easier. The reality is that I want my children to be educated and able to "cowboy up" in the face of adversity.
I'm not sure this argument addresses my concerns.

#222 Re: Re: Re: Look at Tax Revenue in Sept and Feb

2012-01-17 21:46

#101: My child's well being is my decision maker! - Re: Re: Look at Tax Revenue in Sept and Feb Your child may learn better with a balanced calendar but some don't. Why should anyone else care about your child's needs over our childrens needs? Just sayin....

#223 Re: Where are all the working parents?

2012-01-17 22:10

#216: - Where are all the working parents? 

I am a working parent and so is my husband.  The balanced calendar allows us time to vacation with our children and send them to friends or families houses.  It gives them a break from school, so we can make these types of plans.  Finding a place for my child for a week is much easier (and affordable) than finding a place for 3 months!  Last year we took a vacation that we had already planned and got a call from the school social worker for missing school.  Coming down on families for time off in a year where the balanced calendar was removed AFTER BEING APPROVED is ridiculous! 

2012-01-17 22:44

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

#225 Common Core / Block Scheduling/ Yearly calendar

2012-01-17 22:51

I have a question for anyone who is a HS teacher or who knows more about how the schedules work for older kids. The DOE is going to a Common Core Standards framework next year. I have an elementary school student but know that the high schools work on a Block Schedule. One of the things that many people like about the Block Scheduling is that it allows for finals to be taken before winter break. I heard that Common Core may affect the Block Scheduling which will then affect the exam scheduling. Is that a rumor or is there any truth to it?

Just wondering if this will have any affect on the calendar? Anyone know anything? I have heard from many other parents that one of the reasons that we do try to start early is so that high school students can take exams prior to winter break but don't know if this is fact or rumor.

Anyone? Bueller??