Petition for a Balanced Calendar in Cobb Schools

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Petition for a Balanced Calendar in Cobb Schools.

#251 Re: Re:

2012-01-18 19:01

#249: - Re:  

I do work in the real world and see a LOT more real world in a year then you have in your lifetime! But I think throwing children into the real world is a little over kill, but please tell me and the rest of us about the real world that you live in! I know I'd love to hear about it, I can always use a good laugh!

#252 Re: Re: Re:

2012-01-18 19:03

#248: - Re: Re:  

Tell me the last time Cobb out scored Cherokee in any of the tests!

#253 Re: Re: Re:

2012-01-18 19:05

#247: - Re: Re:  

Uhm how many illegals live in 1 apartment and renters don't pay near the same amount as home owners!

2012-01-18 19:09

Our daughter started school three weeks after I began teaching in Cherokee County in August, 2011. This was a hardship on our family.
- 96+% of the students in this country are not on the August 1/balanced calendar. It's not my concern that you choose the rarely used frequent break calendar.
What would you do if you were RIF'd and worked elsewhere where you didn't get the summer and frequent breaks off?
.... hardship on our family, and her mother had to take personal days off from her job to assure her child's safety.
- in the real world, we use: day care, nannys, au paires, lifestyle choices rather than whining

#255 Re: Re:

2012-01-18 19:10

#242: - Re:  

That's right they were, you tell em! BTW who ran against them in the general election again? So the choice was them or them...

#256 Re:

2012-01-18 19:17

#254: -  

What?

2012-01-18 19:40

So what's going to happen next? Is it going up for the Jan 26th meeting? Or is it dead and we have to rally, campaign and move against the anti-balanced calendar candidate in November?

2012-01-18 19:40

It is very hard for most working parents to take off extended times either at Christmas or summer vacation. It is much more feasible from both academic and vacation perspectives to have staged breaks rather than lump breaks throughout the year. The vacation that my family took in September that year was the best vacation my family ever had because the temperature was not 100 degrees and we could get out and enjoy the outdoors.

2012-01-18 19:50

I feel that the students, parents and teachers are all in need of these breaks throughout the year.

#260 Re:

2012-01-18 19:51

#257: -  

I'm sorry to have to break it to you but no amount of signatures is going to change the minds of 4 members of this board. We need to make sure the election goes our way this year.

2012-01-18 20:15

let's just make the descision make it stick...it's very hard to plan out activities with a constant changing calendar!

2012-01-19 00:01

READ THE DATA; THIS CALENDER WOULD SAVE THE COUNTY MONEY!

2012-01-19 00:26

Hate the calendar changes like the old one made big travel plans before changed 2nd time and missed a week of school it was supposed to b a 3 yr plan get ur minds straight cobb

2012-01-19 00:52

This calendar is important for students to
keep motivation at maximum and burnout to a minimum.

2012-01-19 04:33

ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR BODY WANTS THIS TO HAPPEN.

2012-01-19 06:15

I had better grades with the balanced calendar. now its very stressful and harder to keep track of everything. this calendar will help students.

2012-01-19 06:16

Everyone please sign!

2012-01-19 13:49

2012-01-19 15:05

Please bring back the balanced calendar. I took last year for granted how well the schedule worked in favor of our children and our teachers. I appreciated that all could work hard and still have much needed breaks to "recharge." I am not a fan of this year's calendar. One of the biggest reasons was I felt it ruined my Christmas. Who the heck wants their kids out a week after the New Year??? Christmas came and went and we lost precious time to spend as a family. Oh, but I had such a long week to eat lots of leftover turkey. Nice planning Cobb.

2012-01-19 18:02

There are several good reasons to support a balanced calendar and NO solid educational reasons to support the current one. Since students in Cobb County do not generally have to worry about bringing in the harvest, let's (re)join the 21st century!

2012-01-19 18:12

My daughter struggles in school & doesn't like it. she gets burnt out on school & the breaks give her something to look forward to. Her grades were so much better last year when they had the balanced calendar. Her attitude about school was so much better too!

#272 STOP THE BICKERING

2012-01-19 18:27

WOW! Everyone is so well heated up about this subject, and its because it involves our kids. I have read through all of these comments and the bickering back and forth is ridiculous, some should be ashamed of themselves. This type of petty behavior is what got other school boards in trouble in this state, and it really needs to stop here. Understand that when you voted for what calender you preferred it was not the majority rules election. So why is everyone getting bent out of shape when the majorities didn't get what they wanted. Read what you voted for people. Everyone, myself included, needs to respect others opinions and realize we and our children are not the same. What works for one is not going to work for everyone, respect that. We all have to compromise and try to see this from all angles instead of just our own. I understand the parents that have children that do well with breaks and time to regroup but the other calender works for other children too. Yes the long vacation time for Christmas this year seemed a bit excessive but it worked in favor of many high school students that were able to work and earn extra money. But it may not have worked well for kids in the younger grades, but the kids aren't all one age.
Everyone is not going to be happy with whatever the outcome is, and do we really have to go through this each time we don't get what we want. Talk about wasting our tax dollars! By the time our kids are in school we should have taught them that we don't always get what we want but that compromise works in everyone's interest and to respect others opinion. As adults you should do what it is that we preach to our kids. Respect others opinions and compromise. Don't whine and kick your feet and shout at the top of your lungs when you don't get what you want, not everyone is going to get what they want, its just the way this old world works. And if you can't compromise and respect other peoples opinions then you may need to go back to grade school and learn the golden rules again.....

2012-01-19 22:21

Lets hope they stick to it this time and listen to the people or we vote a new board that will follow through and stick to what the public wanted!!!!

2012-01-19 22:59

Supports the balance calendar. Don't allow a theme park to determine our school calendars as they did this year!

#275 Re: Reality Check

2012-01-19 23:47

Absolutely! As a community, we need to focus on education and not how many breaks we get a year! Georgia's educational ranking should dictate what we need to focus on, and a balanced calendar is not it. Officials need to look at states whose students perform well in school and adopt the same practices that they do. Let's focus on what we can do to improve the quality of our children's education. More parents need to volunteer at the schools to help enrich learning at school. Parents need to make school a priority, not sports or free time. Ask the children what they did on their "break". Most kids will tell you that they played video games, watched television, and stayed up late. It takes at least three or four days for children to adapt after school restarts after a break, which means that most of them are not productive. And let's not forget the countdown to the next break! Let's send our kids to school in the beginning of August, when it is so miserably hot outside, that the students cannot go outside for recess and ride non- air conditioned buses to and from school. Yes, Cobb County residents, let's WASTE more time on this ridiculous issue! Adoption of a calendar that is more aligned with the rest of the country will allow us to mimic states with an effective educational system and give year end exams at the end of the school year. CRCT exams are given six weeks before the end of the school year, so our students think that they have completed the school year at that point. Unfortunately, that's true. So, curriculum that is supposed to taught in a 180 day school year is taught in 150 days.....When will that be addresses??