Petition for a Balanced Calendar in Cobb Schools

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Petition for a Balanced Calendar in Cobb Schools.

Mom 2 4

#276 Here We Go Again

2012-01-20 00:25

Balanced Calendar Issue -- Here we go again. Whether you are for or against it, here is today's proof that any survey done is not accurate. This statistic was copied and pasted from the Petition website... "3 261 people have signed this petition. The signatures originated from 2 526 different IP addresses" ...that is already 735 duplicate votes and the petition has only been out a week.

2012-01-20 00:54

Thank you for taking the initiative to put this petition together. I have talked to many people regarding the balanced calendar and all agree, except one, they want to return to the balanced calendar. Here's hoping the CCSD Superintendant, Board, and special committe recognize the majority this time, unlike last year, when the bottom line for local business was a priority over the collective voice of Cobb County students, teachers, and parents.

#278 Re: Here We Go Again

2012-01-20 00:55

#276: Mom 2 4 - Here We Go Again 

Perhaps more than one family member is voting.  I didn't think that was a problem.

Janet Gill

#279 NO to the balanced School Calendar

2012-01-20 01:22

I vote "NO" to the balanced School Calendar! I have an 8th grader and a 6th grader. My 8th grader did great in 6th grade with a traditional calendar. He struggled in 7th grade with the balanced calendar. The whole year, he worked hard trying to meet deadlines, having assignments to be completed during the Sept. and Feb. breaks, however, the assignments were given on Thursday before break and due Tuesday after break (I guess that doesn't count as an assignment during the break). This year, it is like 6th grade again, relaxed learning and without feeling the pressure of deadlines before break every 3 or so weeks. My 8th grader said to vote "NO". Also, think about the working parent! Not all parents are able to allow a parent to be a stay at home parent. There are not many college students available, programs or other types of care for the middle school kids that aren't quite old enough to leave at home with smaller children. I talking mainly about if you have a 6th grader and/or younger school age children. I often see on Facebook and hear people in our education system talking about how much longer until a break! I think that this is where society is moving toward "learn more" but school the students "less". On the other hand, I see dedicated teachers everyday who want what's best for the students. I applaude them! School is for learning! Do the parents run our schools or do we have educators that are paid to look out for what is best for our children? School vs Disney or the beach....hmmmmm, you decide. (I thought that was what spring break and summers were for.)

#280 Re: NO to the balanced School Calendar

2012-01-20 01:58

#279: Janet Gill - NO to the balanced School Calendar

Yes, school is for learning. Yes educators do look out for what is best for our children.  That is why the majority of educators want a balanced calendar.  The students are taught 180 days on both calendars.  Maybe 7th grade was just too hard for your son regardless of the calendar.  Oh, and long summers were initially created so children could work the farms and the fields.

Bring back the balanced calender

#281 Re: Here We Go Again

2012-01-20 02:21

So we take out the duplicate ip addresses and we have a accurate vote. Wow sounds like you took too many breaks in school because even my 12 year old figured that 1 out!

#282 Re: Re: Reality Check

2012-01-20 02:26

#275: Guest - Re: Reality Check 

You make some very good points and I do agree with most of them, but, why would you come here to try and change our minds about the calendar? Go to Georgia needs summers and help them. I'm sure after we start voting out the unbalanced 4 their going to need some help!

#283 Re: NO to the balanced School Calendar

2012-01-20 02:34

#279: Janet Gill - NO to the balanced School Calendar 

Lean more but school the students less??? Where shall I begin? 180 days vs. 180 days? I'm sorry I just don't follow? Please have your younger child, the one who seems to handle the "stress" of being on a short break, explain to you that they were in school the same amount of time and the same amount of days. Now run on back to the Georgia needs summers fokes and tell them how mean I was to you, if you can figure it out!

#284 Re: Re: Reality Check

2012-01-20 02:38

#275: Guest - Re: Reality Check 

Can't go outside to play because of the heat on Aug. 1 and the buses were too hot then also? You do realize we're talking about only 2 weeks later in Aug. right? I don't recall anyone building snowmen in mid Aug. Wake up! It's just as hot on Aug. 15 as it is on Aug. 1.

#285 Re: STOP THE BICKERING

2012-01-20 04:16

#272: - STOP THE BICKERING 

Thank you for this post!  It is so true. 

#286 Re: Re: NO to the balanced School Calendar

2012-01-20 04:17

JLB mom of 4.

#287 No thank you

2012-01-20 04:54

Less pointless weeks off, longer summer!!!!! I can't afford to take "vaca" through out the year. I like this years calendar very much.

#288 Re: Re:

2012-01-20 05:59

#16: - Re:  

UMMMM....YOU take a look...test scores all around - ITBS, CRCT, Graduation High School Test Score were UP!  You need to stop!

#289 Re: Re: Re:

2012-01-20 06:02

#288: - Re: Re:  

Balanced calendar is the way to go...If your student did worse...YOU need to look at that.  It was two weeks seperated by several months...really?!?!  Determine the problem!  I can tell you, it's not the teachers and it's not the calendar!!

#290 Re: Re: NO to the balanced School Calendar

2012-01-20 06:13

#280: - Re: NO to the balanced School Calendar

Unfortunately there you go again assuming what the majority wants when you have absolutely no idea. Why don’t you stick to what it is you know for sure and STOP telling the rest of the public what the majority wants.  Last I heard the majority of the educators, public school teachers, students, parents and the like don’t live in your house. And FYI no one cares that summers we initially created so children could work the farms and fields, its 2012, look at your calender!!!!!

#291 Re: Re: Re: NO to the balanced School Calendar

2012-01-20 10:23

#286: - Re: Re: NO to the balanced School Calendar 

Oops sorry for my fokes / folks misspells, I was thinking about my sons next school break. LOL. See unlike the Georgia needs summers "folks" and the unbalanced 4, I can admit when I'm wrong and I can laugh at myself.

#292 Re: MomO3

2012-01-20 15:27

#25: Mom03 - MomO3 I think that perhaps you are misundterstanding the impetus behind parents preference for a shorter duration of breaks.  Both of our children benefitted tremendously from the balanced calendar year.  I was at both of their sshools the week before the Christmas break. The children had an explosive amount of energy the entire week( the teachers looked liked they were ready to enter the nearest pshychiatric unit, God bless them all).  I don't see how much learning was taking place at that point.  Subsequently, after a near 3 week break, it was almost like returning from summer break.  Another week of readjusting to school.  Our children have a much heavier work load than did I at in elementary and middle school.  I can't speak to High School, haven't gotten thete yet.  From my personal viewpoint, last year our children were more motivated during the school year.  They worked harder for a few weeks, knowing they would have a respite shortly.  For me, and the other parents I've spoken with, the desire for a balanced calendar is absolutely about academeics and our children's mental well being.   Our children feel overwhelmed by their work load at times; 2 months without a break seems like an eternity to them.  Our middle shcool son often is working on projects and studying throughout the weekend. Many afternoons he begins his homework as soon as school lets out and works until bed time. He frequently puts in a longer day than his father.  I'm not sure what parents you are speaking with that would lead you to the conclusion that we just want to get the kids out of our hair.  I thourougly enjoy having the kids home, taking a break from the hectic schedule.  Frankly, I found your comments insulting.  I strive everyday to help my children be the best they can be.  To infer that we, as parents, are motivated by our own selfish needs is deeply offensive.

my kids love the breaks

#293 Re: Re:

2012-01-20 16:15

#18: - Re:

we did vote....if we could have only voted in every district.....my district has voted in a board member that is for the Balanced Calendar.

#294 Re: Re: MomO3

2012-01-20 17:31

#295 Re: Re: Re: Re: NO to the balanced School Calendar

2012-01-20 17:31

2012-01-20 17:43

The students are so much better behaved with the little breaks than when we have to wait for such long breaks.

#297 Re: Are you kidding???

2012-01-20 17:59

#95: Fed up with you people... - Are you kidding???

gosh, I think we're all so grateful to you for your helpful suggestions pertaining to our time management.  I was having such difficulty filling my time with with meaningful purpose until you so aptly pointed it out to us all.  Now that you have opened our eyes to a more purpose driven life, we'll certainly be the better for it.  Perhaps you could even use "suck it up and get a life" as a title to a new book. Our whole great nation can benefit from your pendantic analysis of the al the issues you  feel we are neglecting.  I suppose the majority of us have certainly misunderstood the revelance of the balanced calendar.

Anonymous

#298 Re: Here We Go Again

2012-01-20 19:41

This is not automatically an indication of duplicate votes. If the members of a single household all sign the petition from one computer, it would result in multiple votes from a single IP address. For example, if both spouses in a married couple who share one computer each signs the petition, that's 2 signatures from 1 IP address.

But you are correct in that the ratio of signatures to distinct IP addresses can indicate fraud. For example, if 3,000 people signed this petition from 2 different IP addresses, there's a problem. In this case, however, to deduce that 22% of the petitions signators are members of the same household is entirely reasonable.

#299 Re: Re:

2012-01-20 20:54

#16: - Re:

ITBS testing is done earlier in the school year and would not reflect the benefits of the balanced calendar.  The balanced calendar was put in place last year.  CRCT testiing, done toward the end of the academic year, woudl be the criteria on which to judge.  CRCT test scores were higher last year compared with the previous year.

#300 Re: Re: Are you kidding???

2012-01-20 21:08

#297: - Re: Are you kidding???

Here is another suggestion to help add meaning to your life - on facebook go to the page:  "cobb county school district unofficial community".  You should find a lot of deep thought, reflection, maturity, poise, selfless-ness, and intellect at work.

But, you probably already know that.