Petition for a Balanced Calendar in Cobb Schools

Janet Gill

/ #279 NO to the balanced School Calendar

2012-01-20 01:22

I vote "NO" to the balanced School Calendar! I have an 8th grader and a 6th grader. My 8th grader did great in 6th grade with a traditional calendar. He struggled in 7th grade with the balanced calendar. The whole year, he worked hard trying to meet deadlines, having assignments to be completed during the Sept. and Feb. breaks, however, the assignments were given on Thursday before break and due Tuesday after break (I guess that doesn't count as an assignment during the break). This year, it is like 6th grade again, relaxed learning and without feeling the pressure of deadlines before break every 3 or so weeks. My 8th grader said to vote "NO". Also, think about the working parent! Not all parents are able to allow a parent to be a stay at home parent. There are not many college students available, programs or other types of care for the middle school kids that aren't quite old enough to leave at home with smaller children. I talking mainly about if you have a 6th grader and/or younger school age children. I often see on Facebook and hear people in our education system talking about how much longer until a break! I think that this is where society is moving toward "learn more" but school the students "less". On the other hand, I see dedicated teachers everyday who want what's best for the students. I applaude them! School is for learning! Do the parents run our schools or do we have educators that are paid to look out for what is best for our children? School vs Disney or the beach....hmmmmm, you decide. (I thought that was what spring break and summers were for.)