Pedestrian Safety near Huff School

Quoted post

2014-03-05 00:11

I have lived across from Huff School since 1996 and have witnessed a huge increase in pedestrian and vehicle traffic in the last few years. Just this afternoon, I could not get into my driveway as it was half blocked by a parked car. As I waited, a mom and 2 small children were crossing from Huff to get to that car, walking between other cars, as yet another vehicle was slowly making a u-turn while other cars were trying to pull into the street from both sides of the road. Still more parents and kids, some with strollers, were randomly crossing the street between both moving and parked vehicles, often walking in the street since there is no sidewalk on the side opposite Huff.  In the mornings, there are also middle school children trying to bike through this type of mess and I worry for their safety as well.  I have also noticed more distracted drivers in recent years, creating even more risk.

Improving pedestrian and vehicle safety in this area will benefit school families as well as residents. Clear signage and road markings should accompany improvements to reduce the current confusion on where to safely and legally walk and park.  My kids have all walked and biked to Huff, Bubb, Graham and MVHS, and still do, so we know well the current challenging conditions and are eager for positive change.

Replies

Anonymous

#10 Re:

2014-03-05 01:50:41

#9: Guest -

Thank you for your comments.  It is stories like these that will help us make this a priority with the city!