say no to a columbarium next to our future home!

Quoted post

2014-12-31 05:25

I have received many feedback from existing residents of Fernvale and future residents of Fernvale Lea regarding the Straits Times article (on 30th Dec) on thefuture Chinese Temple with columbarium service in the precinct. There were also many erroneous and misleading articles claiming that there will be crematorium and funeral parlour services at this new Chinese Temple. I understand the concerns of residents.

I have met the CEO of LifeCorp (Developer of this new temple), URA and HDB to discuss and seek clarification this morning.This plot of land has been designated as a reserve site for a Chinese Temple in the URA Masterplan and has been reflected on the brochure for the Fernvale Lea BTO development. It has also been indicated in the bronchure that the proposed facility may include other ancillary uses, including Columbarium allowed under URA’s prevailing Development Control guidelines. I have verified with URA that such ancillary services (including Columbarium) should not be visible to the public and must not exceed 20% of the gross floor area.

The provision of Columbarium services in places of worship ( such as temples and churches) is not uncommon. They are available in Sengkang/ Punggol and other parts of Singapore, such as in Puat Jit Buddhist Temple (in Anchorvale), Fo Guang Shan Temple (in Punggol) and Church of St Francis Xavier ( in Serangoon Gardens), just to name a few.

This new Chinese Temple will be the first Chinese Temple in Singapore and in the region (outside Japan) with a modern automated Columbarium where niches are kept behind four walls and retrieved to eye level in private viewing booths to maintain privacy and solemn dignity during visitations. Visitation times will be done through E-booking to minimise crowds congregation (which is a common challenge in many traditional Columbarium). Buddhist worship and services will also be conducted in-doors in air- conditioned halls to minimise noise. To protect the environment, there will not be open burning of incense and offerings at the temple. I have also been reassured by the developer that there will NOT be crematorium or funeral parlour services at the new temple. In addition, there will be provision of free parking spaces in the temple premise as well.

The development plan of the Chinese Temple is still being finalised and we will be organising a dialogue session with LifeCorp, URA and HDB on 4th January 2015, 10am (Sunday) at Anchorvale CC multipurpose hall for them to share their plans with residents. Residents are most welcome to attend to share your feedback and concerns.

Replies

#134 Re:

2014-12-31 05:50:12

#131: -  

Would appreciate alternative arrangement for people who cannot overcome the psychological barrier of living beside a columbarium. Sincerely hope residents like us are taken care of.