say no to a columbarium next to our future home!

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition say no to a columbarium next to our future home!.

2014-12-31 04:07

We do not want columbarium funeral place beside our home !!!

#127 Re: 6 reasons why building a columbarium is wrong in Fernvale Link

2014-12-31 04:36

#118: nocolumbarium - 6 reasons why building a columbarium is wrong in Fernvale Link 

6. No matter what other preventive measures or compromises is made, if the government should decide to go ahead with the building of the columbarium, please remember what happened to the MPs and minister who were faced with a similar issue in Serangoon Gardens foreign workers dormitory incident in 2008 and still decided to go ahead with building them. Where did the MPs and minister go in 2011?

Yah they went ahead and build Serangoon Garden workers dormitory but lost the whole Aljunuied GRC. Hopefully they learnt their lesson. GE coming soon.

2014-12-31 04:44

Totally unacceptable. Should inform the public before the bto launch.

2014-12-31 05:13

Building a funeral parlour in the middle of a densely populated estate with families with young children does not make any sense at all! HDB should seriously consider taking back the decision it had made in allowing a commercial firm to run such business there! This is not acceptable at all! Chinese temple or a church is fine ... but not a funeral palour, please!!!!!!!!

2014-12-31 05:17

The best place to build the columbarium is near TPE exit 12 opposite Tong Lee Road. Not in the heart of a housing estate.

I will not be in a hurry to collect keys that's for sure.

2014-12-31 05:25

I have received many feedback from existing residents of Fernvale and future residents of Fernvale Lea regarding the Straits Times article (on 30th Dec) on thefuture Chinese Temple with columbarium service in the precinct. There were also many erroneous and misleading articles claiming that there will be crematorium and funeral parlour services at this new Chinese Temple. I understand the concerns of residents.

I have met the CEO of LifeCorp (Developer of this new temple), URA and HDB to discuss and seek clarification this morning.This plot of land has been designated as a reserve site for a Chinese Temple in the URA Masterplan and has been reflected on the brochure for the Fernvale Lea BTO development. It has also been indicated in the bronchure that the proposed facility may include other ancillary uses, including Columbarium allowed under URA’s prevailing Development Control guidelines. I have verified with URA that such ancillary services (including Columbarium) should not be visible to the public and must not exceed 20% of the gross floor area.

The provision of Columbarium services in places of worship ( such as temples and churches) is not uncommon. They are available in Sengkang/ Punggol and other parts of Singapore, such as in Puat Jit Buddhist Temple (in Anchorvale), Fo Guang Shan Temple (in Punggol) and Church of St Francis Xavier ( in Serangoon Gardens), just to name a few.

This new Chinese Temple will be the first Chinese Temple in Singapore and in the region (outside Japan) with a modern automated Columbarium where niches are kept behind four walls and retrieved to eye level in private viewing booths to maintain privacy and solemn dignity during visitations. Visitation times will be done through E-booking to minimise crowds congregation (which is a common challenge in many traditional Columbarium). Buddhist worship and services will also be conducted in-doors in air- conditioned halls to minimise noise. To protect the environment, there will not be open burning of incense and offerings at the temple. I have also been reassured by the developer that there will NOT be crematorium or funeral parlour services at the new temple. In addition, there will be provision of free parking spaces in the temple premise as well.

The development plan of the Chinese Temple is still being finalised and we will be organising a dialogue session with LifeCorp, URA and HDB on 4th January 2015, 10am (Sunday) at Anchorvale CC multipurpose hall for them to share their plans with residents. Residents are most welcome to attend to share your feedback and concerns.

2014-12-31 05:46

Appreciate Dr Lam's effort to clarify. What's done is done and since we cannot veto this business decision, then for those who are still mentally unprepared to live at such close proximity to one, where do we proceed from there? Hope HDB and MND will address this issue.

2014-12-31 05:48

Please, if it a temple you guys wants to build it ok with me but pls do not build a Columbarian. There is alot of young couple and young children. People might get scared to go home at night and also get scared to park at Multi-Storey Carpark.

#134 Re:

2014-12-31 05:50

#131: -  

Would appreciate alternative arrangement for people who cannot overcome the psychological barrier of living beside a columbarium. Sincerely hope residents like us are taken care of.

2014-12-31 06:07

How can a temple stated become a columbarium ? If the authority informed us during our application, do you think we will apply ? I sincerely hope the board to consider moving the columbarium to industrial estate or west near to Lim Chu Kang.

2014-12-31 06:33

No to columbarium !

2014-12-31 06:33

I am very disappointed with MND and HDB for allowing this to happen. I do not see this columbarium as being ancilliary to a temple. It is run by a commercial entity , so it is more a columbarium than a temple with a columbarium attached. 

Has HDB ever leased its places of worship to non-religious organisations? Is this the first time it is doing so? Is money all that matters now? What happened to this vision of HDB's - 

" An outstanding organisation with people committed to
fulfilling aspirations for homes and communities all are proud of " ?

I was looking forward to getting my keys to a flat in Fernvale Rivergrove ( next door to Fernvale Lea where this columbarium will be sited) next year. I no longer am. What a way to end 2014 and enter 2015. Forget about the celebrations for SG50.  Please take better care of the citizens of Singapore and their real needs first. I believe many future residents of Fernvale Lea, Fernvale Rivergrove and Lush Acres are as disappointed as me. 

#138 say no to a columbarium next to our future home!

2014-12-31 07:02

No Way to build area tis area is people to stay not dead people stay , please leave , never give us any permission  and that very bad

#139 Re:

2014-12-31 07:04

#137: -  

Agree with #137

Choose a nickname

#140 Subject

2014-12-31 07:05

"Puat Jit Buddhist Temple (in Anchorvale), Fo Guang Shan Temple (in Punggol) and Church of St Francis Xavier ( in Serangoon Gardens)" these temples and churches their main purpose are for people to worship.

But this company is using the name of temple to make money. As simple as that .

2014-12-31 07:14

That is right!  THAT COMPANY is using temple name to make money!  

How can MND and HDB do NOT listen to the our voices to stop this?

#142 No to columbarium

2014-12-31 07:14

How can a temple be a profit center? I will never buy this unit if I know it is next to a columbarium. Hope HDB can allow us to withdraw the unit without penalty since we are not mentally prepared to stay next to a columbarium.

2014-12-31 07:15

Very disappointed and ANGRY.  Not looking forward to getting keys anymore!

2014-12-31 07:17

Should not collect key before this issue is settled.

2014-12-31 07:29

Agree, should NOT collect key before this issue is settled.

#146 Re: Re: 6 reasons why building a columbarium is wrong in Fernvale Link

2014-12-31 07:34

Breeze

#147 Subject

2014-12-31 08:45

Dr Lam, we will count on u le.

fighting fighting fighting.

Yes its not uncommon to have, but is there a need to be located here.

not right la to have a columbarium smack in the middle of fervale lea, rivergrove , ridge and lush arch. Thousands of families affected. 

2014-12-31 09:13

Please build the Columbarium somewhere else!

2014-12-31 09:24

HDB should be more sensitive and transparent.

2014-12-31 09:32

Based on Dr Lam's post which mentioned that this will be the first automated columbarium outside Japan and these 2 articles, ( can't post this comment with the http attached. will do so in further comment) 

there could be 89,600 urns in this sengkang columbarium .

A 50 square metre space can store 7,000 urns in an automated columbarium ( see first article)

This land parcel has a maximum allowable gross floor area of 3200 square metres ( see Lifecorp's tender for land parcel - second article). 20 percent of 3200 ( 640 sq metres )  is allowed by HDB for use as columbarium.

I am shocked that HDB awarded the tender to Lifecorp. 90,000 urns