say no to a columbarium next to our future home!

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition say no to a columbarium next to our future home!.

Fernvale rivergrove

2015-01-01 04:44

Please do take note that the rest of the columbarium are all facing serious traffic jam during 

Qing Ming festival when all the descendent will pay their respect to their ancestor. So do you tthink there will be no problem

if built in that small plot of land in Fernvale link. Do the person in charge expect the family to do the E-booking during this period. 

Come in lah is totally not possible . Ok. 

Another question is do any if the said columbarium etc. in Anchorvale , Hougang , handling full range of funeral services as their main core of interest. The answer is none.l

Choose a nickname

#202 Subject

2015-01-01 04:47

Hi all, I am a resident currently residing in Fernvale. This morning, I took a walk around the area and looked at the Main Street of Seng Kang West. Such a beautiful and active heartland where there are so many residents living in these high-rise buildings. This type of planning to build such temple is absolutely ridiculous. I am not trying to be rude, but as a resident, I honestly don't understand why such planning would take place, furthermore right in the heartland of Seng Kang West. Not only are the residents feeling angry and sad, I feel that this planning has no respect for the deceased. They should have a place where it is quiet and peaceful, not where cars zooming and people on the junction roads making noises everyday. This planning is like, building a "temple" right beside AMK Hub. 

#203 Re: Re:

2015-01-01 05:02

#188: Awakening - Re:  

Where do you live? Maybe can purpose build one beside your place since you are so accepting to the idea.

Reconsider PAP 2016

2015-01-01 05:05

"" A 50 square metre space can store 7,000 urns in an automated columbarium ( see first article)

This land parcel has a maximum allowable gross floor area of 3200 square metres ( see Lifecorp's tender for land parcel - second article). 20 percent of 3200 ( 640 sq metres )  is allowed by HDB for use as columbarium....

I am shocked that HDB awarded the tender to Lifecorp. 90,000 urns . ""

omg...does PAP need those votes as well....

Next question, what is built next to it ? PAP headquater ?

2015-01-01 05:15

On 30 Dec, Life Corp told Straits Times that the space will be used to run funeral services, columbarium space and associated services. Today, we understand from ST that they had told the MP that they will not used it for funeral parlour service. So the assurance is "no parlour" only, but what about selling and providing funeral and related services, storage of coffins and funeral items in the premises, parking of funeral vehicles in the carpark? Who is going to monitor them in the future? 

Frighter

#206 Oh My God...

2015-01-01 05:17

I can accept any temple of worship, being a mosque, church, Hindu temple, Taoist temple, Buddhist temple and so on...but a columbarium beside my new flat which I have waited for almost 3 years now, is a NO NO to me

2015-01-01 05:29

All ungracious people. Thoughts of resale value is the first pirority. HDB is not for you young people to earn money. It is a place for you to stay.

What supertitious? Young couple, can anyone tell the world or cast a vote on how many of you have an altar at home where you dutifully offer prayers and incense everyday?

I believe no religious belief have said that living near a columbarium is a taboo right?

Wake up all your ideas people, if you don't like then don't stay. You expect to find luxurious swimming pool, door step mrt station and bus interchange and state of the art shopoing for that peanuts you pay for a roof over your head? You are lucky enough to be able to afford a roof over your heads comparing yourself to those whom don't even have one.

Get a life people...

2015-01-01 05:40

Post #137,

If you are disappointed with MND and HDB, then i suggest you don't even buy flats from them. Get a private. Got swimming pool, tennis court and many private facilities that you yearn for. 

In HDB i am sorry to say dude, no such things. If HDB near a school that is not branded kpkb, if HDB not near mrt kpkb, if HDB not near a shopping center kpkb, if HDB not near a nice park with a nice river kpkb again. 

Is that what young people are thinking these days?i believe so. Money is the first as resale value comes in. Then comes "eeeyeer i dun want to live with the dead"..hello you are not staying in a columbarium mind u. Thirdly act holy say fengshui no good this and that. Put up ur hands,how many got spend thousands of dollars to engage fengshui master to come see your flat. If have the fengshui master say columbarium good fengshui for this area, will you all lan lan accept?

Maybe i am talking rubbish but i guess this is the facts we are looking at.

reconsider PAP

2015-01-01 05:50

Dear Govt

Can you advise what going to be built next to it if govt still push the plans through without considersate sengkang people voice...

Should the columbarium is ready, will PAP hold speech rally site next to it for the coming 2016 polling ?

We shall be getting our key in 2016, lush Arces...what a disappointment

2015-01-01 06:51

I support post#137 & 209. I tulan & lan lan now. 2nd quarter get key at rivergoove 2 block away from it

#211 Re:

2015-01-01 07:31

#208: -  

#208,

Are you one of the distributors of the niches in this columbarium ? I know that one of them is in another forum trying to recruit pp who want to make money at the expense of the unfortunate residents of sengkang west.  That may explain why you callously dismissed the fears of those who are badly affected by this. Instead of showing empathy, you jumped to the conclusion that it' s all about the resale value. You also seem to be implying that people who can only afford hdb must learn to accept their circumstances in life - including having to stay near a columbarium for the rest of their life.

Mr Khaw Boon Wan just mentioned that 60% of people stay in the first home they buy. So  it's not all about resale value. 

Future Fernvale resident

#212 Re: Re:

2015-01-01 07:59

#211: - Re:  

We shall see how strong our mp dr lam le.

Dr lam, ur ist task to take on the hdb/ura

Anonymous

2015-01-01 08:02

Under the master plan, place of worship indicate church, mosque and temple only, and not cemetery which is meant for cemetary, crematorium and columbarium. There is no information stating that the place of worship can be a combination of temple and columbarium as an ancillary use. 

https://www.ura.gov.sg/maps/MPWS_2014_for_map_legend.htm#a16

Anonymous

2015-01-01 08:08

Please explain why the information is only given in the sales brochure but not the URA website. 

Please Act...

2015-01-01 08:19

Dear MP lam,

Hope you're not "NATO" Please do something seriously & do it to prove that you as an MP shall act for your SMC. Remember the last elect, whereas sengkang ppl had trusted you ! Look new member resident shall be joining into your SMC, included me. We want to had someone able to provide solutions rather then telling ppl to accept !

Please advise HDB/URA to reconsider this...

A Temple mean a temple, not a "columbarium"

2015-01-01 08:26

I am not one of them fyi.

I am just like anyone of you guys staying in a bto flat and fyi mine is just near a columbarium anyways and have been happily staying here for the past 30plus years. Am i unfortunate? Personally i dont think so. At least i have a roof over my head. 

If you read the straitstimes, the term resale value was brought up as the first concern isnt it? Such reason if u true wont even be published out.

Everyone is saying how gracious you are here and there. So are we looking at the circumstances now?

Yes. HDB states that 60% stays at their first place of residences. 60% of what generation? Gen x, y or the generation now? I believe it is the pioneer generation and the older people whom have been staying there for so many years and refuse to move though they have every capability to upgrade. My family and some of  lose friends are such example. We have grown so much attached and used to this area. 

My idealogy is not about those staying in hdb can only resign to their fate. What i am implying is the younger society are being too pampered and complain at everything that does not goes their ways isnt it?

I have friends whom got a unit at the said area as well fyi. Mixed feelings too. So i am not against anything but as like what i have said look at the bigger picture guys and be glad that we are far much more better than the rest of the unfortunate humanity in the world..

2015-01-01 08:30

Columbarium within a residential area is definitely ridiculous. Unacceptable.

#218 Re:

2015-01-01 08:51

#216: -  

"I am just like anyone of you guys staying in a bto flat and fyi mine is just near a columbarium anyways and have been happily staying here for the past 30plus years."

Sorry Pls advise which BTO came building with and/or near a columbarian 30 years back !

2015-01-01 08:59

Taken from Life Corporation's webpage  ( www.cygienics.com

Life Corporation through its wholly owned SFS Care Group in Singapore operates a full suite of premium funeral services with personalised planning and organisation of funeral ceremonies for Singapore's multi religious and ethnic customer base. SFS Care Group pioneering one-stop full suite service model of premium funeral services includes funeral event advisory, venue management, certified embalming care, casket sales, faciliatation of cremation and burials, conducting of funeral rites and ceremoney services and along with other ancillary services.

In 2013, we (Cordlife Pte Ltd) re-established ourselves as Life Corporation Pte Ltd as we sold away our cord blood business and entered a relatively untapped market : Funeral Services

In July 2014,  LFC announced its successful tender of a leasehold land in Singapore for the construction of a Chinese temple with columbarium niche storage faciltiy. The land lease acquired is a strategic move as LFC strives to expand its presence in the enlarged bereavement business in Singapore with the columbarium facility.

Comments : 

LFC paid  S$5.2 million for this land. It is a commercial entity. It must make money from this venture. Its sole business is funeral services, not temple management. We don't even know if the 80% space set aside for temple will be for normal temple services or only for services to the dead.

Knowing that chanting services for the dead are being conducted in a building very near to you  practically every day of your life can be unnerving. This is very different from a normal temple or church that may have columbarium attached. 

PM talked about people in many countries feeling angst, anxiety and despondency about the future, but that in Singapore, we can have a well-founded confidence about our future. Can we? Can the future residents of Fernvale Lea and Fernvale Rivergrove? Mr Khaw Boon Wan promised to make all HDB towns endearing estates. Are FL and FR going to be exceptions? 

I hope Dr Lam Pin Min can get HDB to rescind this tender and offer LFC another piece of land away from any housing estate in Singapore for their new business venture and that he can draw on support from our PM too.  It will be a great Jubilee Year gift for the people of Singapore if we can see our leaders showing through their actions  that they really care about  the citizens and that all they've talked about isn't just talk. The Year of Jubilee shouldn't be just about celebrating the past 50 years with no regards for the future.  The future matters more than the past.   How HDB, URA and our leaders handle this issue will tell us a lot about what to  expect for the future. It won't affect the residents of Sengkang alone but also future applicants of HDB flats and even Singaporeans in general.  

2015-01-01 09:17

I support post #102.

Puat Jit Buddhist Temple in Anchorvale and Church of St Francis Xavier in Serangoon Gardens also have columbariums, they are run by religious organisations purely for religious purpose only with a small area for columbarium. 

Life Corp is a commercial enterprise running a funeral business. It's motive of tendering the land to build a temple is questionable in the first place. It is a commercial enterprise and return on investment will be its main concern. In fact their CEO had said that they will use the place to run funeral services. The question is whether HDB has any by-laws to forbid this undertaker to operate any funeral business and activities in the building except columbarium.

2015-01-01 09:52

Nice building but I don't want it, let's see if Mr.Lam is worth our vote next year.
Reconsider PAP

2015-01-01 10:21

Dear Resident / Voters of coming GEs... / Previous supportor of the voted party...

What the previous voters get themself & future resident of sengkang west, an "LING TANG"

Our govt is putting up an approved "LING TANG" for fernvale resident at sengkang West.

Right in the heart of a our dream home.... OMG

How can HDB approved such project even without seeking the resident thoughts....

Wake Up

2015-01-01 12:03

Clever of most of you to support one party previoulsy.

With that party around, no one can expect to have any peace in Singapore, not even the dead. 

After the consultation on 4 Jan, they will just find some way to convince the public that the residents have come to terms with it. 

Business starts to roll in for th PRC company and all of you staying will have the covenience of sweeping tombs right at your doorstep!

Your MP is defending the project on behalf of the company. What's in it for him? 

2015-01-01 12:12

I can just imagine one silly public figure trying to fool the residents by telling them that as tradeoff they will get priority booking for the columbarium and it makes it all so much easier for their children to pay them a visit next time. Also easier for them to visit the children as well.

Truth is, even if some royal family of mentor minister and his whole family is buried there, nobody sane will even want to go near that unclean place. 

2015-01-01 12:29

Support post 222. I waited for 3 yrs plus for my dream home to come true at rivergroove, but u HDB/URA destroy my dream home within 1 day after the new was released. Tolong Tolong, consider to relocate to other place.