Help The Recovery of the Wye Salmon

Quoted post

2015-01-01 11:49

As the leader of a syndicate of 75 plus members regularly fishing the river Wye, I am 100% in favour of this petition and give it my unconditional support, as do my membership. NRW and the UWF should be supporting the angling fraternity and taking whatever steps are necessary to improve and increase Salmon stocks in the river, not putting obstacles in the way of those who are attempting to do so. If the Wye is an 'at risk river' why risk it further by closing the hatcheries?

Replies

#13 Re:

2015-01-02 13:04:00

#1: -  

RokMax

#39 Re:

2015-01-04 16:34:12

Here here! - I have fished the Wye for a number of years and seen the relentless decline of a once great fishery. It's recovery will ultimately be realised by the collective effect of a number of initiatives and keeping the hatchery operative must surely play its part. Please keep them open. 

Geordie Rod

#79 Re:

2015-02-26 21:44:40

Observations of spawning on the North Tyne and elsewhere blows the theory of the fallacy that salmon mate with a chosen female.On the redds it is a gang bang with many males fertilising the females so much for genetic integrity; even very small fish get involved.

As everyone can see stocking doesn't work on the River Tyne!!!!! Even the devious methods the EA have used to nullify the effects of the success of Kielder Hatchery by tagging only one fish in twenty or even more. Drop the stocking at Kielder and the Tyne will soon see its runs dwindle away.

The fish reared from Kielder Hatchery are top class fish fit enough to get to Greenland and back.

It is about time that all salmon anglers should be demanding a better deal from the EA, DEFRA ETC and all the other ineffective organisations and quangoes that get in the way of improving fish stocks in our rivers.

If we continue to alllow these people to manage OUR rivers the way they do we'll have nothing to fish for.