Save GCC from CRT

Quoted post

2021-11-14 20:42

You know what I realized about petitions is that they are very one sided. Wouldn't a petition that offers dissenters an opportunity to sign against be interesting? Like a vote I suppose? I mean, I would love to see how many of us would NOT sign this piece of garbage. In any case, I have to say this sounds like a bunch of homeschooling parents who sent their kids to GCC in the hopes of shielding them from any ideas that may challenge them to actually think for themselves. There seem to be a lot of parents here afraid that God's truth cannot triumph and that they must control what their children hear. CRT is a good bogeyman because it is a complex academic THEORY at the graduate level. This means it is difficult for the average person - even the average GCC graduate - to fully understand. And clearly based on what I've seen in this petition no effort was made to understand. In an attempt to respond to this petition, I tried to understand some of the assertions made like "Critical Race Theory rejects the correspondence view of truth and thus undermines a biblical view of learning." Huh? So off I went to try and figure out what that is supposed to mean. From what I learned, a correspondence view of truth says that we label certain beliefs as true because they correspond to those facts about the world. So the sky is blue belief is true because the sky is blue. But correct me if I'm wrong but don't Christians believe a bunch of stuff that DOESN'T correspond to facts about the world? Namely and most critically that a God/Man saved us from sin by rising from the dead? It was at that point I realized that they were definitely spewing a bunch of stuff they heard that sounded good but they didn't actually understand themselves. I still wish there was an opposing petition for those of us who think that as Christians we have nothing to fear. Who don't believe in trying to discredit a brother in Christ by slapping him with the latest fear mongering label. I took the time to listen to Jemar Tisby's chapel talk. He clearly states his belief in the salvific work of Jesus on the cross. As Christians we aren't always going to agree on issues that are not central to the gospel. You can try and make some sort of wordy statement that makes it seem like this should be an issue for us as Christians but you have only revealed yourself as someone enslaved to the political agenda of our day instead of a free brother or sister in the Lord.

Replies

Joe

#5 Re:

2021-12-08 15:15:17

#2: -  

Actually historic confessional Christianity affirms that the dual nature of Christ as laid out in the chalcedonian definition accurately corresponds to an actual real person who has a fully divine and fully human nature, the Second person of the Trinity. Furthermore, according the Nicene Creed, we actually believe that this person really died on the cross for the sins of the elect and physically rose from the dead and ascended into heaven as an actual historical event. We don't believe that this is a myth or a metaphor but that it corresponds to actual states of affairs and truths about the world that really happened...if you don't believe those things correspond to actual facts/truths that really exist or happened then by definition you are not a Christian. You literally chose an example that logically defeats your own assertion. Well done.