Save GCC from CRT

Save GCC from CRT / Announcements / Petition Deadline Extended until 11/12/2021 at 11pm / Comments

2021-11-12 16:10

You seem to be under the same zeitgeist as the people you claim to be saving GCC from. I'd offer that your petition contains misleading and false information, but it seems that doesn't really matter. What sort of Christianity are you trying to save when you're priority is to file petitions before asking questions and getting answers? How is CRT a bigger threat than the members of the Church brazenly and proudly violating both Matthew 18 and the 9th Commandment? You charge an institution and specific people with crimes publicly before ever asking a question and demand they change behavior. This is not good faith behavior and it certainly is not befitting of the Church. GCC does not and has not advocated CRT even as it tries to engage the question of race in America. If you took the time to listen charitably, offer and received nuanced views, and assume the best of those you claim to love... you'd be following the example of Christ. Instead, you seem to be following the same viciousness as Tucker Carlson, Rachel Maddow, and others who peddle anger and outrage to hide their own sins. I'd like you to commit to removing this petition when you receive evidence that what you're claiming doesn't happen on campus. Otherwise, you're the worst sort of hypocrite. Perhaps you can learn humility in your own behavior before demanding it from others.

2021-11-14 20:42

You know what I realized about petitions is that they are very one sided. Wouldn't a petition that offers dissenters an opportunity to sign against be interesting? Like a vote I suppose? I mean, I would love to see how many of us would NOT sign this piece of garbage. In any case, I have to say this sounds like a bunch of homeschooling parents who sent their kids to GCC in the hopes of shielding them from any ideas that may challenge them to actually think for themselves. There seem to be a lot of parents here afraid that God's truth cannot triumph and that they must control what their children hear. CRT is a good bogeyman because it is a complex academic THEORY at the graduate level. This means it is difficult for the average person - even the average GCC graduate - to fully understand. And clearly based on what I've seen in this petition no effort was made to understand. In an attempt to respond to this petition, I tried to understand some of the assertions made like "Critical Race Theory rejects the correspondence view of truth and thus undermines a biblical view of learning." Huh? So off I went to try and figure out what that is supposed to mean. From what I learned, a correspondence view of truth says that we label certain beliefs as true because they correspond to those facts about the world. So the sky is blue belief is true because the sky is blue. But correct me if I'm wrong but don't Christians believe a bunch of stuff that DOESN'T correspond to facts about the world? Namely and most critically that a God/Man saved us from sin by rising from the dead? It was at that point I realized that they were definitely spewing a bunch of stuff they heard that sounded good but they didn't actually understand themselves. I still wish there was an opposing petition for those of us who think that as Christians we have nothing to fear. Who don't believe in trying to discredit a brother in Christ by slapping him with the latest fear mongering label. I took the time to listen to Jemar Tisby's chapel talk. He clearly states his belief in the salvific work of Jesus on the cross. As Christians we aren't always going to agree on issues that are not central to the gospel. You can try and make some sort of wordy statement that makes it seem like this should be an issue for us as Christians but you have only revealed yourself as someone enslaved to the political agenda of our day instead of a free brother or sister in the Lord.

2021-11-15 22:40

Dear Authors and Supporters of the “Save GCC from CRT” Petition,

As a current student, I chose Grove City College to challenge myself. I wanted to grow deeper in faith and explore just how I want to serve God and others throughout my life. My family upholds the value of education so much that they were willing to make enormous financial sacrifices to send me to this college.

Critical Race Theory has become such a hot-topic issue that there are so many ways to define it and shape it in a way that best reflects your beliefs. So that’s pretty much what I am going to do in this letter to make a case for Grove City College’s efforts in the past few years.

Based on my experience, I do not believe that Grove City College is teaching Critical Race Theory. The result of figuring out how to restore broken relationships and systems according to a Christian worldview may naturally seem to blend with certain ideas from Critical Race Theory – a theory that seeks to restore broken relationships and systems. For example, take the chapel talk this semester that included Bryan Stevenson’s TED Talk about his work and its relationship to mercy. I hope we can agree that Stevenson’s work of justice for inmates on death row is good. Just because the mainstream definition includes some distasteful ideas does not mean we should ignore anything that Critical Race Theory presents. The recognition that racism still exists and that it was not that long ago in our nation’s history when there were clearly and blatantly racist laws might be a good common place to start with those that disagree with us, along with developing authentic relationships with people who are different from us.

From how you presented Critical Race Theory (CRT), there are several ideas that I agree would be damaging to the vision of a united Church and run contrary to a biblical worldview. The first is the permanent categorization of oppressors and the oppressed. According to psychological principles, the labels we give to people lead them to be more likely to act in ways that align with those labels. This process leads down the path of group polarization and the idea of perspective divergence – that of which group distinction not only leads us to recognize our differences, but also believe that our differences are superior to the other group. Christ had a vision that brought both sides of the social order (government/subject, master/servant, husband/wife) together through equal submission to each other. I believe that in every human interaction, you could label the oppressor and the oppressed based on who dominates the conversation, who has the greatest financial leverage, who has the most amount of public recognition, and several more factors. Yes, we share the image of God and of course we all have intrinsic value, but every time we deny this in ourselves or our neighbor, we break the peace and are thereby accountable to God for those actions. And we are called to reconcile these relationships.

I also agree that judging others solely by outward appearance is not biblically sound. A Christian worldview ought to be one that strives for relationships with other people, especially with those whom with we disagree, so that we can work our problems out more directly and healthily. In most cases, it is God’s job to judge and our job to love.

Thank you for clarifying that you are concerned about repentance for racism where it exists. I think that is ultimately what Grove City College is trying to teach through its efforts recently. Unfortunately, many people in the world have been falsely convicted and unbiblically indicted simply because of their skin color. I think that is easy to see that when we look at criminal and incarceration statistics, ICE encounters, lynching, drug laws, and United States history. I have not experienced instances where students on this campus have experienced these, but I too would be concerned if they were to happen.

I had mentioned that there may be similarities between a Christian worldview and CRT when it comes to thinking about racial reconciliation or church unity. You had mentioned that “according to CRT, all of society is infected with intrinsic (structural) racism that favors Whites and oppresses Blacks and other minorities.” Here at Grove City College, they teach the concept of original sin as truth, which states that all of creation is untouched by sin. If we both acknowledge that racism is a sin, and that racism is defined as “prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized,” then there seems to be no disagreement between the Christian worldview and CRT on this topic.

In my exploration of CRT so far, I have not come across Standpoint Epistemology, which according to your petition, says “truth is determined solely from the standpoint of the oppressed.” To add a tiny bit of humor, that statement is true only if you put it in the context of Jesus, who was experiencing oppression during his crucifixion. I don’t believe that truth is determined solely from the standpoint of the oppressed, and I don’t believe the professors at Grove City College would teach that either. But as Christians, it is our responsibility to share and care for the poor, so often, truth looks like siding with the most destitute on this earth and caring for their needs.

Another similarity that CRT has with a Christian worldview is the idea of a “new society.” Your point less referenced the technical definition of CRT and more to a cultural embodiment of it. But I think CRT does aim for a society that is fairer and just. Likewise, we Christians have a vision of God’s Kingdom (Lord’s Prayer). Depending on your faith background, you may have different ideas for how we relate to that Kingdom. Nevertheless, a new society is echoed in both - a problem that may have resulted from an inactive Church culture that doesn’t reflect such an alternative society grounded in love, truth, and justice.

You had also mentioned that according to a Christian worldview, “ultimate reality is immaterial, namely, a personal God who created the material world,” and “the physical world can be known, but so can non-physical things like morals, human nature, and the laws of logic.” I wholeheartedly agree with these statements. I do not believe that Grove City College would compromise these in their efforts to address racial injustice.

I, too, desire the Church to be a united force in the world, affirming the objective truth and condemning sin (whatever disturbs shalom) in the world. We have a responsibility as Christians to do this, reflecting God’s glory and Jesus’s vision for the Church. I believe that Grove City College is enabling students exceptionally well enough to enter the world ready to do these things. Part of loving God and loving our neighbor, though, involve thinking about how to love them in the world that we live in. Do I believe that CRT should be taught at Grove City College as you have presented it? Not really. And I don't think that they are. But I do think that learning about laws and history that infringe/have infringed on another’s right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness is important to address issues at the root.  

In Love, A Grove City College Student

#4 Re:

2021-11-15 23:57

#3: -  

I think you mean total depravity, not original sin...

Joe

#5 Re:

2021-12-08 15:15

#2: -  

Actually historic confessional Christianity affirms that the dual nature of Christ as laid out in the chalcedonian definition accurately corresponds to an actual real person who has a fully divine and fully human nature, the Second person of the Trinity. Furthermore, according the Nicene Creed, we actually believe that this person really died on the cross for the sins of the elect and physically rose from the dead and ascended into heaven as an actual historical event. We don't believe that this is a myth or a metaphor but that it corresponds to actual states of affairs and truths about the world that really happened...if you don't believe those things correspond to actual facts/truths that really exist or happened then by definition you are not a Christian. You literally chose an example that logically defeats your own assertion. Well done. 

Joe

#6 Re:

2021-12-08 15:19

#3: -  

Nice reply. Thanks for sharing. 

Joe

#7 Re:

2021-12-08 16:27

#1: -  

Questions were asked and not answered. That's why the petition was made in the first place. Specific examples were listed in the petition and in a response to McNulty more specific examples were listed. If you have information disproving the specific examples listed (Testimony from RAs, texts for different classes,etc...) then produce them. If not then the 9th commandment does not apply. Matthew 18 is dealing with interpersonal conflict in the local church (going to the elders, the church, etc...). GCC is not a church, it's a privately funded school supported by private donors and tuition. The people paying the bills have a right to question the administration. Hiding behind a Bible verse taken out of its original context to avoid any public criticism for public acts (chapel messages, courses, etc...) is at best weak and at worst disingenuous. I actually didn't sign this petition but I am finding reactions such as this highly educational of the kind of alumni GCC produces. 

#8 Re: Re:

2021-12-12 23:39

#7: Joe - Re:  

Speaking of disingenuous, here you are. I'm amused that you seem to think the 9th commandment isn't in play if no one refutes you. I assure you, it is a proactive command and regardless of whether or not anyone corrects you, you will be held accountable for your words and mischaracterizations. The more I read this petition and it's responses, the more comfortable I am dismissing it and treating it unseriously. There are many misleading framings to this petition's complaints and not really any attempt to inquire with any meaningful charity or intellectual integrity. For example, citing a parent of an RA when I know that specific RA did not sign or endorse this petition. I could go on all day, but it's a rather wasted effort. I seem to recall some parable and swine and pearls. If the signers of this petition have a level of engagement that only perks at this sort of nonsense, it isn't surprising they have no real sense of what happens at GCC.