Petition for a Balanced Calendar in Cobb Schools

Quoted post

One for Compromise

2012-01-16 19:17

I concur. Morgan, Eagle and Banks are still there. And the traditional Calendar proceeded by a 4-3 vote. And only Angelucci campaigned with the traditional calendar as a platform issue. So it's by no means a landslide.

Next Fall, there will be an election that WILL be a referendum on the Balanced Calendar vs. the Traditional Calendar- among other issues. And the Balanced Calendar is very popular. That means that the voters will look at that issue and vote- not just vote because they are voting for the (R) or (D) behind their names.

Given that fact, I believe that it will be 4-3 in FAVOR of the balanced calendar after the election. And there will be ANOTHER vote to reinstate the balanced calendar.

Why go through all of that? Let's fix it so where BOTH sides can get a little of what they want. If you want the school year to start late, fine. Therefore, White Water and Six Flags can make their money and revenues to Cobb County will not be adversely affected. If you need breaks during the year, let's have those breaks- after the first 9 weeks, in October. You can still get good deals on cruises, vacation destinations and Disney World would still have that "Free Dining Plan" going on.

And for those who have kids who are special needs and need continuity, they can have that continuity AND still have breaks.

I honestly don't see a down side to the compromise.

Replies

#167 Re:

2012-01-16 19:27:37

#166: One for Compromise -

Re:

"Next Fall, there will be an election that WILL be a referendum on the Balanced Calendar vs. the Traditional Calendar....,

Given that fact, I believe that it will be 4-3 in FAVOR of the balanced calendar after the election. And there will be ANOTHER vote to reinstate the balanced calendar."

- This is not a fact.  This is your opinion.  Many people viewed the LAST election as a referendum.  That is one of the reasons why John, John, and Holli are no longer on the board, and no one supporting the August 1 calendar was elected.

- Since the election is in November, there will be no change in the vote on the calendar next Fall unless one of the existing board members changes their vote.

- Since the community requested (and I believe the board concured) to no longer make changes to the calendar less than 1 year before a published calendar begins, a potentially new board supporting an August 1 date calendar wouldn't vote till late 1/13 for a calendar that would start 1/14.