Petition for a Balanced Calendar in Cobb Schools

Quoted post

Warrior girl

#345 Re: Look at Tax Revenue in Sept and Feb

2012-01-24 17:48

#15: Drop the issue - Look at Tax Revenue in Sept and Feb 

Other states still have the orginal agraian calendar (Sept. thru June)because for some of them it is still a huge part of daily life. Those states also have enormous amounts of snow on the ground that they combat each year, so they have to make up missed time in June.  Last year was a freak occurance for Georgia, will that happen again this year, no probably not.  I personally enjoyed the new calendar after I experienced it, and what is most important it really helped my children through the school year. Their stress was lowered their performance improved, overall health and well being was at an all time high. As a parent that is my greatest concern as it should be for all parents. Test scores were up absences were down. I am afraid for this year the long stretch to spring break has always been bad except for last year.

Boy Scout Jamboree is not my greatest concern unless it is apart of the CRCT, then I will care.  Summer enrichment does start in May here in Georgia, and if you are going out of state for it than you are technically the minority.  Lucky East Cobb Families who get to travel on beautiful vacations, but here  in North Cobb lots of us were home.  Does one week of not being at the grocery store or gas station make that much of a difference? Do we not make it up in August when we are home? Money is money after all, in the hands of our board always poorly spent.  This past holiday break was horrible, that schedule is horrendous. 

Replies

#349 Re: Re: Look at Tax Revenue in Sept and Feb

2012-01-25 15:52:50

#345: Warrior girl - Re: Look at Tax Revenue in Sept and Feb

Absences increased significantly at a number of schools.

"Boy Scout Jamboree is not my.."

- I guess the original poster has to spell things out a little bit more for some people.

School is a small part of learning.  Jamborees, girl scout activities, summer jobs, sports camps, honors camps, travel within the state, travel abroad, day camps, church programs, etc.  are all important parts of learning/growing.

Over 96% of the students in the country (and 96+% of students in Georgia) are on a later start date school schedule.  Hence, the activities noted above are built with this schedule in mind.

It doesn't make sense to undermine Cobb County children's opportunity to participate in these programs by adopting a calendar that starts August 1.

"Lucky east Cobb families..."

- I didn't realize that there was a magic luckiness line in the county.  Where is the boundary between the lucky east cobb folks and unlucky north cobb folks?  Is it Sandy Plains Road?

This past holiday was terrific, with the offset of days into January, we were able to use points for 100% of airfare and hotels - never been able to do that before.