We, the citizens of Bandera County and other concerned citizens do not want a Dollar General Store located at the entrance of the Flying L Resort and community, at the intersection of the 173 and Whartons Dock Road. We ask that our elected officials impress upon Dollar General the strong dissatisfaction and opposition of the people to this proposed site. We ask Dollar General to recognize they are not welcome in this location.
Our appeal addresses some of the reasons we do not want a Dollar General in this location.
1. Right now, we have too many Dollar Generals within the vicinity of Bandera. We are concerned this one will oversaturate the community and will eventually fail and be boarded up, leaving an unsightly and decaying property right across from an established and well cared for development and resort.
2. Data has shown the detrimental affects of Dollar General Stores on the locally owned businesses that supply much of the same goods. For example, small rural communities have lost their one and only grocery store due to DG pushing out competitors. We do not want to lose our Lowes or our other beloved Bandera shops!
3. Data and police records have also shown that these stores attract more crime and their parking lots are often used for criminal activity.
4. Traffic along the 173 is already heavy and with the intersection of Wharton's Dock Road- we have serious concerns about traffic safety.
5. The light and noise pollution from this type of store will completely ruin our quiet, dark sky environment and will cause residents who border that location to be subject to noise and bright lights.