Right to use sign language in educational programmes

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Right to use sign language in educational programmes.

Debb Lovett

#76 Sign Language gives life to Deaf people

2010-09-22 05:19

Sign Language gives us the life that we, Deaf people, are able to lead our life to full with happiness. Especially for Deaf children to use sign language at schools. Sign language is so clever language by just use the hands and facial expression to make communications full.

Lisa Euler

#77 Individuals Rights!

2010-09-22 05:27

How long is this going to continue?  We as Deaf individuals have every rights as any hearing person for the right to communicate in the outside world (hearing world).  Lack of awareness and understanding of our history, culture and language is beyond me, this has been going on for centuries!

Who has the right to assume our rights?  Do they know what deaf is, do they live in it?  No!  Bascially they have no right to claim what is right or what is best for us, assuming they know what is best, but this personally is taking away the Deaf people's independants.  I've been signing since childhood without my hearing parents knowledge (both are hearing) assuming what's best for me, WRONG!  They have realise now that is not the case.  I'm proud to say am DEAF and am Auslan user plus a teacher, and if I didn't have Deaf people's support while growing up, I wouldn't be where I am today.  Being surrounded by Deaf people during my growing up years, brought my education and knowledge in my life, has been the best journey to find who I am, I have found my Deaf Identity and proud of the fact this is who I am.

I have been hell and back and I'm not surrendering my hard earn journey, am Teacher of Auslan, and I make sure my students respect my language as much as I respect them as a individuals.  We need to stand up for our Deaf Education and more!

Janne Bidenko

#78 Public Officer, DeafBlind Association (NSW

2010-09-22 05:28

Sign language in Australia (Auslan) is a recognised complete language, as are the sign languages in other countries such as BSL and ASL in UK and USA, and as such must be recognised and encouraged by all countries.  Any attempt to reduce the use of anyone's language is a Human Rights abuse and is not to be tolerated.

mal casey

#79 how long ?

2010-09-22 05:42

long overdue ! how long has this been going on for ?. how long can goverments ignore this or use funding as an excuse ? how long are institutions going to ignore Deaf peoples viewpoints ?

How can we set an example in modern society by saying we are multi racial and multi cultural societies when we do not even fully include our own Deaf people or our own minority languages

these exclusion policies have to stop !

A.S. NARAYANAN

#80 sign language in education for the deaf in India

2010-09-22 06:00

Dear  Sir/Madam

I am  a Secretary of National Association of the Deaf,India. Many years back, Deaf School forced deaf students oral communication. but some of students can understand but other students can not understand what teachers teach them oral. without use of sign language,

when they grow after 10th class. they are not qualify of life. I am sad that deaf person have been illiterate and can not read and write. now this year, we need to support for deaf students can learn use of sign language through communication, they will get to qualify of life in future.

Stacy Zottman

#81 Its International Week of the Deaf.........

2010-09-22 06:05

Please take the short amount of time it takes to sign this amazing life changing petition. Sign Language should never of been banned......only encouraged and recognized as a Language.

Melisa Hunter

2010-09-22 06:09

Sign language is a language in our home!

Julie Ford

#83 EMPOWERMENT

2010-09-22 06:54

Everyone has the right to an accessible education.  Education empowers people.  It can change the world.

Everyone has the right to their language. It is central to identity, culture, and self esteem.  It enables children to grow into adults and take a place in the world.  

Rachel Mazique, Miss Deaf America Ambassador

#84 Accord for the Future: Technology

2010-09-22 06:59

As we strive to preserve, protect, and promote our human, civil, and linguistic right to sign languages around the world, we need to identify our rights to technologies which support our sign languages in interactions with eachother as well as with hearing people.

Hence, as we reject the resolutions at the 1880 ICED conference, which removed sign language and promoted oralism, we need to consider the use of aural technologies associated with deafness. What visual technologies belong to the signing Deaf and promote our right to our sign languages?  

Pat Drummond

#85 Sign & Education

2010-09-22 07:03

In Australia the cochlear implant has become so popular that a medical view of deafness is being reinforced. Petitions like this I hope will make people realise that there is a great need for sign language in education even if the child has a cochlear. How much better is it for a child to begin life with a language (sign) than spend hours and hours learning to speak.

Jacqueline Baez

#86 Deaf Mentor Project

2010-09-22 07:56

• increase the family's ability to successfully communicate with their deaf child through sign language.
• provide parents with opportunities to identify their child's subtle communication attempts and to evaluate their child's strengths in communicating.
• increase parent's appreciation for and understanding of American Sign Language (ASL), Deaf Culture, and the Deaf Community.
• support the child's development of language, communication, and self-identity through use of American Sign Language and the ability to interact with a Deaf adult role model.

PRISCILLA PETERS

#87 MY RIGHT TO USE SIGN LANGUAGE IN EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMMES

2010-09-22 08:42

I signed a petition over my right to use sign language in educational programmes, where all deaf people needs to learn their language skills with using a better sign language with people who will understand what they mean to deaf people. Thank you very much.

Chelle Dest

#88 Signing rights for Deaf in Education

2010-09-22 09:23

YES!!! Whats the absurd idea that Milan and other countries want to keep the silly old law to stop us from being able to know what is going on??? That is DISCRIMINATION at its worst!!!!!!!! We all live in ONE WORLD and we all have every right to know and understand what is being said around the place and in education!! WHY Do we have education??? SO WE CAN LEARN TO LIVE LIFE IN THE WORLD!!! We Deaf people can't help if we are born Deaf!!!!! Hearing people get it easier in that they can hear anything, and we have accomodated for them for so long, what about us Deaf people?????? MAKE THE EFFORT TO MAKE SURE WE GET GOOD EDUCATIONS! Thank you!!!

Sandra Keir

2010-09-22 09:29

I teach First Aid Classes to Deaf and Hearing Impaired

It is important to get the message over to them in their own language.

I totally support sign language in educational programmes.

Anita Gardner

#90 deaf people please stand up for your rights!

2010-09-22 09:36

I have seen in my experience as a hearing person who has decided to work for deaf people, a lot of hearing leaders think like hearing people and apply hearing strategies for deaf people and this is not right.This is really lack of respect for deaf people.They sometimes get deaf people to agree to theses ideas.Where are the deaf people in Italy are they not fighting?They should stand up for their rights.The next thing they will be forced to have operations and lord knows what else!

Rosemary W Diaz

#91 Tears of pride

2010-09-22 10:10

Reading the ICED resolution brought tears of pride to my eyes. I like all of it yet one part had the biggest impact on me was the last line about our right to be proud, to Be involved. Be creative. What a profound and empowering statement!
Bruce Muller

#92 Retired

2010-09-22 10:42

I am very much frustrated at the number of the Deaf who are very poor at the language of his/her country. Too much has been concentrated on speech and hearing improvement at the expense of good language.
Jose Sales

2010-09-22 10:45

Deaf children should learn sign language too while learning how to speak. This way, it will give them broader understanding and quick learning privileges.

Donovan Cresdee

#94 ICED - A New Era: Deaf Participation and Collaboration

2010-09-22 10:57

"Signed Languages in the context of Deaf education will be restored to all their former glory".

Dr Donovan V. Cresdee, 24th July 2010.

Bo Bo Kyaing

#95 Yangon Deaf Association

2010-09-22 12:44

PROFORMA HISTORYOF ASSOCIATION

-       Some deaf persons regularly meet everySunday at Yangon Y.M.C.A .

-       World Vision(Myanmar) commensed the monthlymeeting on 17 Jan 2002,,It processed up till now as of executive committee

meeting. It prescribed theimportant resolutions regularly. The 15th meeting was held on(12/May).

-       The 4th meeting laid down the 8– objectives of Yangon Deaf Association.

-       U Nay Myo Naing, U Ye Win Tun, U NaingNaing Kyaw and U Win Zaw met with "National Association of the Deaf in Thailand (Siam)"

on Sept? as first time.

-       U Nay Myo Naing, Naw Moe Thu Zar, U KyawLinn Thant and U Mg Mg Lay discuss with "National Association of the Deaf in Thailand

(Siam)" and discussed for "Election"for on Dec/2002.

-       Hold the election of Yangon Deaf AssociationSponsored by "National Association of the Deaf in Thailand(Siam).The 290 – Deaf

persons attended and elected the Association Leader.

-       Laid down the establishment andresponsibilities for Yangon Deaf Associationby the 11th meeting hold on Jan/2003.

-       Prescribed the logo of association by 12thmeeting, hold on Feb/2003. Attended the meeting 2 – representative from Mandalay.

-       2003 December 19 – 23 JFD and NADT meetingto YDA , Association Progress and Future Prospectus Observe.

Bianca Lebziz

#96 Please sign this petition

2010-09-22 13:00

Communicate through Hands, without we are nothing.

Olga Antoinette Christopoulos

2010-09-22 13:12

La lingua dei segni è la cultura dei sordi per natura.

Rachel Sulemanu

#98 The Sign language

2010-09-22 13:45

I am a deaf lady named Rachel Yaapoka Sulemanu from Ghana, who is the founder of Deaf Hope Community School at the new site at Kasoa in the Central Region part of Ghana. We intended to assist deaf and hard of hearing children in the community to acquire basic pre-school through primary school education including some programs such as vocational classes, library, computer class and science lab in school. Without the assistance of the sign language for children, our work will be vain and they will not be able to communicate effectively and to acheive their goals in the future. So therefore we support the use of the sign language for deaf and hard of hearing children in education.

Larisa Pyatkina

#99 Right to use sign language in educational programmes

2010-09-22 14:33

Let's all support each other, the force in the union .. language of the deaf has been and will be.

Tissa Peiris

#100 Deaf education

2010-09-22 14:34

As for teaching ASL at the English Language Institute at Gallaudet University for 24 years, we are finding that the use of sign language is beneficial in helping International Deaf and Hard of Hearing students build their skills in English and other languages.