Save the CNA

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save the CNA.

2014-08-27 15:26

People signed up for clinicals to take clinicals not to sit at a desk

2014-08-27 15:27

People signed up to go to the hospital, y'all can't change it 15 days into school. It's ridiculous. Most people take it to become a CNA, and get experience in the hospital. It you don't have that there isn't a point to have a Heath care pathway.

2014-08-27 15:29

People have signed up for this class to become a CNA, so why take that away. Without being able to become a CNA, what's the point of taking the class? I signed up for intro to health care so I could be in the clinical class my senior year and later become a CNA. Now that students are no longer able to become a CNA, they will not want to take the class their senior year. Without this class, students will have to pay hundreds of dollars as opposed to much cheaper.

2014-08-27 15:40

Clinical was the best experience I ever had in highschool! It aided in solidifying my career plans by allowing me to work in a variety of health care clinics with passionate and knowledgable professionals.

2014-08-27 16:08

My daughter has worked hard so next year she could graduate cna certified. Years of participation in HOSA, paid for uniforms, fees, and years of studying.

2014-08-27 16:12

There is no reason why Columbia county should take away something that they don't even have to pay for. Educating the students inside of Columbia county is what makes our county so prestigious. Taking away the CNA certification does educate anyone and will make many students consider other careers. This is a medical community so why would you take away a medical program?

2014-08-27 16:17

Students should be certified

#33 Give what was promised to those who work to achieve

2014-08-27 16:26

The CNA was an integral part of the clinical program when the decisions by these students was made to participate. Many have put in a great deal of time and effort, some on their own time and at great expense to be a part of the program. It is irresponsible of the school board to make a change this drastic without the complete understanding of the impact. The decision needs to be reversed to allow those involved to achieve their intended goal.

2014-08-27 16:44

Keep it because it's a good program with amazing instructors

2014-08-27 17:08

MUCH needed program!!! I'm an RN & unless you work in the medical field, you do not know the value of this program! DO NOT dismiss this issue!!! We need the CNA program!!! And it is COMPLETELY unfair to deprive these kids of their rightly earned certification!

Shari

2014-08-27 17:15

I have two daughters in the program at Evans High School.  One is a freshman in the Intro to Health class and the other is a senior that has already taken the Intro class and is now in her clinical class.  Both girls, as well as their father and I, are extremely upset about this decision that the county made. Why make the change now after the school year has already started and the students have already started studying for the previous program. We believed this money that we have dished out for all the tests, supplies, scrubs, etc. was being well spent and that they were actually going to get something out of this program. 

Now, what kind of job will they be able to get? EKG certified? There are NO jobs these students can get with only this certification.

Certified Medical Assistant?  Again no jobs!  There are several people that have taken this course and gotten certified to only find themselves searching with no hope in site. 

This change has also caused an uproar within the classes and now the students and teachers are so upset over this ridiculous change that they can't focus on anything else.  Why weren't the parents of these students and even the students themselves given a chance to voice their opinions/thoughts on this change? 

I am an RN and I definitely value the CNAs that I work with. We need more well trained individuals in this field.  Come on Columbia County, do the right thing!  Save the CNA!!! 

Zibby

#37 Completely Agree with Petition!!

2014-08-27 18:33

My daughter is a senior at Greenbrier H.S. in Columbia County. She has gone through significant schedule preparations over the last 3 years in order to include a 2 period Clinical Course in her senior year. Just to qualify for the prerequisites for this course my family has spent over $600.00 in Ga. Virtual Intro courses and CPR/AED/First Aid training. All worth it if my daughter gets the education the previous students received.

Her career path since middle school has been in the medical field. Had she known in her sophomore year that the CNA (and other) certifications were going to be dropped she would have planned her high school courses differently and wouldn’t of taken this course! She’s planned and has taken advantage of as many of the rigorous academic courses offered at Greenbrier. This year that includes the new 7th period class option in which she chose to take an additional AP course and is dual enrolled. It certainly would have been more beneficial for her to take a few more AP Courses in her senior year instead of Clinical…had she known that the Clinical course was going to be reducing some of its most desirable educational advantages.

Certifications from a CTAE course in a student’s senior year can’t be underestimated! This is the bridge from High School to direct employment, it shows universities a student’s motivation in their career path, it gives students on hand experience and confidence. Those are the reasons why CTAE courses are offered in the first place. Columbia County is growing not only in population, but also in building new nursing facilities, medical offices and will soon have a new major hospital. If we want to see Columbia County students finding employment and volunteering their skills in Columbia County we have to offer CTAE courses with certifications.

I think it’s entirely unfair to spring this on the students after they’ve enrolled in the course! After looking at the State and County School Board websites I also think there should be some “heads up” on discussions in course changes so students, parents, and teachers have an opportunity to comment or make advanced preparations to adapt to the changes.

2014-08-27 19:46

We need to have CNA certification available to us. I have made sure to get all my credits to be able to have a double period so I can pursue my medical field career. Without the certification I will be less likely to be getting a job over people who already have a CNA certification.

2014-08-28 00:27

I am agreeance of this petition being that I am the parent whose son attends A. R. Johnson who was allowed the opportunity to attend the CNA program along with testing and now is a Registered Certified Nursing Assistant. I am happy to say that this will give him a leg up in his college requirements needed to be accepted into the Nursing program. This should not be denied to these students who are also taking Advanced Placement Courses like the students at ARJ and seeking to progress in the medical field.

2014-08-28 01:22

My grandson has been looking forward to participating in this program for several year. Now that he and other students that want to advance to a higher level of education are facing the possibility loosing their opportunity to advance. Carl

2014-08-28 10:15

To take away the option of students currently enrolled in Clinical to obtain their CNA certification is completely unfair. Especially given that this decision was announced 3 weeks into the current school year. These students signed up for the class in the spring thinking they would receive their CNAs. A lot of these young adults are wanting to obtain a job working as a CNA while pursuing a degree in the health care field in college. The CNA certification offers a way to obtain valuable experience as well as network while obtaining a degree. To take this opportunity away denies them this valuable opportunity. Furthermore, to do so when they signed up thinking they had the CNA as a goal, is at best poor decision making by the board. These students pay all the costs associated with obtaining this degree, so this clearly isn't a budgeting issue. These young adults deserve to be heard by the board as well as receive an explanation as to why this decision was made. Denying them that just adds insult to injury. I would also like to add as a tax payer in Columbia County, I'm extremely disappointed in the unprofessional way this was handled. It demonstrates poor planning as well as a lack of leadership on the part of the superintendent.

2014-08-28 21:25

I am the parent of Briana Holloway. Who is currently taking the clinical class. Which is such a great opportunity for her and so many other students who enjoy the coarse as well. This class has been made available for sometime and others had the opportunity to become certified. I would like my child and other students to be able to have that advantage as well. So if there is anything I can do further, please let me know.

2014-08-28 22:01

I've always wanted to get my CNA my senior year. I've worked so hard through clinicals and HOSA to learn as much as I can. I enjoy learning about the medical field and the CNA program has always been one of my goals. I'm very upset that I will not be able to receive it my senior year.

2014-08-29 00:41

Why do we have to petition to get something back that we already had? Shouldn't a change require justification and discussion instead of having to fight and petition to keep what we already had and what students are already working for?

2014-08-29 21:17

This needs to stick!

2014-08-29 21:45

If it wasn't for this program, myself and my niece would not have thought nursing was a future for us. It is a wonderful program that gives young adults a caring eye to their future and the future of our growing population.

2014-08-29 22:28

What county are you talking about??

2014-08-29 23:18

I went to Evans High School and received my CNA through them after taking clinicals. Receiving my CNA was such a great accomplishment for me specially graduating high school and already being CNA certified.

2014-08-30 01:04

My sister has worked very hard for three years now, earning her CNA certification. She only has one more year left. You can't change a degree after students have begun working toward it.

2014-08-30 13:39

I am a Registered Nurse and I believe the CNA program is one of our most valuable assets. These young students are our future, don't take this opportunity away.