KEEP THE WOODBRIDGE VILLAGE CENTER, IRVINE!

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition KEEP THE WOODBRIDGE VILLAGE CENTER, IRVINE!.

2014-10-01 03:33

On a personal note, I have fond memories of Woodbridge Village center and know that it is one of the few older things in Irvine that actually has some character. On a professional note, as an architectural historian, I toured it recently with a group of colleagues as an academic study of 1970s city planning. Although not quite 50 years old, I believe the Center could be considered historically significant. It is certainly the centerpiece of an archetypical planned community and was designed by William Periera, a significant architect. Removing the Village Center would be removing a critical element of a neighborhood that is dependent on an organized plan and cohesive design intent. It is some of the city's earliest development and should be retained.

2014-10-01 03:38

My Family use to ride to woodbridge village everything Sunday it will be a very bad thing for the community to lose it especially if it's for apartment and not an update or somethink for the community.

2014-10-01 04:05

Keep the village, enough of new housing
Laura

2014-10-01 04:17

The Woodbridge Center provides a convenient, fun, and low-cost night out for families, that is greatly appreciated. On Tuesdays, Ruby's offers a "kids-eat-free" night; combine this deal with the $1 movie theater, and a family can have a very fun night out together. What a deal! Let's keep the family-friendly center in place!

2014-10-01 04:52

The density all over Irvine is ridiculous. They have been building apartment complexes in the middle of the Industrial areas for several years and now they want to take out the heart of Woodbridge Village. This is tied to the political in fighting that going on as well. No more apartments!!!

2014-10-01 05:46

Unlike most people here, I am absolutely for more housing in Irvine. Housing costs are too expensive, and if we don't increase the amount of housing, those costs will continue to rise and continue to push out all but the wealthiest residents, decreasing Irvine's rich diversity, one of its best characteristics. So I am generally for more housing in the city.

However Getting more people to live in Woodbridge by getting rid of one of the things that makes people want to live in Woodbridge in the first place is very counterproductive. Especially one of the few shopping areas in the city that offers a place to go for residents and families where they don't have to spend a lot of money to have a good time.

Maybe the Center could be zoned to build apartments over the existing businesses - building up instead of out. Maybe some of the less used commercial areas along Barranca could be replaced with new apartment buildings. There are lots of options here so everyone wins without having to get rid of an Irvine landmark.

2014-10-01 06:00

Save our historic center! Say no to more people=more traffic!

#108 Re:

2014-10-01 06:03

#101: -  

Love this! So true and so professional!

PISSED OFF

#109 Irvine Company

2014-10-01 15:34

The Irvine Company is getting ready to remove all leasing offices out of their apartments and go digital ~ this means pink slips to all assistant managers, managers and more. People will view on line what they are looking for in an area and apartments and select online etc etc.  Alot of the newer apartments around the Spectrum don't have security ~ The Irvine Company for years refused to have Walmarts in the city and now they have 2 of them the enviroment has changed, with the consent building of apartments ~ it is now considered the "NEW LOS ANGELES" los angeles has NO money ~ people are moving from L.A. to the O.C. and bringing their careless habits to this beautiful city,. however the ducks and geese at the Woodbridge Lake are sick and they have fishing lines hanging from the outside of their little beaks because the people who have moved here go their to fish and are not told about the rules of fishing there. The lake was meant for the homes around the lake and they pay associated dues for that reason and keeping the community clean and the landscapes.

The Irvine Company is making up for their losses during the worse time of the recession and turning their cheek the drought of all things and projected to last 10 more years!!!! they're insistent on moving on with the new buildings ~ we need to picket and make noise, let the neighboring areas know about the soon to be over crowded schools, hospitals, parking, busy and conjested streets, the people moving in are careless and I've notice alot of dumpster diving in my area of Woodbridge that worries me, these are people NOT from the area. We now have homeless people with carts over whelmed with junk.. it's making me sick to think these changes are coming and not for the better, where are my tax dollars going? The Irvine Company is working fast and hard to beat us down and do their dirty deed ~ DO NOT RE-ELECT THE GREEDY CURRENT POLICITIANS. They need to SLOW DOWN,. AND RETHINK THIS BEFORE ITS TO LATE FOR IRVINE RESIDENTS AND THE COMMUNITIES.

2014-10-01 15:47

Please save the WVC. Maybe lower the rent so more retail business will move in.

2014-10-01 17:09

We chose Irvine to raise our family in 1984. My parents bought in Woodbridge to be close to the family.
Since then, we have seen the Woodbridge Center continually degrade. I think there needs to be better oversight by our city leaders. Vote accordingly in our next election. These apartment homes (?) are ruining Irvines quality of life with roadway congestion, noise and pollution.

2014-10-01 17:15

It is offensive that you offer more visibility for a price.

2014-10-01 17:29

I've lived in Woodbridge most of my life. I have 3 children who love to visit the "Center" like I did when I was their ages.
Don't do this!

2014-10-01 20:13

Please don't tear this center down. You don't need apartments here. This is a space that hosts so many people on date nights and has held and cultivated lasting memories. I moved from Irvine a year ago and I still frequent this area often :(

2014-10-01 20:42

This is my childhood! It can't be shut down. Irvine is growing way too quickly and losing it's authentic history. This center is very popular and is the perfect location. There can be many things added to it to keep it running great! No need to build more houses and shut down the legacy of Woodbridge

2014-10-01 20:56

Irvine is losing what made it so great. I grew up in Irvine and we all are leaving. It's way to crowded. It takes 30 mins to drive 3 blocks to go to the store. It's turning into LA and with it will come all it's issues. I wish this city would stop and just bring it down a notch

2014-10-01 21:26

I have grown up in Irvine my whole life. This is a landmark for Woodbridge. My parents used to take my sisters and I up to Ruby's and the cinema. I now take my own daughter up there almost every weekend. SAVE THIS PLACE PLEASE!

2014-10-01 21:42

Keep the center there!

2014-10-01 21:56

I came ti Irvine 1981 now Irvine is so croweded specially in Woodbridge no more homes or appartments.

2014-10-01 21:59

Being that this is one of the older areas in Irvine I think it's important to keep it. The housing is booming and we don't need anymore apartment communities. Please keep the Woodbridge Center!

2014-10-01 22:24

Let's keep Woodbrige family friendly and not overcrowded!

#122 Re: Re: dr, dentists and medical

2014-10-01 22:48

#70: - Re:  

The sick thing about the Irvine greedy monsters is they got rid of the Von's super market in that center and their plan in the day was to build more hospitals eg( Kaiser) and Hoag) and medical centers, dentists etc. in the exact center there on Barranca,. they also got rid of SteinMart 

and since then they aren't making the money they thought it would generate. So with that said

they are bringing Los Angeles and all its people to this overly populated area. Its a darn shame

its going to be hard to stop Donald Breen...((too much money))

2014-10-01 23:35

Irvine's increasing population is rapidly overwhelming its ability to provide sufficient and quality infrastructure (roads, water, sewer, power), as well as schools, teachers, police, fire and paramedic services. The community should not also have to be deprived of the history of their city. If Irvine Company would take some time, energy and planning into finding appropriate commercial entities for Woodbridge Village Center, it would definitely re-emerge as a go-to location once again. Try harder!
Heath Farmer

#124 A Bad Business Decision

2014-10-01 23:45

PLEASE CONSIDER WHY THIS IS A BAD BUSINESS DECISION:

One of the greatest allurements of Irvine is its atmosphere. Over the years, both the City of Irvine and the Irvine Company have done an amazing job in promoting its atmosphere by executing a great symmetry between its residential properties and commercial properties–many commercial properties of which are used for public leisure. However, in the past few years, it appears that the Irvine Company has intently disregarded the people of Irvine's need and will for areas of leisure and have begun to focus on, not only nearly exclusively building more residential properties, but down-right replacing areas of leisure with residential properties. Already, the Irvine Company has demolished Wild Rivers, is about to end the lease for Verizon Wireless Amphitheater/Irvine Meadows, and now wants to do away with the beautiful, aesthetically pleasing Woodbridge Village Center, all in the effort to replace these attractions with residential properties.

Though it's only logical to use the Irvine Company's land and property in the most profitable manner, to replace some plots of land which many locals have strong emotional attachments to, like the Woodbridge Village Center, with housing is actually counterintuitive to the Irvine Company's overall profitability. This makes the people's homes feel like less of a home, and thus, the atmosphere is negatively altered, and thus, longtime residents/Irvine Company customers are repelled. Additionally, it contributes to the "bland" reputation that Irvine has unfortunately been developing amongst young people in recent years, and thus, dissuades new families from coming in and growing communities.

As a real estate company, there is nothing more offensive to your customers than to make home feel less like home. The Woodbridge Village Center is known by Irvine locals as a place where heart-warming memories are made with every visit - this setting is VERY unique compared to other shopping centers, as we all know. Replacing atmospheric areas of leisure with residential properties is a delicate balancing act, and unfortunately, this move just might be the one to push Irvine residents/The Irvine Company's customers over the edge.

2014-10-02 00:44

The woodbridge village center is awesome. Woodbridge is awesome. And one of the reasons why woodbridge is so great is because of its size. More people more issues..... There is no way around that. Keep woodbridge the special place that is by keeping it the size that it is!!!