Public Hearing for Gateway Development

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Public Hearing for Gateway Development.

2014-11-07 00:55

This is a terrible waste of public funds. There is nothing in this development plan that benefits me as a resident of Mission and I know many others feel the same.

We have just finished building up our downtown corridor, let us not ruin all that hard work and expense by allowing a Super Walmart to come in against the will of the public.

2014-11-07 02:40

I really feel like the wishes of the residents have been ignored for too long. Although I would love to have the gateway developed, I don't feel like he deserves one cent of my money to help him bring Wal-Mart to Mission. I don't want walmart in Mission and I certainly don't want to pay for it!

2014-11-07 13:16

I have spoken to many Mission residents, neighbors and friends and almost no Mission residents want Walmart to move to the East Gateway Project location site, especially without some of the better tenants coming along with it. Not a penny of tax dollars should be spent to move Walmart from its current location. This may be a short-sited fix for the "black hole" in the city, but relocating Walmart to our city would be a long-term poor decision for Mission residents, the city and the surrounding neighborhoods, regardless of the tax revenue it's projected to bring with it.

Christie Meller, Roeland Park resident

2014-11-07 16:23

It looks like this petition is meant to be for Mission residents, so I'll just show my support in the comments.  As a Roeland Park property owner just up the street, I sincerely hope the city council votes a resounding no to this project.  I say that with the full expectation that Walmart will leave RP whether the Gateway supercenter gets built or not.  This isn't about RP and property taxes, but rather what is being proposed at the end of my street.  I didn't love the proposal before, but at least with Sprouts, a fitness option, and a movie theater, I could begrudgingly throw support behind it even as I had no desire for a superwalmart and suspected the residential aspects of the project had little chance of success...especially with the apartment communities already going up in Mission and the Woodside Village development providing competition.

I sincerely hope the Mission city council members take a look at the comments on the PV post story regarding the plan changes and does the right thing in allowing public hearings on the development of a space that will very likely define the communities of Mission, Roeland Park, and to an extent, Fairway for the coming decades.