kids created equal

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition kids created equal.

2014-12-05 17:22

I think this is a great idea I support 100%

2014-12-05 17:23

This is such an awesome petition

2014-12-05 17:37

All children are created equal in the eyes of God. We need to make sure they are treated that way - at home, and especially at school.

2014-12-05 17:51

As I've seen personally how it affects children I believe this is a good idea. Atleast wait to do such things until they are much older. Children need to understand that you don't always win, but to always know they gave it their all, and did their best and should be proud of themselves for such. But I don't believe it should be started so young. It's harder for them to understand, and crushes their self esteem too soon, and only gives them the thought they weren't good enough.

2014-12-05 18:01

I hope you know that it is people like you who ruin any kind of fun any child could have. Who cares if you don't win? Most kids don't care and if the do, give it 5minutes. They will get over it. Instead of trying to set this piss poor example for you kids that work and effort can get you somewhere and that it can be fun how about teaching your children better sportsmanship. There is nothing wrong with competitions. Get over it and yourself. So how about you print this post out and take it to the school board to side against you. Unless it's a competition to see what you can achieve. Then in that case I bet you leave it unshown.
Effort

#6 Pathetic

2014-12-05 18:08

It is called fun.  These so called competitions are about school spirit and fun.  In addition, they do not require money to participate, they require effort. After reading the STAR numbers in the paper recently it appears that nearly 30% of the student population in the lower grade levels do not put forth any effort.  At home or in school.  Lack of effort to have fun, work, or enjoy anything in life will always translate to wanting a hand out later in life or expecting special rules made for them.  Suck it up, get over it, and put forth some effort and enjoy life!

2014-12-05 18:15

Schools need to stop making everything in to a contest. It hurts a bunch of kids and I don't think schools realize this.

#8 Stupid

2014-12-05 18:33

If this is the sort of thing people are worried about and this actually goes to the schools, this generation will be raised a bunch of pussies, you gotta learn that you can't always win, kids need to learn that sometimes you just can't win and they need to live and learn, if you protect them too much, when they get older they'll be a bunch of sissies

#9 Really?

2014-12-05 19:16

I think this bothers the parents more than the kids! I think you should start a petition making it mandatory for parents to be at the proper destination when your kids get dropped off after school! It's a shame to see the same parents over and over not showing up at the but stop to get their kids or not being home when the bus arrives at the same time everyday  but, let one get dropped off with out a parent present and they call KTVO.

#10 Re: Really?

2014-12-05 19:22

#9: Guest - Really? 

Yes really. I don't think bus drop off has anything to do with this. But since you brought it up, the bus isn't always there the same time, nor do they wait the amount of time they're supposed to. And ktvo was involved for a driver not doing her job, and the child bein put on the WRONG BUS and dropped off at the WRONG STOP, and being LEFT with NO SUPERVISION

#11 Re: Stupid

2014-12-05 19:33

#8: - Stupid 

A bunch of sissies? Really? I believe contests should wait until atleast jr high. It's not all jut up to the parents: you can teach and preach at home as much as possible, but the environment t school and such will have a different affect on them either way. Use as example, all the children who've commuted suicide in the last few years due to bullying. You can express how great your child is, and that some kids are just mean or whatever you want to tell them. But it obviously didn't make all of them feel better when they're still bein put down at school. I guess those kids who's confidence was ruined and took their own lives were a bunch of sissies too huh? Try telling their parents they weren't doing their job as a parent, and it's not the schools responsibility to educate on such matters and that's why they took their own life. See how far that gets you.

#12 Consider

2014-12-05 19:35

However, contests in different areas do help kids self esteem, for example a flashcard contest with words or a contest with math problems. It shows them what they are good at and how they can improve and learn from others. It gives them the self motivation to be better and not sore losers. If u were to try to pass this how is this any different than kids sports games or the videos games they always play? It teaches the children how to show good sportsmanship when losing or winning. It  also gives them a real grasp on the real world, where believe it or not there are winners and losers. Not subjecting these kids to any competition and then throwing them into competition once they are older will just be devastating for these kids. In a world where everyone gets a sticker to a world where you lose? That's more detramental to a child than showing how to lose and how to win respectfully. I encourage people to think about this before signing this petition. A kid winning a coloring contest? What's the harm? The kid may discover he is good at drawing and coloring. Maybe because of this he finds a new hobby and a new love in which he one day becomes a graphic designer. Kids have a natural tendency to make things a competition and taking away the schools right to even hold a field day (because mind you that is competition) will not stop them from holding contests amongst themselves on the play ground. I think for this to be successful it needs to be more specific on what you want to limit. 

2014-12-05 20:21

I agree with this petition.  At such a young age, parents and teachers must remember to respect the individuality of each child.  There is no need for comparisons like the ones you mentioned in the petition.  They are still so young, kids need to feel that they are valued for who they are.  That counts for a lot for them.  Other comments used words like sissy or coddling or just suck it up.  I think in the end, we need to teach kindness.  If it's an event like crazy hair day, we can teach kids to say kind things to one another like, "wow, that's cool," or "wow, neat hair," instead of lining them up for a winner.  I see how choosing a winner can take away from the innocent fun of the day.

#14 Re:

2014-12-05 20:24

#13: -  

Thank you! That is exactly the point I was trying to get out I guess I didn't word it very good.