U-46 bring our librarians back full time!

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition U-46 bring our librarians back full time! .

Doreen Trunk

2011-01-27 22:10

All the focus on Literacy and kids only get books once every two weeks!
George Phelan

#27 Librarians

2011-01-27 22:45

School District U-46 lost one of the greatest librarians ever known: Denise Considine. Bring her back!
Deva

#28 Bring back the librarians

2011-01-27 23:17

If reading is so important why cut back precisely in the Library.
Aaron Mendoza

#29 We need our kids to read + NCLB = Bringing our Librarians Back Full Time!

2011-01-28 00:35

Without librarians, students exposed to rich and varied literature sits unused in our shelves.
Helen Bibler

#30 Librarians Are Teachers!

2011-01-28 02:10

Not only should we bring back ALL of our librarians, we should have qualified school library professionals in our elementary schools. It is criminal what we are doing to children in U-46 - they get NO instruction in research or technology, and the libraries are only as good as they are because we've been lucky to have fantastic para-pros in the elementary schools being paid far less than the love and care they put into the jobs. Shame on us for not making libraries the hearts of our schools.
desiree steele

2011-01-28 04:42

i love U-46 librarians!
Nicte Gomez-Klapperich

#32 Bring them back!

2011-01-28 05:24

Our libraries at schools are not being full time used!! TO SAD!! Please bring the librarians back, we need Mrs. Considine, Mrs. Davies and all the others soon!

Ane Jasarobski

#33 Reading

2011-01-28 06:19

Reading is encouraged not only for children but for everyone!! The school library is a key factor in showing our children how important, educational and enjoyable reading can be! If the school library isn't available, then the less enthused students will tend to think "well I guess if the school doesn't think the library is necessary, then I don't think it it matters whether I read or not"
As parents, we may not all be able to purchase books through the book fair or book order forms; we may not even have transportation to get to the public library! I can't definitely say I speak for myself in both of these cases!! My daughter is in 2nd grade and she can read up to 5-6 books each night , at her reading level!! As a society, there must be something within our power to overturn this decision that's been made we can't have our children not have books available!
Ronald Lange

#34 Librarians needed full-time in U-46

2011-01-28 07:08

It is crucial that librarians be reinstated full-time in all U-46 school libraries!! Denying children and staff access to badly needed reading materials will continue to have a negative impact on literacy and developing an interest in reading.
Parent/tax payer

#35 Problem solving

2011-01-28 14:13

I appreciate the access to literacy materials my children have been given through their school libraries and I understand the nature of the work of a librarian, from my own experiences. That being stated, I am in full support of finding the means to have libraries open each week at each school. This is definitely a problem that needs a solution or some kind of resolution between the district level decision makers and the unions the librarians and para-professionals belong to. I find it difficult to sign a petition without the suggestion of a solution to this unfortunate circumstance.
Erika Lopez

2011-01-28 15:34

In order to help our children find a love for reading we must allow them the time they spend in the library finding out what thier interests are.
Luz S Munoz-Garcia

#37 We need it

2011-01-28 15:37

I completely agree that library services should not be shortened. Reading is the basis of all education and the resources that are taught during weekly library time are irreplaceable.

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2011-01-28 16:24

Patti Incapreo

#39 Bring back our librarians full time

2011-01-28 16:32

School libraries are a powerful force in the lives of America’s children. The
school library is one of the few factors whose contribution to academic achievement has
been documented empirically, and it is a contribution that cannot be explained away by
other powerful influences on student performance.
Elizabeth Zuniga

#40 Librarians

2011-01-28 22:22

Our schools are crippled because of the lack of full time librarians. They do so much more than simply check out books. My children have learned to value reading through the availabilty of librarians to guide their reading choices -- my children's teachers need all the help they can get in promoting literacy. Additionally, my students have benefitted so much from the instruction the librarians have provided in the past. We cannot generate literate people from our district without the expertise librarians provide.
Elizabeth Oswald

#41 Students finally begin to understand the magic of reading

2011-01-29 00:34

"Teacher, do you know when I finished my first book? In this class!" A seventh-grader told me this, and others echoed his comment. My small classroom library can't compare to what we have to offer in our middle school library. How can we stifle this newfound desire to enter the worlds found in reading? Our students are limited in their access to the school library, and our librarian is trying so hard to manage two school libraries with excellence. Please, please return our librarians to full time in each school.
liliana -Berrios_Cantillo

#42 Bring librarians back full time

2011-01-29 04:31

As a Teacher and a Mother I recognize the powerful tool of reading all types of books in different contexts.The Kids learn not just about words but also they learn about the real world and their powerful cultures.
The frequency of reading will increase our kids interest in learning about all subjects and topics.School is an important enviroment and as a second home for our kids,it should provide most ooportunities for reading and consulting all types of books.

U-46 Bilingual Teacher
Illinois Park

#43 Re: Bring librarians back full time

2011-01-29 05:19

Diane Graffagna

#44 Librarian's are needed!

2011-01-29 05:51

Reading is integral to a child's education. Please bring back this important resource.
Joyce

#45 Re: only in Disney

2011-01-29 07:52

#21: just me - only in Disney 

It's way more than just checking out books! Our librarian used to read to the kids every week and fostered their love for reading. With the literacy framework the teachers have to follow now it leaves little time for such activities.

C M

2011-01-29 18:43

If we want students to love reading they need books in their hands every week!!!!
Emily McKenna

2011-01-29 20:32

As an educator, I know the importance of literacy. In my district, all librarians, elementary, middle, and high school are FULL TIME. School librarians are essential in helping our students succeed! Teacher that utilize their school librarians are doing their students a huge favor. Librarians teach important skills, get children excited about reading, and are a huge resource for teachers in a school. Please, please, please hire these librarians full time again, the teachers and students need this resource FULL TIME. It is IMPERATIVE for our success as a district, especially with the new common core standards coming our way. It is unfair to our students and tax payers.
Concerned

#48 #35-parent/taxpayer

2011-01-29 22:36

As an employee of u-46 who is VERY familiar with the librarians and library para-pros, I feel you are very misinformed in regards to "problem solving" within the district. The library para-pros and other para-professionals are among the lowest paid employees in the district. A solution via the union was not and is not negotiable. The district based their decisions on "money" and who was dispensable. Not ONE library para-pro does their job for the money; but for the love of children, reading and books.
Claudia Diaz

#49 Librarians

2011-01-30 06:45

It is pretty ironic that the School Distirct is RIFing so many people who works directly with students and on the other hand they are hiring more administrative personnel with salaries over 100,000 yearly.
Christopher Barry

2011-01-30 20:47

As a taxpayer in U-46, I find it reprehensible that our school libraries have been shuttered for 50% of the time and services diminished to each and every student and staff member in our district. Not every child has access to the public library, but a school library offers all children a close-at-hand facility with current literature and a knowledgeable librarian to assist all.